The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I got so bored I had to pull this DVD and watched it the other day:

https://www.amazon.com/NHL-Stanley-Cup-2005-2006-Champions/dp/B000FA57HQ

It's cheap now, but if you don't want to buy it, the basic content is available on YouTube:

Tonight I got my Canadian fix by watching CFL Thursday NIght Football - Montreal Alouettes v. BC Lions. Alouettes fell apart in the second half and lost 35-18.

Always a good watch.  We were a good team.

Olympics start tonight (soccer already going) so that will get us 2 weeks closer.

Olympics start tonight (soccer already going) so that will get us 2 weeks closer.

Soccer? No thanks. I can look out my window and watch grass grow.

Soccer? No thanks. I can look out my window and watch grass grow.

Don't worry, you have synchronized diving to look forward to.

I've been spending my hockey time revisiting the recent draft.

I've revisited scouting reports, video highlights, ISS and CSS draft rankings, media rankings, and mock drafts.

I've concluded that Jake Bean had the highest offensive upside of any defenseman in the drat and I think this is an underrated pick due to our current depth at D.

Hope everyone's sign in issues aren't like Tops.

I have to admit I wasn't even entertaining the possibility we would take a D man and spent very little time on them. One of the things I wonder about Bean is his how he sort of burst on the scene when he wasn't initially that highly regarded. Seems to speak to his upside, like, as good as he is now, he's relatively early in his development, and the upside is bigger even than it seems. The other thing, and I'm too lazy right now to look it up, was someone, a coach maybe, saying something like they all have to be on guard or be open to him on the ice, or something that implied he brought the unexpected sometimes, in a good, positive, disruptive way, like outside the box. Did I dream that? I'm pretty sure I read something like that.

Edited by remkin

I'm kind of up and down on trampoline.

I'm sort of back and forth on tennis.

Ouch.....did I actually write that? We need some kind of hockey fast.

And rhythmic gymnastics. Don't forget the rhythmic gymnastics.

Tennis is more boring than soccer although women's tennis captures my attention for at least a little while. :grin:

The reason I'm assuming Coastal can watch women's tennis for a while is the same reason I could watch rhythmic gymnastics.  :grin: :grin:

Edited by LakeLivin

If we are going to be reduced to watching women's events just for the visuals, I have heard that some of that may be found somewhere on the Internet.

my ranking of games with two nets a people trying to put a projectile into them, and a goalie defending them.

1. HOCKEY!!!

2. In line hockey

3. Floor Hockey

4. Field Hockey

5. Soccer

6. Indoor Soccer

7. Underwater Hockey

8. Broom Ball

9. Unicycle Hockey

10. Ringette

30. Water Polo

I think wiffle ball should be an Olympic sport.

Hot dog eating and beer guzzling rank right up there as well.

A good hollerin' competition should also be added.  Every nation can holler.  Hell, make em balance a ball on their head while hollerin.  I would watch this.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think I might watch wiffle ball. Not sure, but that could be watchable for a good 15 minutes or so.

Speaking of watching, looks like we will make the playoffs out of view of the national viewing audience.

NBC released its schedule of 92 games.

Best I can tell Carolina is on once. On the cable operation. I may have missed one, but I counted one.

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2016/8/4/12385008/nhl-on-nbc-game-schedules

I think wiffle ball should be an Olympic sport.

Hot dog eating and beer guzzling rank right up there as well.

A good hollerin' competition should also be added.  Every nation can holler.  Hell, make em balance a ball on their head while hollerin.  I would watch this.

Those sound as legitimate as dressage or sailing to me.  Of course, dressage and sailing = money = influence, so they're not going anywhere.

I'm not going to be watching water polo, but it seems to me like they've got to be some of the fittest athletes around.  Not only is there the swimming (including time treading water using just the feet), ever see an underwater shot of the action? It's way more physical than I would have imagined. 

I'm curious: outside of long distance running or swimming, what other sports do others think might require the fitness level of top tier water polo players?

Edited by LakeLivin

If we are going to be reduced to watching women's events just for the visuals, I have heard that some of that may be found somewhere on the Internet.

According to one of Lake's theories (abbreviated since this is a family site): it's not necessarily what you see, but where you see it.  A full discussion of the theory, with associated examples, resulted in an extended period of laughter at one of our poker game a number of years ago (think George Costanza getting caught by his mother with a Glamour magazine).  

Edited by LakeLivin