The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

And thanks--didn't realize I'd lost the hat! 

I was worried.  Without the hat, the cosmic rays will interact with the chemicals from the jet con trails and next thing you know, the government will be able to activate the chip in your head that the CIA implanted with the tech from the aliens.

Truth is the NC State Fair out grew that old site a long time ago. 

That's an accurate and simple concept.

Some people just don't understand the basic concept that you can't shovel 5 pounds of *edit* in a bucket designed for three.  Their fix is to go out and spend mega bucks for a fancy new shovel- and poof - everything is all fixed.

The thing that changes whether a historic site can be moved or renovated is Dollars... Sooner or later someone will figure out the simple math, more people bring more cash... or as stated above a bigger bucket totes more crap!!

Think there may have been a reason that the arena was built next to (existing) Carter Finley Stadium and (existing) NC State Fairgrounds?  The arena makes use of the parking and infrastructure that was existing prior to construction.  Yes, let's blame the Fair.  The Fair may have outgrown the facility, but new facilities aren't cheap and don't grow on trees.  If they did, the Canes could just rub their magic genie bottle and get them a facility that they didn't have to share with anyone and away from other activities.

This diversion brought to you by the month of August.

I was worried.  Without the hat, the cosmic rays will interact with the chemicals from the jet con trails and next thing you know, the government will be able to activate the chip in your head that the CIA implanted with the tech from the aliens.

FINALLY! Someone else who GETS IT!!!

That's an accurate and simple concept.

Some people just don't understand the basic concept that you can't shovel 5 pounds of *edit* in a bucket designed for three.  Their fix is to go out and spend mega bucks for a fancy new shovel- and poof - everything is all fixed.

Growth necessitates spending money on infrastructure. T'was ever thus. Now, if you want to ignore that, okay. But if roads were never improved, public facilities not added, etc.--well, there'd be no PNC, either.

Think there may have been a reason that the arena was built next to (existing) Carter Finley Stadium and (existing) NC State Fairgrounds?  The arena makes use of the parking and infrastructure that was existing prior to construction.  Yes, let's blame the Fair.  The Fair may have outgrown the facility, but new facilities aren't cheap and don't grow on trees. 

Please point to where I suggest building any new facility? The Fair should stay where it is, and I can even agree with their refusal to move the dates. A couple of weeks earlier is peak harvest time in NC; nobody in Ag is going to attend at that time.

I'm just saying that ignoring the growth that has taken place around you and refusing to see the mutual benefits that would accrue to all concerned by increasing the capacities of the adjacent roads is sticking your head in the sand. Assuming Raleigh continues to grow as it has, those roads abutting the fairgrounds will have to be upgraded sooner or later. Road building is oil-intensive, and oil is cheap--so what makes more sense, doing it now, or waiting until you have no choice, and risking much higher costs?

And if you wait until you have no choice, retrofitting to the existing growth already in place will cot much more, regardless where the price of oil is. Just ask any city that has tried to add sidewalks to areas where they allowed development without them, thinking, "The city will never come out this far." Well, guess what?

NCDOT has been out in front of growth all over the state; just look at Route 64 heading toward the OBX, or 70 toward AB. The widening/improvements to these roads happened way in advance of the increased tourism those destinations have seen. Why not be similarly smart around the huge entertainment complex we're talking about? 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Top, I didn't say you said that.  Somebody else mentioned moving the site.  Don't be paranoid and get that tin foil hat back on.  Swamp gas may ignite and reflect off a weather balloon.

Edited by super_dave_1

I thought I posted this, but must have lost it.

While we still have to win the games, and it's harder with the opening road trip, the first 12 games of the year are against teams the based on last year's point totals are all beatable.

We face only one top 10 team, the Rangers, who were #9, and probably slip a bit this year, and we get them in our home opener.

Points rankings of teams first 12 games by rank:

Road Trip:

Philly: #13

Detroit: #15

Winnipeg: #25

Calgary: #26

Vancouver: #28

Edmonton: #29

Next 6:

Rangers #9

Flyers #13

Sens #19

Preds #14

NJ #20

NJ #20

It is doable is all I'm saying.

