The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I had a conversation with a co-worker who is a die hard Hawks fan.  It was about TT.  He said that at times he showed really good skills but other times he would disappear and be non-existent over a stretch several games.  He thinks that Bickel could be a really good pick up for us if he got his act together.  He said he did really well for the Hawks during his contract year.  Then made 4M and was awful.  This is his contract year.  Money can be a motivating factor.....

And isn't that the point - the tougher it gets to be a prospect, the better the prospects will be when they break through to the big club?

Yeah, that was my point. Nice for the club but harder on the prospect themselves. But definitely a big positive for our future. The depth, and the prospect pool is there I think.

In past years PDG putting up .41 ppg would make him basically a stone cold lock on a top 9. We wouldn't be even wondering about it.

I will say this. On ppg, PDG is better than Nordstrom (.34) and tied with Nestrasil (.42), and he's 2 and 3 years younger and it was his first year of NHL. On production, age and potential, as Coastal mentioned, PDG beats Nordstrom. But...

The thing is how well Nestrasil and Nordstrom played with Jordan, and Nordstrom is such a complete and smart hockey player, that it just seems like that line would stay together ideally.

My overall point is that having a guy as the first sub into the top 9 who has 40 point potential, is pretty sweet, and much better than years where that guy was Chris Terry or Drayson Bowman, etc.

Edited by remkin

I'm not sure how ready Nesty will be based on some of GMRF's comments, so we may not see that Nordstram-Staal-Nesty line right out of the chute.  Of course, PDG also suffered two concussions.

From the other BluedeviI:

I also held out some hope that the Hurricanes might make a run at Hudler. I really think RF intends to build this team from the ground up. Look what he has done w/veterans the last couple of years. E. Staal, Versteeg, Liles, Wiz gone. For futures or just to clear the way for younger players. Bickel may prove useful, but no way he comes here except as incentive to get TT. Stempniak is the one guy I see brought in probably to play a role above 4th line. Stahlburg could be here for insurance or 4th line, and I could see him as a healthy extra until someone is injured. Would bringing in someone like Hudler stunt the growth of our youth? Maybe. Would we want a guy like Hudler for just one year at the expense of an Aho or PDG seeing significant time right away? I think by his actions, it is pretty clear where RF stands on these questions.

As an aside, Eklund is reporting that Dallas is signing Hudler because Nichuschin may be headed to the KHL. I know it is Eklund, but a broken clock is right twice a day. I remember in his draft year, there were some on these boards who loved Nich, while others worried, I guess based on things he and his agent said, that he might stay in Russia or eventually bolt for the KHL.

The seasons getting closer

Slavin awaits company at Hurricanes practice facility - By Ben Pope

With several weeks left until the beginning of Carolina Hurricanes training camp, Slavin, teammate Cam Ward and prospect Trevor Carrick have spent August as the lone Hurricanes at the team’s practice facility.

The trio’s days of enjoying the empty rink at Raleigh Center Ice are numbered, though. Slavin expects the rest of the Canes to start pouring into Raleigh around Labor Day

The seasons getting closer

Slavin awaits company at Hurricanes practice facility - By Ben Pope

From the article:

"Slavin, teammate Cam Ward and prospect Trevor Carrick have spent August as the lone Hurricanes at the team’s practice facility."

Although this doesn't guarantee a good start for Ward, it's encouraging that he's working hard to prepare himself to start the season on time.  We'll see what happens.  

Slavin continues to impress me with his attitude.  This, and I take blocked shots as a good indicator of drive and effort for a defenseman.  Slavin led the Canes as a rookie.  A few years down the road it wouldn't shock me to see him in the running for a letter.

Carrick?  I don't have any feel for his chances, but gotta love the dedication on his part, as well.

Edited by LakeLivin

From the article:

"Slavin, teammate Cam Ward and prospect Trevor Carrick have spent August as the lone Hurricanes at the team’s practice facility."

Although this doesn't guarantee a good start for Ward, it's encouraging that he's working hard to prepare himself to start the season on time.  We'll see what happens.  

Slavin continues to impress me with his attitude.  This, and I take blocked shots as a good indicator of drive and effort for a defenseman.  Slavin led the Canes as a rookie.  A few years down the road it wouldn't shock me to see him in the running for a letter.

Carrick?  I don't have any feel for his chances, but gotta love the dedication on his part, as well.

