The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I'm a little surprised Tolchinsky is even on the roster to be honest.  He's a pro now, supposedly.  He's not going to prove anything in Traverse City.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Frankly he's got everything to lose in that tourney, given how long he's been around and where he's supposed to be in development. I feel like his options are pure domination or bust.

Frankly he's got everything to lose in that tourney, given how long he's been around and where he's supposed to be in development. I feel like his options are pure domination or bust.

While I wouldn't go quite as far as "everything to lose" for him, it is risky. Last year everything we heard from coaches and management about him was that he has skill, but needs to learn to be a pro and fit his style to the pro game vs. the more wide open juniors style. Playing in this tournament is playing with a lot of young guys that have yet to learn that as well, so even if he comes out and does everything he's been asked to do by playing in the system and being responsible, he could still look bad if the other guys fail to play "right" and aren't where they need to be for him to pass to, or don't find him when he is where he needs to be. 

That said, I still think he does well this year at the tournament. Of all the forwards coming into the tournament, he seems most likely to me to be the one that could use the tournament as a springboard to having a good camp and pushing to be part of the team.

Edited by MinJaBen

Listening to NHL radio on XM today, 2 interesting mentions.

1. A big time NHL trainer who trains tons of NHL players during and off season, called out Brian Bickell as a guy who is past his health issues, in great shape and he hopes will have a great year.

2. A 12 year vet NHL defensman was asked who in his career was hardest to defend and gave him fits. He mentioned Pavel Datsuk, and....Jeff Skinner.

Interesting aside, he said he had far less trouble with the bigger guys, than the small high skilled guys.

Edited by remkin

I still see Tolchinsky as a prospect.  As such, if I'm RF and BP, I'd want to see what he does as compared to our newer batch of higher end prospects in a direct comparison, "level ice", setting.

Another possible reason he might be playing is that Canes mgmt might have asked him to join the tourney in a leadership role.  I remember last summer Peters mentioning that some yutes stood out as having obvious natural leadership qualities in prospects camp.  He didn't provide names, but it's possible that the Smurf was one of them.  If so, I could see a real benefit in sending him to Traverse City along with the younger yutes.

1. A big time NHL trainer who trains tons of NHL players during and off season, called out Brian Bickell as a guy who is past his health issues, in great shape and he hopes will have a great year.

2. A 12 year vet NHL defensman was asked who in his career was hardest to defend and gave him fits. He mentioned Pavel Datsuk, and....Jeff Skinner.

Interesting aside, he said he had far less trouble with the bigger guys, than the small high skilled guys.

A co-worker seems to think if Bickell can turn things around then this trade was a steal for us.

I'm a little surprised Tolchinsky is even on the roster to be honest.  He's a pro now, supposedly.  He's not going to prove anything in Traverse City.

I'm very surprised he's there as well,thus the post. Perhaps they want him to come into camp play ready and to see what he brings?? Last year was his rookie year and he is only 21. He was labeled as stubborn at times I think it took him awhile to get used to the system and also learn how to play defense as well. After all he is Russian.

Edited by slapshot02

I suppose we could think Tolchinsky needs a tourney he could excel in to build confidence or perhaps as a evaluation of his progress or any of the reasons posted above. Maybe we want other teams to take a look at him, just in case he is part of a future move.

I don't know but I think he needs to have a good tournament.

Monahan.  Still scratching my head on that one.  I'm ready for a nice surprise from Lindholm this year....

I was satisfied with picking either and thought it was a coin toss.   Called tails, but so far its been heads.  Still tossing and hope that nice surprise happens.

I was satisfied with picking either and thought it was a coin toss.   Called tails, but so far its been heads.  Still tossing and hope that nice surprise happens.

I hope my comment didn't come across as having any lingering angst about the Lindholm pick, I was just surprised we didn't take what appeared to be a pretty safe bet in Monahan and at the time we did need centers that projected to be NHL players.

Again, here is to Lindholm breaking out this year!

Heard that around lunch as well Rem.  Was good to hear Bickell is past his health issues and from the sounds of it the guy is in tip-top shape and ready to go.

I'll tell you, if we get contributions from Bickell, that would be gravy. No doubt that deal was about getting Teuravainen.

But Bickell could be a decent role player if he has his health. He's put up 37 points one year and another year was on that basic pace, and of course had one sick playoff run, and one other still pretty darned good one.

The last couple of years, no. But he's only 30. He's a big guy, and apparently over the health issues. New lease on life and all that. If he rediscovers even most of his game, at the very least he could be one of the best 4th liners in the game.

Edited by remkin

So there is a lot to like about especially the young D and the offensive depth we are developing. Good stuff.

But, there are historically two positions that just about every cup contender almost always has: a really good 1C, and a really really good top Dman.

Here is a list of the best defensemen in the league.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/positional-rankings--projecting-the-nhl-s-top-25-defensemen-in-2016-17-222712129-nhl.html

To truly contend we pretty much need to have a guy on that list. I do wonder if we would have taken D men with our first draft pick the last 3 years if Management was sure Faulk was that guy.

There is a very tight correlation between the top half of that list and playoffs.

Can Faulk get on that list? I think Hanifin will eventually.

Edited by remkin

I hope my comment didn't come across as having any lingering angst about the Lindholm pick, ....

Again, here is to Lindholm breaking out this year!

Nope.  Cheers!

So there is a lot to like about especially the young D and the offensive depth we are developing. Good stuff.