Top, I didn't say you said that.  Somebody else mentioned moving the site.  Don't be paranoid and get that tin foil hat back on.  Swamp gas may ignite and reflect off a weather balloon.

Just make sure it really is *tin* foil. That aluminum crap doesn't block anything - in fact, there's evidence it amplifies certain frequencies. It's true - I read it in "The Atlantic"! ;-)

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/09/tin-foil-hats-actually-make-it-easier-for-the-government-to-track-your-thoughts/262998/

Just make sure it really is *tin* foil. That aluminum crap doesn't block anything - in fact, there's evidence it amplifies certain frequencies. It's true

...or is it?  Is that what they want you to think?

The best way to get us to not wear our tin foil hats is to tell us they don't work.

I thought I posted this, but must have lost it.

While we still have to win the games, and it's harder with the opening road trip, the first 12 games of the year are against teams the based on last year's point totals are all beatable.

We face only one top 10 team, the Rangers, who were #9, and probably slip a bit this year, and we get them in our home opener.

Points rankings of teams first 12 games by rank:

Road Trip:

Philly: #13

Detroit: #15

Winnipeg: #25

Calgary: #26

Vancouver: #28

Edmonton: #29

Next 6:

Rangers #9

Flyers #13

Sens #19

Preds #14

NJ #20

NJ #20

It is doable is all I'm saying.

It's more than doable then.  It's imperative.  We'll be whining a lot of the rest of the season how hard the schedule is.  If the easier games are early we gotta win 'em.

Well, now that parking issues, State Fair, and 1st part of season has been hashed out, wondered on thoughts on here regarding resignation of Patrick Roy? On a side note, anyone think that could influence any trade we might have been contemplating with them?

O Dear Hockey, please come back and save us!   :)

No *edit*.  :lol:

Sorry guys. I could talk urban planning all day.

Then again, I have no life.  :(  :lol:

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well, now that parking issues, State Fair, and 1st part of season has been hashed out, wondered on thoughts on here regarding resignation of Patrick Roy? On a side note, anyone think that could influence any trade we might have been contemplating with them?

If you think our off-season talk is "turrible," Kjun, look how desperate they are for any hockey headline - any headline whatsoever, apparently - in Montreal! Total clickbait, as the writer himself allows (about 8 paragraphs in, of course) that the odds of Roy replacing Therrien are slim and none. Somebody needed a column and fast, and Roy's resignation saved that scribe's (Canadian) bacon. 

Montreal is one of my favorite cities, but I don't know why anybody would want to coach its hockey team. And just check out the quotes from Roy in that piece, thanking Habs' fans for making him their #1 pick for the job a couple years back. (And I thought Trump had a big ego.) Given Roy's "achievements" in Denver, I wonder if the results would be different now. Okay, no I don't--the Bell Centre's big promotion next season? Tin Foil Hat Night. 

As far as trades with the Avs or anyone else, I think we're done for now. But even if we aren't, it looks like Roy would have had little influence on any deal. His resignation comments indicate that he wanted more control over personnel moves than he was getting. That'd be like giving John Tortorella the keys to the sanitarium.

Edit: And what a crappy time to do this to the Avs. If you're going to quit, at least have the decency to give the org time to find a replacement. Patrick Roy was, is, and will (apparently) remain a spiteful loose cannon whose only interest is Patrick Roy.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Thanks for your thoughts, top. Never been to Montreal, so can't comment on that topic, but love your thoughts on Roy. Great goalie, but have never thought much of his "people skills". My thought on trade scenario with Avs was not that he had much to do directly, but that someone following him might have a different player perspective?

As for the rather crappy predicament he now leaves the team with, that, I think, more than bears out his priorities!!!

I would have to think that Roy wanted a shake up trade of some kind, perhaps the kind that involved a big name like Duchene. I'm speculating that because Colorado didn't make such a move and Roy quit over not having a say in personnel decisions. Now this is pure speculation on my part, but I would take this to mean that Colorado is less likely to make a major, Duchene type move, and more likely to focus on a new system and coach.