From what I've read and seen in limited opportunities in last year's preseason, I think Carrick is like a lefty version of Pesce. Solid, good puck mover, not overly fast but not a plodder either. His only problem is that he shoots left, so he falls behind Slavin, Hanifin, Hainsey and Fleury on our depth chart. Probably Bean, too, in a couple of years. He'd be pushing for a spot on the team vs. Murphy if he was a right shot.

From what I've read and seen in limited opportunities in last year's preseason, I think Carrick is like a lefty version of Pesce. Solid, good puck mover, not overly fast but not a plodder either. His only problem is that he shoots left, so he falls behind Slavin, Hanifin, Hainsey and Fleury on our depth chart. Probably Bean, too, in a couple of years. He'd be pushing for a spot on the team vs. Murphy if he was a right shot.

Bad for Carrick, good for the Checkers.  I'm expecting some very good things down in Charlotte this year.

This.  But from what i've seen he's also a bit more of a hitter than most of who we have.  Still a Wall of Prospects ahead of him to climb, but the physicality may or may not play into his favor.

I don't know much about Carrick either. What I do read seems promising. Our D depth is growing and bodes well for the future.

It's good to see Ward in the group. Fingers crossed he has a good season.

I'm just happy to see a story on Canes players. This off-season news about any of our players has been hard to come by.

bluedevilcane, Just wanted to chime in on your comment on Nichuschin, and wanted to say that I saw that too, realizing the source as frequently wrong, but vividly recall the discussion on these boards in his draft year. A few still persist here that compare him to our pick that year, and I just wanted to say that I'm glad we do not have to put up with that constant threat of vacating his contract for the climes of the KHL!!

And to bd58, I almost fell off my chair to see you actually be positive about TT!! Are you feeling OK?

Finally, is anyone else having trouble getting on the website today, or is it just my laptop?

Hockey must be getting closer ;)

First Canes Corner podcast with Adam Gold interviewing PK

WRAL Canescorner podcast

( I haven't had a chance to listen yet but will later today)

I listened. Not bad. He interviewed Karmanos for the full show. Covered all the topics (team performance, relocation, sale, etc.) pretty well. PK doesn't sound like a guy in a hurry to sell the team.

bluedevilcane, Just wanted to chime in on your comment on Nichuschin, and wanted to say that I saw that too, realizing the source as frequently wrong, but vividly recall the discussion on these boards in his draft year. A few still persist here that compare him to our pick that year, and I just wanted to say that I'm glad we do not have to put up with that constant threat of vacating his contract for the climes of the KHL!!

And to bd58, I almost fell off my chair to see you actually be positive about TT!! Are you feeling OK?

Finally, is anyone else having trouble getting on the website today, or is it just my laptop?

I don't think having a guy on the team who disappears over multiple games is a great thing to have.  But I will hold all reservations until we are past the 20 game mark.  Then we will more or less know what we have with TT.

Dave Bolland and Lawson Crouse traded to Arizona from Florida for picks.

I remember when Crouse's name was being thrown around as our possible selection if Hanifin was gone, but then he dropped some as the draft approached.

Bolland has three years left on his contract at a pretty steep cost, I'm sure that played a big factor regarding this trade.

Yeah, I think Arizona sort of got Crouse by taking Bolland's contract, the way we got TT by taking Bickell's contract.

I am interested though in how Crouse's career pans out. At one point there was some Crouse vs Marner talk for what ended up being our Hanifin pick. Seemed like a pretty good straight up size vs. skill/production comparison. Crouse was highly ranked and thought of due to his speed/size "look" on the ice, but did not put up huge numbers in Juniors. Marner is basically small and slight, but put up mega numbers. I was a big Marner fan, and put a lot of stock in guys that light up the actual scoreboard at lower levels. Others point out that the numbers don't always pan out in the NHL.

Marner ended up going #4 and Crouse dropped a bit to #11. Now Florida has bailed on Crouse, but he probably gets a better shot at the NHL in Arizona than Floridan anyway.

Anyway, will be mildly interesting watching their careers unfold.

Edited by remkin

Yeah, I think Arizona sort of got Crouse by taking Bolland's contract, the way we got TT by taking Bickell's contract.

