The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I'm kind of glad our players aren't going to be involved in the World Cup thing.  I get the argument that our players aren't good enough, but I would much rather have them in Raleigh and not getting their knee blown out in a non NHL game.

Ditto that, except I'm freakin' ELATED. Bettman's follies are bound to be two weeks of ASG-quality hockey as everybody tries real hard--not to get injured.

Both Rask and Lindholm were key components of the Swedish IIHF team in 2015. This summer Rask had surgery and Lindholm took a break from international competition for the first time in five years. BD calls that a problem; I call it smart. 

If you guys and gals haven't read the piece on NHL.com with the outlook for the Canes, it's a worthy read.

1. Will there be enough scoring?

Carolina was 27th in the NHL in scoring each of the past two seasons (2.39 goals per game last season; 2.23 in 2014-15), not an easy problem to fix under any circumstances. But the Hurricanes are building for the next decade rather than just next season. Swinging for the fences was not an option.

"Does it makes sense to give a 32- or 33-year-old a six-year contract for a lot of money?" general manager Ron Francis asked. "It probably doesn't fit with what we're trying to build."

So the Hurricanes made a series of sensible acquisitions, hoping for more productivity from a new mix. Stempniak (19 goals last season with the New Jersey Devils and Boston Bruins) and Teravainen (13 goals with the Chicago Blackhawks) effectively replace departed top-six forwards Eric Staal (10 goals before being traded to the New York Rangers) and Kris Versteeg (11 goals before being traded to the Los Angeles Kings).    

To challenge for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Hurricanes will need to add more forwards who can score 20 or so goals. Management has addressed the need for more skill, but the offense would benefit from more net-front presence to bolster scoring as well.

This is pretty much what most of us have been buying into.  It also does address the need for scoring, and we aren't ignorant of that.  I just think with the under the radar signings, adding TT, the possibility of Aho doing something, and the continued advancement of the young guys on the team, there may be enough improvement to get the team to the hump and maybe over it.

Ok I will grow up.  You're so right. Crosby who has had consecutive 80+ point seasons probably isn't going to reach 80 points this season giving us a chance!  Or Backstrom who has had 3 consistent 70+ point seasons.  Probably won't do that in 2016 giving us more of a chance to win games,  Or Lundqvist for NYR who has had 7 consistent .92% + seasons probably won't hit a .92 save % this season so we might have a chance there with NYR.  I mean come on, he has only provided elite goal tending for 7 straight years right?  That's obviously not going to happen this season!  This is no longer the SouthEast where this team had just Washington to worry about and on occasion TPA.  This team is now in a more competitive division with some of the big dogs and this team has yet to make the playoffs while in this division.  It's either adjust or miss the playoffs again just like we did last year.

Edited by bluedevil58

It's either adjust or miss the playoffs again just like we did last year.

How have we not adjusted, BD? We've replaced Eric Staal's, Kris Versteeg's, and Chris Terry's '15-'16 total of 88 points (with all teams, reg season) with Stemp's and TT's and Stalberg's total of 106. Without committing to any of them long-term. Which brings us back to that other question you continually refuse to answer. 

How have we not adjusted, BD? We've replaced Eric Staal's, Kris Versteeg's, and Chris Terry's '15-'16 total of 88 points (with all teams, reg season) with Stemp's and TT's and Stalberg's total of 106. Without committing to any of them long-term. Which brings us back to that other question you continually refuse to answer. 

My answer to that is the verdict is still out.  We truly won't know until the mid way point of this season as to whether Eric Staal was under utilized / not utilized properly or has truly regressed.  I am confident Versteeg's totals have been replaced but the big question mark is around Staal.  Especially since he will have Parise on his wing.   If he puts together another 40 point season then yes, this team is trying to adjust.

Cool, so all we need to do is get Pittsburgh to give us Crosby or the NYR to give us Lundqvist.  You realize that you argue all over the map.  They were both drafted, and never have played for another team.  Yet this is the basis for your argument for us to sign guys like them.

Instead, we had Okposo available, who signed at 6M per year for 7 years, and he hasn't even scored 30 goals in a season yet, and he may never.

Every time a counter argument is made, you just change the guys and say we should have them.  

No one denies that it wouldn't be great if we had Crosby, Lundqvist, etc.  We don't have them.

I realize that we can't get Crosby or Lundqvist.  But I also know that those guys are in our division and this team will see people like those 2 often.  You have to be able to compete with talent like the above.  In my opinion, claiming a guy as a top 6 forward who had 1 35 point season and had guys like Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Ladd on his team is setting ourselves up for failure from the get go.

