The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I'm indifferent.  The way I see it, management is fine with a losing culture.  So I just accept it and move forward.  So far the track record is as follows:

- Extending Lack before he played a single game as a Hurricane.  Goal tending is still questionable.

- Extending Peters before he has put together a single playoff season sending the message that it is OK to have a losing culture,

- Extending Francis before having a single playoff season reinforcing the message that it's ok to have a losing culture.

Now I'm not saying there is a better alternative and I also know what Francis inherited,  However, I would feel better if this team rewarded extensions after putting a solid product on the ice,  I heard for the last 3 - 4 years that this was the off season where Francis would have to earn his paycheck.  So far this off season has been filled with lackluster moves.  It's like throwing a dart at the board with a blind fold on and hoping for a bulls eye.  We will see how this plays out.

The Lack move was a bit of a gamble, I'll admit.  I still say it was a good idea at the time considering his previous success, and if he put up the .921 Sv%/.514 win% numbers he did the year prior in Vancouver, he would've had all leverage in salary negotiations.  He would've either bolted to a bigger market team, or would've been signed to Cam money.  I still have hope of him bouncing back this season, and his cap hit isn't effecting RF's ability to make moves.

Peters and RF are at their 3 year mark, with expiring contracts.  I feel the only way those extensions look bad is if this team bottoms out, which would be a complete 180 from the past 2 seasons.

If you had a TSN Top 10 list of bad moves by the Canes I can't imagine Lack whose thus far RF's worst move even cracks it.

Semin, Babchuk, A. Ward v 2, Ozolinch, Paul Maurice v2 other people can help me out but who really wants to remember this crap.

Raffi Torres? Are you f$#@ing kidding me? I can't root for that guy, no matter what. Good thing is, it's a long shot. But what are they thinking?? I play with 5 guys that skate better....and we're rec league hacks!  

Good bad list Legend. And school is still out on Lack.

As to the Peters/Francis tandem, they improved from 71 points to 86 points, last  year, while Ward and Lack stumbled out of the gate and Eric Staal continued his slide to mediocrity.

All the while Francis has drafted very well, used the trade deadline to compile 4 plus very good prospects, and taken our prospect pool from 25th to 11th to 5th according the the ratings posted above.

He has also made a series of really good moves. While one can debate re-signing Lack, the deal to get him was a steal, and he flat out heisted TT from Chicago, and while I lament losing Sekera, he turned a guy who was not going to re-sign with us anyways into McKeown, and Gauthier.

I admit that he has yet to pull the blockbuster trade, but this is by design. He is overtly sticking with the plan.

The other thing is this. We're really just talking about PK's money anyway. If Francis starts making mistakes and Peters loses the team, they can still be fired. It wouldn't cost us draft picks or players or anything meaningful anyways.

I think Francis and Peters are going to prove to be a great combination. Francis is smart, deliberate and a good deal maker, Peters is smart, has the team increasingly executing his system to play fast, and has the characteristics of a very good coach.

I know that the whole plan has not played out yet, but you can clearly see where it is going, and it is good.

Edited by remkin

Way too early to nail the coffin shut, I like where this is headed.

Oh, and Sekera was a -15 last year so we didn't miss much there. ;)

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm going here because, well because i'm going to.  You are correct in what you say, but can we say 'when you don't have a legit top pairing Dman to play with, and you log heavy minutes on a team that can't score, your +/- will be 9 worse than the not-legit top pairing Dman you're playing with'?  Does not compute.

No, I don't think we can say that either.  That would be implying that Ron Hainsey is a better defenseman because of a subjective stat.  In addition, Hainsey didn't play top pairing minutes with Faulk the whole time.  There are 6 players per team on the ice, +/- doesn't indicate if an individual player is directly responsible for a goal allowed.  Having a good or bad +/- is more indicative for the team you play rather than the individual player.  I mean, Chris Kunitz's +/- was 20 higher than Phil Kessel, and all things equal I'd rather have Kessel on this team before Kunitz.

Bottom line is Faulk's way more of a solution to this team rather than a problem. He's not a guy to build a team around, but he is an important player to have.  We can find a better whipping boy.

Sekera I guess struggled to be top pair on a new team and terrible defense, though the team was minus 42.

Still think we could have used him, but at this point the future looks so good that his conversion to Gauthier and McKeown looks pretty good.