The problem for us w/ a Duchene move is that we would almost certainly have to give up Faulk, from our end, and I just think Francis is very hesitant to make that move yet.

Further evidence is the decree that TT-Aho-Lindholm is a line. That means our centers are set. Of course that can always be changed, and there is no doubt we would be a playoff team with Duchene, assuming that goalies and Defense could hold it together without Faulk, but it just seems like that move just is not happening.

Several tweets by Av media indicate the "dust up" was over him not being allowed to be involved in the draft and influence those picks or be involved in other personnel moves.

Avs fans seem happy he's gone as they didn't think too much of him as a coach.

Avs fans seem happy he's gone as they didn't think too much of him as a coach.

Pull the goalie with 5 minutes left is only cool the first time -- that it works.  Then it gets old.

Roy is one of my favorite all time players, and my favorite goalie to have ever watched. That being said, I don't know if his ... hair trigger mentality is best suited for coaching. Here's a video of the top 10 (supposedly) goalie fights and Roy is in 3 of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiVZmSZyy0

He was good, but Pogge could have shown him a thing or two.

Roy is one of my favorite all time players, and my favorite goalie to have ever watched. That being said, I don't know if his ... hair trigger mentality is best suited for coaching. Here's a video of the top 10 (supposedly) goalie fights and Roy is in 3 of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiVZmSZyy0

Even better, he passed the "crazy" gene on to his kids, Jonathan...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=3311529

and Freddie:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/video-patrick-roys-son-frederick-snaps-at-spengler-cup/

Jonathan is now pursuing a singing career, with the support of Corey "Sunglasses at Night" Hart. Frederick, meanwhile, also played for the Remparts, where he got a 15-game suspension for hi-sticking. He (somehow--maybe the influence of an HOF dad??) went on to play for the AHL's Rochester Americans, netting 16 goals and 22 total points in 117 games--as a CENTER!! He's now doing non-hockey things--as I suspect his dad will be, at least for a while, as well.

Hopefully Nicolas has no blood from this b@t$hit crazy Quebecois line running through his veins.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Wanted to back track just a bit to some thoughts I had on the debated subject from a couple of days ago concerning the momentum killing slow starts our team annually has suffered for at least the past 5 years. Seems as if in searching for some type of explanation, several have/and are taking to task the unfortunate timing that pits the age-old County Fair vs the upstart of Canes opening weeks.

Now I fully get that starting the season off with several weeks of road games can, and seems to have directly correlated with our team's being put in the unfortunate position of having to crawl out of a seemingly bottomless "hole". There is no doubt that as I consider, as I'm sure many of you also feel, what starting in familiar surroundings, especially enjoying home cooking and conveniences not present in hotels, could do for influencing early season outcomes. Therefore, I fully sympathize with top's and several others' wanting to somehow getting some consideration from parking situation, NHL scheduling, etc to allow some fairness in the matter for this team.

Now, having said all that, I'd like to interject a slightly different take on the matter. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts might be regarding what I'll refer to as "travel ability" of this YOUNG team vs those of the past several years? Before further explaining, let me also explain that one facet of the Stanley Cup 05-06 team which appeared at the time to be masterful in Laviolette's approach to that season, was how, if you recall, he seemed to place an inordinate amount of emphasis on "team bonding". Now, I don't know, that may have been just standard protocol used by all teams and I was just too neophyte in the sport then to realize it, but I always credited that movement as being a KEY to that team's success.

Now to elaborate on my thought concerning the difference of early schedule travels between this and teams of the past. Think for a moment how you enjoyed travel thru various stages in your life(presuming you are older which I know several reading this are not). At any rate, if one is young, without a family, and have not traveled extensively, than the experience can be exciting. As one gets older, and takes on a family, not only is travel more drugerous, but it becomes onerous. Thus, as I see this team, THIS YEAR, I think there could be more excitement attached to the opening schedule. This could be particularly true when one eliminates the melancholy that appeared to be Eric Staal.

Finally, add in too, there is the reputed benefit of bonding that distraction free travel sites allow, and I am hopeful that the early schedule will produce good things, rather than our dreaded 0fer!!!

Edited by KJUNKANE