My answer to that is the verdict is still out.  We truly won't know until the mid way point of this season as to whether Eric Staal was under utilized / not utilized properly or has truly regressed.  I am confident Versteeg's totals have been replaced but the big question mark is around Staal.  Especially since he will have Parise on his wing.   If he puts together another 40 point season then yes, this team is trying to adjust.

So you're going to judge how this team performs this year by what Eric Staal - who is no longer on it - did here last year, and what he does this year on another team?

Why... that makes perfect sense! And you still have not addressed how getting saddled with another long-term, high-dollar "possibility" - at this particular point in the team's development - is better than growing what you've painstakingly put together and already know.

Coastal is right. Feels like trolling.

Call me a troll all you want.  I don't know how much clearer I can be with you.  Teams have gotten better in our division while we have not due to a self-imposed budget.  Free agents were available to help this off season and the large contracts came off the books.  As for Eric Staal, in my eyes there is this thing called "coaching".  A coaches job is to properly utilize players to their full potential.  If Eric starts producing at a 70 point pace again then that is a sign that either our coaching is questionable, or management failed to provide adequate wingers for him to play with.

I guess Bill Peters was making EStaal skate slow.  He probably was the cause of Alex Elder hitting E's knee and starting this downward spiral in 2013.   I did not know that.  The Rangers must have had the same coaching idea too with E.  If only we had a coaching staff that could heal the sick, and feed the hungry.

I am willing to listen to a debate on whether there is a talent gap.  I am not willing to entertain  a debate on the idea that the coaching staff mis-used EStaal and that is why his production dropped.  That's jumping the shark.

Edited by super_dave_1

Personally, while we really don't want personal attacks, BD is not a troll.

To me a troll has no interest other than to stir up a response, BD's point of view is valid IMHO, and while I think he may throw a few unneeded tweaks in there, many of his points are hockey points, not just bomb throwing.

I take a different vantage on this team's direction, but the fact is that on paper this team does not line up well with especially the elite teams of the conference. Also, I think just about everyone on here has at least a bit of concern about our goaltending, I know I do.

BD has a more negative assessment than most of us, and feels Francis should have done more bring in proven scoring, that's not a crazy opinion. As much love as we throw GMRF and Peters and the Canes, they are still a team that has done a lot of missing of the playoffs, and haven't proven anything yet. Some skepticism is not unreasonable.

I will give BD this, he gives us a contrarian to keep us going in the dead of hockey nothingness, and he seems to be OK with taking everyone on.

My hockey fact for this post that is more positive about the offseason moves is the fact that Eric Staal actually scored 10 goals, and a 13 goal pace for the year had he stayed. And Versteeg had 11 goals and 14 goal pace. That's what we have to actually replace to get even with last year. Also Staal had been in decline for 3 straight seasons, not just last year, and then did squadoosh with the Rangers. I wish him luck in Minnesota, but that move was hugely needed.

Anyway, my request is to limit the personal attacks. Otherwise, might as well debate something to combat this desolate hockey void.

Edited by remkin

BD, I agree with the spirit of what you are saying.  Long-term, teams need at least 3 50+pt players plus a few 40pt players to be a consistent playoff contender.  I think sooner rather than later this team will need a #1 Center and a #1 Goalie to be a consistent contender.  I agree that there was (and maybe still is) a golden opportunity to at least improve the team in the net this offseason, and GMRF chose to play the what-if/post-December 10th game and extend Cam, which is his only move I've disagreed with.  I said going into the offseason if we got a #1 center or #1 goalie we're in the playoffs, and neither happened.

Having said that, hard work and good effort goes a long way into making the playoffs as well.  You look at a team like Colorado, who has a boat load of talented players that can't make the playoffs, but Minnesota, who lacks top level scoring get in.

In general, I think the top level teams in the division haven't improved this offseason, some teams have gotten worse, but we've gotten better.  Some say we only got marginally better, some say vice versa.  The more I think about it, it's impossible to predict how well we're going to do this season.  So many new players and x factors involved, but the team we have can definitely make the playoffs.

No game-playing intended, Manwolf, and I'm sorry if you construed it as such. You referenced context. In replying to your OP, I simply went back and referenced the full context of the quote you used from BD, which was "...our talent gap compared to other teams..." Then I pointed out that, until there is a quantifiable metric/analytic that can somehow measure the unmeasurable - specifically, how ANY team will perform when all the parts come together - no such "comparison" can be made.

No problem and I understand why you'd go back as referenced in red above. However, the omission of "talent gap" and that specific context was deliberate on my part.  I did not intend to focus on that particular issue and may even disagree about it. 

My intention by omission was deliberate to broaden the subject towards include comprehensive consideration about the competition.  I thank BD58 for raising comparison with other teams whether for talent gap and as a general point for discussion.  From the various posts it seems to have worked given the chatter about Crosby, Lundquist, and various teams.