He didn't really want to sign here anyways, so I guess it ended up working out.

I think he probably needs to tighten up that d-zone coverage.  -15 and all.  Or is plus minus now indicative of the team you play for?  :lol:  Just messing with you. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think he probably needs to tighten up that d-zone coverage.  -15 and all.  Or is plus minus now indicative of the team you play for?  :lol:  Just messing with you. 

I did sort of think there was some messing going on! The Oilers were pretty extreme in their team defensive badness though. Not sure Ray Bourque could have helped that mess last year.

I do think that when he was here Sekera was better than Faulk.

I was told that Francis offered Sekera pretty similar to what he ended up getting to play in Edmonton.

Now, with the way the D has come together I'm missing him less though.

If memory serves Sekera was very good his first year with the team but less than impressive in his last season before being traded at the deadline.  I only think he scored 2 or 3 goals that year and his shooting percentage was abysmal.  Was there an injury, I can't recall?

It all worked out anyway.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Rem, I thought you were over the heartbreak of Sekera leaving.  I guess not.

No, I am actually. The final verdict is still out, but the return of McKeown and Gauthier combined with the development of our defense has me feeling much better about it. I'm pretty much over it. But I'm completely OK with it know that I know that we really couldn't have kept him anyways.

When he left, we needed him though. And Francis thought so too because he threw a pretty big offer at him. But Sekera wanted more. Of course at the time, (and even now officially) we didn't know what Francis offered him, so that also made it harder to lose him. I know now that it would have taken substantially more than Sekera got from the Oilers: $5.5 million, 6 years. The man had no strong desire to stay here, and really wanted big overpay or hit UFA. Knowing that, I feel even better.

But Sekera is a good NHL defenseman. He did indeed have a career offensive year in 13-14, when he put up 44 points. He fell off the next year to a 27 point pace, and then put up 30 with the Oilers, so offensively he seems to be about a 30 point guy at least when he plays on bad teams. But before we pooh pooh 30 points, Faulk had 38 last year, and next was Hanifin at 22 points. Sekera would have been our #2 Dman offensively.

But really where Sekera shines is defense and quick zone exits. He is one of the best at quick passes up out of the zone and starting things the other way. He has played 567 NHL regular season games for mostly three bad Sabre, Carolina and Oilers teams, those are hugely negative plus minus teams over at least 6 of those years, and yet he is only -7 for his career, and if you take out the Oilers debacle, he is PLUS 8.

To this day Sekera is much better than Hainsey if we put him back on the team, we'd be better.

THAT said, he is not elite, and we got a good return on a guy who wasn't going to stay anyways, and Francis tried to keep him AND if he had even more massively overpaid him, we'd be paying him for the next 5 years with all kinds of good to great D men pushing up for a lot less cash, and who will need to get paid, while an aging Sekera is still getting $5 million/year.

It is mildly interesting to wonder what would have happened if we kept him though. Do we still pick Fleury? Do we trade Haisney now? Could we trade Faulk now (probalby not since Sekera is a lefty). If we didn't pick Fleury, next picked was William Nylander, now considered an elite prospect for the Leafs, and who put up 13 points in his first 6 NHL games so far. Next was Nickolaj Ehlers, who put up 38 points in 72 games in the NHL his first year. And we still have Sekera, who seemed to pair pretty well with Faulk too.

In the end our drafting Hanifin, and the arrival of Pesce and Slavin way better than expected, combined with Fleury and McKeown still to come, (and Bean), surely makes the loss of a defenseman easier to take.

Plus I am really excited about one shiny new thing that we ended up getting for Sekera: Gauthier. When he starts really showing his stuff and we have one of the best defenses in the league? Sekera will just be somebody that I used to know.

Edited by remkin

This Torres PTO really has me steamed...this clearly sends the wrong message.  Are we going to offer Matt Cooke up next?

Seriously, if we sign him, I will not come to another game in Raleigh so long as he is on the team (since I plan on doing a few road games this season, I can't go that far yet). 

http://www.tsn.ca/canes-invite-veteran-torres-to-camp-on-pto-1.557564

Raffi Torres has been invited to camp though I'm kind of doubting he's got any chance of making it unless we really want a tough guy at any cost.

