The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

This is getting way too much into politics for me to even comment on that football thing. - but moving back to hockey - AWACS - there has to be  a method to GMRF's madness.  Whether you like the move or not. 

To me, that's the real interesting thing.

Edited by coastal_caniac

This is getting way too much into politics for me to even comment on that football thing, but moving back to hockey - AWACS - there has to be a method to GMRF's madness, wouldn't you agree?  Whether you like the move or not. 

To me, that's the real interesting thing.

Thank you for reminding me it is a hockey forum.....I also appreciate the welcome. My sons and I are long time Canes fans (Greensboro days)...I like what I see happening with this team and we are finally feeling good about the start to a season. Kids and I are actually going to attend some camp days to see how the team looks. Fingers crossed!

The thing about this QB is: I will boo him. I mean seriously what a p o s. But hey that's freedom of speech so more power to him!

Edited by bluedevil58

Look forward to your reports from camp Raptor.  Quiet a  few of us attend and give some pretty good insight.  Should be really ramping up over the next couple of weeks. 

Finally.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Look forward to your reports from camp Raptor.  Quiet a  few of us attend and give some pretty good insight.  Should be really ramping up over the next couple of weeks. 

Finally.

My 10 and 6 year old give the best reports. They are brutally honest. My 10 year old (aka...Mr Red Card) will get on them for not being physical.

AWAC, I am beside myself on how stupid Luke DeCock is most of the time. Anyway, I don't see Torres being a serious threat to make the team. If no one else picks him up, maybe he gets parked in Charlotte pending some future need.

I fully support Kapernick's right to sit during the anthem to protest a country where a declining quarterback can be paid $11.9 million this year 2 subpar seasons after he was given a big contract. I have read speculation he is in danger of being cut. Maybe the sitting was a ploy to make it look political if the Niners cut him. In the scheme of things, if the press ignored him, this issue would be forgotten in 20 minutes.

Now, back to hockey.

On Torres, he'll have to prove he can skate a regular shift with speed in order to have any chance of making the team. With 2 square wheels, I'm not so sure. I'm not opposed to trying something different, so there is that.

Raptor, 5 hole coupons only available in the introduction threads.

The more I think about the Torres try-out the less I understand it. After reading the boards opinions on Torres I find myself thinking well maybe that's why or maybe that opinion has it figured out. Then I shake my head and think this is so out of character for this organization.

Interesting times.

I am going with Rem's one sentence speculation (did that really happen?  one sentence?  :) ) that he is a pre-season bodyguard.  After the gooning that Columbus(?) pulled on us a few seasons ago it is a real concern.

I am going with Rem's one sentence speculation (did that really happen?  one sentence?   :) ) that he is a pre-season bodyguard.  After the gooning that Columbus(?) pulled on us a few seasons ago it is a real concern.

That would make the most sense, I suppose. But wouldn't that point out a weakness for the team going into the season unless the intention is to bring Torres or another enforcer onto the regular season roster.

From the N/O:

General manager Ron Francis defended the decision to bring in the 34-year-old veteran winger on Tuesday, stressing his hopes that Torres has moved on from his controversial past and adding that the tryout gives the team a low-risk opportunity to see what he has left.

“He’s a physical guy,” Francis said. “I actually played against him before my career was over and he was the first guy who reverse-hit me — you’re coming in and you expect to hit the other guy and he hits you first. … If he plays within the rules, he can be an effective player and he’s shown that in the past.”

I really don't know, but so far Francis has made shrewd moves. These PTOs have really no risk (unless he cheap shots one of our own guys, but he should be on his best behavior).

I do wonder if Torres would accept starting in the AHL. If the Canes get pushed around and it becomes a problem bring him up. Is that a possibility? While I hate cheap shots, I bet guys like him are more intimidating than say a Westgarth. Getting run, or cheap shotted has to be more intimidating than just not fighting the other team's goon.

Still, probably nothing comes out of this.

Edited by remkin

It's no secret the guys don't stand up for each other maybe Torres was brought into camp to ruffle feathers and generate some testosterone in the locker room? Maybe he gets guys like Pesce and Slavin to wake up and stand up for their teammates and Torres's free job is done.

That's about all I can think of.  RF says at 34, he hopes to have changed his ways.  That's possible too.  I know when I hit that age (post 33, or 1/3 of a century), I got a different look on life.  But still, this is weird.  Throwing sand in the gears can work both ways: get the gears to grind through it, or chew them up.  We'll see.

If we need a guy to do brute toughness, why not re-sign Westgarth...cheaper, not a goon, not facing a 41 GAME SUSPENSION upon his return to the NHL...