I am interested though in how Crouse's career pans out. At one point there was some Crouse vs Marner talk for what ended up being our Hanifin pick. Seemed like a pretty good straight up size vs. skill/production comparison. Crouse was highly ranked and thought of due to his speed/size "look" on the ice, but did not put up huge numbers in Juniors. Marner is basically small and slight, but put up mega numbers. I was a big Marner fan, and put a lot of stock in guys that light up the actual scoreboard at lower levels. Others point out that the numbers don't always pan out in the NHL.

Marner ended up going #4 and Crouse dropped a bit to #11. Now Florida has bailed on Crouse, but he probably gets a better shot at the NHL in Arizona than Floridan anyway.

Anyway, will be mildly interesting watching their careers unfold.

I wanted Crouse, my buddy and I even had a nickname for him, DAC, which stood for "Dirty Areas Crouse".

We still don't have a guy who has proven he can fill that role yet, but I have a feeling DAG will be the guy.

One thing seems pretty sure about Gauthier is that he will go to the net. And he seems to have some pretty slick in tight skills too.

I wanted Hanifin.  I'm happy.

Looking forward to Traverse City.  That squad could make some noise.  We haven't won it in a while. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

I was never on the Nichuschin bandwagon because as I recall his agent stated if he could not play in the NHL immediately, he would stay in Russia. I think that's why he fell to the 10th pick or so where Dallas grabbed him. To me "the one that got away" was Monahan. He is the 1C for Calgary, has averaged something like 29 goals over 3 seasons, and has scored 60+ points at least once. Just got a really nice contract as a reward. That said, I don't think we have seen the ceiling on what Lindholm can be, and there is still time for him to become as valuable or more valuable than Monahan. Hopefully he breaks out this year. But if there is one trend I see in our drafting, we do like our Swedes and Finns.

On Crouse, Florida must have really needed to unload a contract because it is way to early in Crouse's development to really know what they gave away, especially with a top 12 first rounder. They do have some good young forwards already on the Panthers roster though.

I thought that if Hanifin fell to us we should trade down several spots and take Zach Werenski (he went 8th) plus get a nice premium for giving up that 4th spot.  The two had almost identical careers to that point (including starting college a year early) and I saw them as having very similar potential.  

They took different paths since the draft and I think it will be awhile before the verdict is in on that one.  Hanifin had a nice NHL start given his age and I'm more than happy with his outlook.  Werenski put up a point a game as an 18yo soph at Michigan.  Then he joined eventual Calder Cup champ Lake Erie for the last 7 games of the AHL season and the playoffs, putting up 5 goals and 14 points in 17 playoff games.

I still see both as having the potential to becoming elite NHL d-men, it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Edited by LakeLivin

Just points out how inexact drafting is.

Personally, Marner vs. Hanifin would have been tough, but in the end the more I saw Hanifin the more I was down with that pick. My post was more about the Marner vs. Crouse thing, which has still to play out.

As to Monahan, that is a bit of a head scratcher, in that he was a center with size, that is the standard pick. Could it be that we were all in on Eric and Jordan at that point and didn't feel the need for another big center? Management claims that it was a simple fact that they thought Lindholm was notably better than Monahan. They claim the had him ranked higher than 5.

My thought at the time, was similar to my reaction to us drafting Aho. When we drafted Aho, we were adding size all over the place. We clearly were trying to get bigger. And at 35 there were still big good prospect, yet we not only didn't go big, we 'reached' for Aho, a guy mostly rated lower than 35. My thought: Francis et all must know something, or really have seen something in that kid that others missed. To a much lesser degree, with Lindholm, most rankings had Lindholm and Monahan pretty much neck and neck, but Monahan was Canadian and bigger. Seemed the default choice. Yet we went against type and picked Linholm. This suggests that in fact the scouts and all involved with pushing Lindholm honestly thought he was the better player.

Anyways, clearly to this point Monahan has over-performed and Lindholm under-performed. I have joined those that predict a breakout for Lindholm. I think he has the skills, but was thrown in too soon, and has not mentally and physically prepared to the NHL level to this point. Cane's management has said as much. But they also think this year will be different, as do I. If not though? Gonna get sticky.

I wanted Hanifin.  I'm happy.

Looking forward to Traverse City.  That squad could make some noise.  We haven't won it in a while. 

I'm interested to see what Tolchinsky does to get a feel of where he is at in his development. Could be telling on where he may or not be with the organization going forward. If he lights it up we may see more of him this year. If not it could be a tough road ahead.