Why would Ronnie even offer a PTO to this nut? He lets Hudler get away for a mere 2mil and offers Raffi a PTO? No rationale on this one.

Why would Ronnie even offer a PTO to this nut? He lets Hudler get away for a mere 2mil and offers Raffi a PTO? No rationale on this one.

The team is going to have to come up with something.  So far it's been nothing.  I'm interested to see how the PR folks handle this when he shows up ready to practice.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/dan-rosen-skype-interview/t-277437094/c-44376803

More optimism from national media types, NHL.com's Dan Rosen listed the Canes as a top 5 most improved team, and Michelle interviews him about it here. Really exciting stuff about his view of TT, and others.

Also very bullish on specifically Francis and Peters.

Edited by remkin

It's no secret the guys don't stand up for each other maybe Torres was brought into camp to ruffle feathers and generate some testosterone in the locker room? Maybe he gets guys like Pesce and Slavin to wake up and stand up for their teammates and Torres's free job is done.

Full agreement on Torres.  WTH?

I do debate the 'lets Hudler get away for a mere 2mil' though.  For all we know Francis offered the guy 10x that amount and the guy said thanks but no thanks.  Just because he signed for $2mil in Dallas doesn't mean RF didn't offer as much or more.  Doesn't mean he did either, mind you, but doesn't mean he didn't.

If we need a guy to do brute toughness, why not re-sign Westgarth...cheaper, not a goon, not facing a 41 GAME SUSPENSION upon his return to the NHL...

Listening to Luke DeCock on XM this afternoon, he was beside himself on how stupid this move was!

It's no secret the guys don't stand up for each other maybe Torres was brought into camp to ruffle feathers and generate some testosterone in the locker room? Maybe he gets guys like Pesce and Slavin to wake up and stand up for their teammates and Torres's free job is done.

I like the Torres PTO.  Let's throw some different *edit* at the wall for a change.  I follow your thoughts.

Again, I'm going to enjoy how the team spins this. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

If we need a guy to do brute toughness, why not re-sign Westgarth...cheaper, not a goon, not facing a 41 GAME SUSPENSION upon his return to the NHL...

Listening to Luke DeCock on XM this afternoon, he was beside himself on how stupid this move was!

I've lost confidence in Luke DeCock....he supports Kaepernick's decision to sit during our anthem. In my book Luke's thoughts on the subject should just be written on a Post-It-Note.

I'm not a huge fan of the Raffi PTO but I believe in Francis and Peters. I'm willing to see how this plays out.

My question is....who knows hockey better....Francis, Brindamour, Peters or Luke DeCock?

After a while, negative press just comes off as negative, and you tune it out.  Kind of like repetitive negative posts, but that's a different thing.  I still like some of Luke's articles and points and I was a fan of his during the early 2000's when he was the main beat reporter. 

A lot of his stuff seems reactionary to me now as far as the Canes, although I don't follow his interests in other sports.  But at least somebody other than the team and Alexander has a local alternative viewpoint.  The Adam Golds of the world have no clue and could care less.

Welcome Raptor.

SuperDave will offer a 5-hole coupon.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I've lost confidence in Luke DeCock....he supports Kaepernick's decision to sit during our anthem. In my book Luke's thoughts on the subject should just be written on a Post-It-Note.

I'm not a huge fan of the Raffi PTO but I believe in Francis and Peters. I'm willing to see how this plays out.

My question is....who knows hockey better....Francis, Brindamour, Peters or Luke DeCock?

Frankly, even as a member of the military, I have no problem with his protest...and I have zero problems with the backlash.  We can't silence someone's freedom of speech just because we don't like it...but that doesn't mean they're entitled to freedom from consequences.

Now...back to the subject at hand.  In Franchise and the MAN I trust...but this move goes against the flow of every other move they've made in the past 2 years. 

Frankly, even as a member of the military, I have no problem with his protest...and I have zero problems with the backlash.  We can't silence someone's freedom of speech just because we don't like it...but that doesn't mean they're entitled to freedom from consequences.

Now...back to the subject at hand.  In Franchise and the MAN I trust...but this move goes against the flow of every other move they've made in the past 2 years.

AWAC...thank you for your service. I to support his decision to sit and I very much like the backlash. This is an emotional subject for me. I would prefer the below reaction...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PechzO5LASs