No problem and I understand why you'd go back as referenced in red above. However, the omission of "talent gap" and that specific context was deliberate on my part.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So you're going to judge how this team performs this year by what Eric Staal - who is no longer on it - did here last year, and what he does this year on another team?

This is where i am.  So what TT accomplished last season doesn't count because it was based on his teammates and surroundings ("with 35 points on a really good team with a really good defense and really good high end forward talent "), yet what ES accomplishes this coming year fully based on his teammates and surroundings ("Especially since he will have Parise on his wing") does count?  Ummm...

Edited by realmdrakkar

I would say the main difference between E and TT at this point is age and career arc. TT is still on the upswing. E has now had three years of bad, including his trip to New York, who wanted no part of taking him back. As to line mates, I'll give Eric some slack there, but 10 goals? (And he's the king of the empty netter too). 

I will not change my thoughts one bit if Eric bounces back. He needed to go. And at this point I'd take TT over Eric straight up.

Here's a write up of our excellent expansion draft situation. Also another writer giving us a good shot at playoffs this year.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/carolina-hurricanes/hurricanes-in-perfect-position-to-survive-expansion-draft/

The author indicates that Altshuler would be exposed if not protected. That surprised me as last year was his first in Charlotte, although he did play 14 games for the Everblades in the 14-15 season.  Apparently that counts as a pro season?  Not that it's an issue as I don't see him as a realistic future option for the Canes anyways . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

So, the Rangers got Vesey. Not that he's a sure thing, but big help for a cap strapped team. I guess we were never really in it. Have to think with him spurning Nashville and Buffalo, and signing in NY, that he wanted the big stage. Would still have rather seen him go west.

This is where i am.  So what TT accomplished last season doesn't count because it was based on his teammates and surroundings ("with 35 points on a really good team with a really good defense and really good high end forward talent "), yet what ES accomplishes this coming year fully based on his teammates and surroundings ("Especially since he will have Parise on his wing") does count?  Ummm...

Well, if you think about it, realm, it does make a sort of sense. If you posit that the Hurricanes are a black hole for talent, then anyone who leaves will automatically play better and anyone who arrives will play worse.

BD58 is already on record as saying that it was too soon for the Hurricanes to give BP a contract extension after last season, so we can say that his opinion is that BP hasn't proven himself to be a good coach. With that assumption, one is able to say that it's possible that E. Staal will have a bounce-back season now that he's free of the coaching/administrative shackles in Carolina and doesn't have to deal with the short-term pressure to meld with the Rangers post-deadline. It's also possible to say that Teuvo T. scores less than 35 points in 2016-17 because of the team's system/personnel/chemistry, etc.

Of course, anything we say is "just a possibility" until they lace the skates and hit the ice. Hey, the Canadiens were blowing everyone away until Price went down and a few other guys got nicked up last season....

rem, I saw that and wonder if anyone on here experienced similar feelings to mine? Must say that the hype which attended that signing certainly correlates with the choice of teams he made, and for that, I'm sad.

Let me explain. I know next to nothing about this kid, or his hyped up abilities, but apparently they are projected to be considerable. Having read about him several months ago, I'd originally harbored some hope that he might consider our team, but now, with the reality that he sought "the big stage", it would appear that his yearnings likely would have been a distraction from the mantra I hope this team evolves, and that which I believe Coach Peters is building to be "blue collar". In contrast to the leanings of BD58 over the past few pages, a debate from which I'm not inclined to enter, I believe that work ethic and pulling together as a team are realistic goals to success, and although a "super star" or 2 on this team would be nice, it's not in the cards RIGHT NOW, so instead of wringing our hands and constantly looking at everything from the morose view point, I prefer to enjoy and CELEBRATE that with which we've been blessed. This also applies to this coach, whom I believe is a pragmatist, realizes our short comings, and can/has figured out a way to capitalize on them.

Now, rant over, back to Vesey, the reason I'm saddened for his choice has nothing to do with our missing out on him, but for my fear that there is immense temptation in that glitzy atmosphere, and I just hope he has, or will develop the maturity quickly enough to handle it. Many a professional athlete, several older than he, have been swallowed up by the temptation that is Broadway. My further hope is that team leadership realizes this, thus gets him a mentor quickly.  

Edited by KJUNKANE

Well at least the recent conversation has cleared up why BD58 didn't approve of the Bill Peters contract extension.  He blames poor coaching for the downfall of EStaal.  Suddenly, it all becomes clear.

The off season invariably leads to some chewing off their own arm or eating their young. Cant wait for the sason to start when speculation turns into cold reality.