But, there are historically two positions that just about every cup contender almost always has: a really good 1C, and a really really good top Dman.

Here is a list of the best defensemen in the league.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/positional-rankings--projecting-the-nhl-s-top-25-defensemen-in-2016-17-222712129-nhl.html

To truly contend we pretty much need to have a guy on that list. I do wonder if we would have taken D men with our first draft pick the last 3 years if Management was sure Faulk was that guy.

There is a very tight correlation between the top half of that list and playoffs.

Can Faulk get on that list? I think Hanifin will eventually.

Meh I don't agree with a lot of placements in that list. Several guys I would put Faulk above, and I would argue he's a top 25 dman. Hanifin and slavin have the potential get there too.

Top 25 d men can actually do one thing right. Play defense. Not have a -21 +/-. As of righy now, I view Faulk like a Sandis Ozolinsh. Good and well-known but not elite due to the inability to play D.

Edited by bluedevil58

So the plus minus stat has widely, and on this board been panned as a very broad stat. But it is the one that is immediately available in a non advanced stats kind of way.

I find the stat useful comparatively and over long stretches.

Faulk:

2015-16: -22, Hainsey paired with him was -13, and most would say Hainsey is a stretch as a top pair guy. Faulk 2nd to last on team.

2014-15: -19, 3rd from last. Sekera was -7.  But the overall team plus minus was worse, so this was slightly better.

2013-14: -9, 6th from last, Sekera was +4, and second best.

Those are three years where Faulk was "top pair", and was at the bottom of the team, but also much worse than the guy he was paired with. Every year. That's 34 more goals allowed than the guy he was paired with, about 11 per year. To be consistently worse than the guy you're on the ice with the vast majority of the time takes some doing.

Back in 2013-14, not always top pair, he was +1, and Pitkanen, was the best D man at +2. I thought back then he had good defensive skills. Some combination of  moving up to consistent top pairing, focusing on Offense, and whatever, has hurt his D game.

It's not just plus minus, its the eyeball test. Back in 13-14 he would stick to a forward, ride him to the boards and relieve him of the puck. Last year he was flat out beaten silly several times too many.

I think he can do it, but I agree he is not top 25 until he tightens that up. And is why, unthinkable as it seems, he might be trade bait if the rest of the D looks good.

Interesting aside, in 13-14 the #2 guy on the team, one off the lead for plus minus was.....A Semin. He was also a ppg. Boy did that ever change. One great year and then, look out below!

Edited by remkin

Elias Lindholm is using the Swedish personal trainer who rehabbed Nicklas Backstrom after his hip surgery last year. 

https://novacapsfans.com/2016/07/08/andreas-ohgren-on-training-backstrom-and-other-nhl-players/

In the article the reporter asks: Can you already see an effect on these three guys ?
“Yes, I can! When I was up there I saw a huge difference and the guys themselves felt a significant difference as compared to when they started with me . . ."

And Lindholm: “He is the best, that’s as simple as it is.”

A more powerful Lindholm could definitely help him break out this year.  Here's hoping . . .

Top 25 d men can actually do one thing right. Play defense. Not have a -21 +/-. As of righy now, I view Faulk like a Sandis Ozolinsh. Good and well-known but not elite due to the inability to play D.

His inability to play D has been my thing all along.  Power-play goals are great, to be sure, but from a #1 defenseman i'd kind of prefer ability to play defense.

I think he can do it, but I agree he is not top 25 until he tightens that up. And is why, unthinkable as it seems, he might be trade bait if the rest of the D looks good.

Sadly, and it will surprise nobody to read this from me, i think his trade value was higher at the trade deadline last year than it ever will be again.  The first half of the season he was red hot on the power-play and was even almost lukewarm on defense a couple times; the second half of the season he was either injured (and barely missed) or pedestrian.  Wish i could say otherwise but i don't see that hot streak ever happening again. I think we'll all be considering him our 4th-best defenseman by this year's deadline, as will the rest of the league.  And nobody's going to give much for a 4th d-man making that much money.  One man's opinion, of course, but i don't see him as the prime real estate most Hurricane fans do.

Yeah Lake, the Canes and Francis in particular really think Lindholm has way more to offer. I've heard two things, mental drive and lower body strength were not up to NHL standards. Francis told me that the Canes were taking a more active role in Lindholm's offseason training, not sure if that was part of hooking up with this guy or not.

If Lindholm comes back stronger and motivated it could be really fun

We really should probably trade Lindholm now.  It's obvious.  I mean just look at that plus-minus.  Awful. 

2013-14:  -14

2014-15:  -23

2015-16:  -23

Plus minus is a very useful stat over long stretches, he's -60 over his career.  Seriously, that crappy plus minus really takes some doing.

Edit: sarcasm alert

Edited by coastal_caniac

Can't really base an argument off plus minus when that player plays the most minutes in front of the worst goalie tandem in the NHL the first half of the season and then is injured much of the second half when the goalies were better.

For my own part i'm relying much more on the eye test than the plus-minus.  Faulk has had some nasty giveaways and was out-dueled to a good number of pucks over the past couple seasons.  As for trading Lindholm due to his plus-minus, and i know you're just making a jab there, there's a huge difference in what the return would have been.  Faulk could have gotten us any of a number of top-line forwards last deadline based on his power-play acumen; Lindholm would have gotten us a bag of pucks.  I do hope i'm wrong about Faulk and that he ups his game this year, but i've not seen enough to make me think he will.