The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Corey Pronman over at ESPN Insider did an article ranking NHL team's prospects.

Here's some excerpts:

In terms of tiers, the Maple Leafs are their own tier up top, then after jumping down about five stories we have the Coyotes, Jets and Blue Jackets in a tier, then I'd put everyone from the Hurricanes (No. 5) through the Flames (No. 9) in another tier, before a marginal decline begins from the Predators (No. 10) onwards. Each team's previous rank refers to the edition preceding the 2015-16 season.

5. Carolina Hurricanes
Previous rank: 11

The Hurricanes graduated several quality defensemen like Jaccob Slavin, Brett Pesce and most notably Noah Hanifin, and still have a lot of good defenders left, particularly after drafting Jake Bean this summer. In general, their farm system is very strong, due to a mix of trades, high picks and solid late-round selections that have panned out.

So is Faulk becoming our new whipping boy or will he have to share the honor with Cam Ward?

My take is that the opposite has been true, that up till recently Faulk has been somewhat of a Golden Boy to most Canes fans who, because of all of Faulk's positives, were hesitant to mention any negatives. 

I think part of that is because he has been one of the better Canes players. Unfortunately, it's been on Canes teams that were extremely lacking in talent, so it's hard to decipher exactly what that means (I believe we're making nice progress in correcting that talent shortage, btw). 

I think another part may have been due to his position within the USA Development Program.  E.g., I believe he was named to the last Olympic team at 21yo more for development purposes than than anything else (as demonstrated by the ice time he got), but we treated it more like he was actually one of the 8 best US defensemen out there.  Does him not being named to this year's World Cup Team indicate that he hasn't met development expectations, or might it be due to his injury last year? I wouldn't presume to know. 

Similar thing with his All Star selection the season before last.  In all honesty, I don't believe we had a legitimate All Star that year and that Faulk was added only because each team needed a representative.  But I think there are many of us that don't make that distinction.  Now on the flip side, I think his appointment this past season was deserved (although if it had come 20 games later, even before his injury, the verdict would have been different imo).

I can only speak for myself, and obviously it's an opinion, but what I'm trying to do is view Justin Faulk as objectively as possible rather than through Canes Colored glasses.  I do hope it doesn't go past "objective" and get to the point that he becomes a whipping boy. 

Oh, and on the +- thing: I don't think Faulk is below average because of his plus/ minus.  Rather his plus/minus, taken in context (as rem outlines above), seems to confirm the eye test regarding Faulk's defensive play, at least to me.   

Corey Pronman over at ESPN Insider did an article ranking NHL team's prospects.

Here's some excerpts:

In terms of tiers, the Maple Leafs are their own tier up top, then after jumping down about five stories we have the Coyotes, Jets and Blue Jackets in a tier, then I'd put everyone from the Hurricanes (No. 5) through the Flames (No. 9) in another tier, before a marginal decline begins from the Predators (No. 10) onwards. Each team's previous rank refers to the edition preceding the 2015-16 season.

5. Carolina Hurricanes

Previous rank: 11

The Hurricanes graduated several quality defensemen like Jaccob Slavin, Brett Pesce and most notably Noah Hanifin, and still have a lot of good defenders left, particularly after drafting Jake Bean this summer. In general, their farm system is very strong, due to a mix of trades, high picks and solid late-round selections that have panned out.

Interesting to be ranked that highly. Was not long ago we were no where near that high. The leafs have been drafting a lot of very high picks including #1 overall Austin Matthews. The Coyotes drafting very high too. Columbus picked #3 this year and #8 last year (and 30). 

Canes have been doing really well with their picks in the last few years overall, but especially lower in the draft.

Of course it doesn't hurt that those deadline trades turned into: Saarela, Zykov, McKeown, and Gauthier too.

Edited by remkin

So I think that the system is now stocked. It is now time to acquire a top end forward.  Seriously, how much more forward depth do we need?  Between Saraala, Zykov, TT, Ghautier, Tolchinsky, PDG, Roy, Walmark, and Aho.  I think we're now a lot more stocked in the forward department.  I think we're close to having to fork out $$$ for a guy in some shape or form if we are not already there and need it now.  I don't think Francis is done.

Edited by bluedevil58

I think Faulk is getting way over-criticized on here. When you don't have a legit top pairing Dman to play with, and you log heavy minutes on a team that can't score, your +\- will look bad. If you're pulling the +/- as a basis for your argument, you have no argument.

It seems people are nitpicking. There is no perfect player in this league, and you can pick any Dman in the league, and I guarantee you that team's fan base has just as many critiques of the player.

Faulk is our best Dman, and will most likely not return what our team needs most. Add in the fact that management adores him and our style of play, Faulk's not going anywhere.

When you don't have a legit top pairing Dman to play with, and you log heavy minutes on a team that can't score, your +\- will look bad. 

I'm going here because, well because i'm going to.  You are correct in what you say, but can we say 'when you don't have a legit top pairing Dman to play with, and you log heavy minutes on a team that can't score, your +/- will be 9 worse than the not-legit top pairing Dman you're playing with'?  Does not compute.

41 game suspension for a preseason dirty hit.  And when he got traded to the Leaf's AHL team, they told him to not even bother showing up.  This is a stupid move.

It appears Francis and Peters are joined at the hip.  Not that that is a bad thing. I would think 2018-19 is when final grades on the rebuild will be tallied.

I didn't see Raffi Torres on the horizon, but I guess Mike Ehrmantraut is helping with the decision making too.  I don't see the need for another bottom forward.  What we need is some players with some tangibles.

Edited by super_dave_1

I'm indifferent.  The way I see it, management is fine with a losing culture.  So I just accept it and move forward.  So far the track record is as follows:

- Extending Lack before he played a single game as a Hurricane.  Goal tending is still questionable.

- Extending Peters before he has put together a single playoff season sending the message that it is OK to have a losing culture,

- Extending Francis before having a single playoff season reinforcing the message that it's ok to have a losing culture.

Now I'm not saying there is a better alternative and I also know what Francis inherited,  However, I would feel better if this team rewarded extensions after putting a solid product on the ice,  I heard for the last 3 - 4 years that this was the off season where Francis would have to earn his paycheck.  So far this off season has been filled with lackluster moves.  It's like throwing a dart at the board with a blind fold on and hoping for a bulls eye.  We will see how this plays out.

Edited by bluedevil58