Listening to Luke DeCock on XM this afternoon, he was beside himself on how stupid this move was!

I have little comment on DeCock or Gold.  Sports is a problems-of-life release for me.  These guys want to bring politics (their brand) into it.  IGNORE.

As for Kevin Westgarth: in case you have not paid attention, he is now working for the NHL.  His last gasp in Ireland was enough for him.   That experience gave him a bigger perspective, and he snagged the job for international development, i.e. grow the league overseas.  So, his playing career is done.  You might still see him out and about around Raleigh.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/former-enforcer-kevin-westgarth-joins-nhl-head-office-will-help-grow-league-in-china-europe/

Edited by wxray1

We need a Scott Walker and those types of players are just few and far between.

I just laughed remembering he dropped Witt twice....oh my gosh so funny even today.

I was looking at Torres history to see if he played anywhere with RF or for Peters thinking maybe the tryout was a personal favor.  Didn't notice anything.  But from the N&O article: "He [Francis] said his former agent is part of the agency that represents Torres."

I wonder if the tryout is a favor from RF to his former agent, knowing that the odds of anything coming from it are close to zero? With maybe the possibility of Torres "coaching" the yutes on physical play a bit during his brief stay here? Not the dirty hits part, but more along this statement from Francis:  ". . . he was the first guy who reverse-hit me — you’re coming in and you expect to hit the other guy and he hits you first."

Edited by LakeLivin

I was looking at Torres history to see if he played anywhere with RF or for Peters thinking maybe the tryout was a personal favor.  Didn't notice anything.  But from the N&O article: "He [Francis] said his former agent is part of the agency that represents Torres."

I wonder if the tryout is a favor from RF to his former agent, knowing that the odds of anything coming from it are close to zero? With maybe the possibility of Torres "coaching" the yutes on physical play a bit during his brief stay here? Not the dirty hits part, but more along this statement from Francis:  ". . . he was the first guy who reverse-hit me — you’re coming in and you expect to hit the other guy and he hits you first."

I noticed that too and thought maybe his agent called in a favor. Then I thought even so Francis doesn't strike me as someone that would just burn a favor if he didn't think there was a reasonable chance to evaluate Torres play.  A PTO is low risk with a chance at a reward for the organization.

Having played against him it appears Francis has some respect for his hockey ability minus the dirty play. It is difficult for a player like Torres to change his stripes but I guess you never know.

I don't see this going anywhere for us but some team might take a chance on him if he shows he still has something left in the tank.

LOL..I feel like I'm fence sitting in the middle of a moonless night. Ouch!!!

I for one enjoy the game more when a team has a player that can and is willing to land big time open ice hits that devastates the player.  I cheer harder when big hits happen than when goals are scored to be honest.

I for one enjoy the game more when a team has a player that can and is willing to land big time open ice hits that devastates the player.  I cheer harder when big hits happen than when goals are scored to be honest.

I think with Torres it is more a question of questionable, dirty. or intent to injure hits than "big time" hits

I will admit it would be a culture change

It's no secret the guys don't stand up for each other maybe Torres was brought into camp to ruffle feathers and generate some testosterone in the locker room? Maybe he gets guys like Pesce and Slavin to wake up and stand up for their teammates and Torres's free job is done.

I don't see how you mention rookies Pesce and Slavin before mentioning Faulk.  I've never seen Faulk stand up for a teammate, either.  Matter of fact, the only recent d-man I recall standing up is Hainsey (I'm not considering Gleason recent).  I do remember Faulk getting into a fight after everyone on the ice "paired off" after an incident, but without seeing how it began, odds are it was the opposition who started it as Faulk immediately wrestled his foe to the ground, ending the altercation (which I believe was the right move in that instance, btw).

And I think this illustrates the different opinions on how Faulk is viewed here.  Some may perceive my comment as piling on Faulk (the "whipping boy" principle).  I see it as holding him responsible instead of giving him a pass just because he's arguably been our best player (the "golden boy" principle).   Different people, different opinions . . .

edit:  or Ryan Murphy.  I completely forgot about him, but he's been around long enough that he should also have been much more responsible for standing up for teammates than last season's 3 rookies.  Although, the rookies do need to learn the lesson going forward, as well. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I noticed that too and thought maybe his agent called in a favor. Then I thought even so Francis doesn't strike me as someone that would just burn a favor if he didn't think there was a reasonable chance to evaluate Torres play.  A PTO is low risk with a chance at a reward for the organization.

Having played against him it appears Francis has some respect for his hockey ability minus the dirty play. It is difficult for a player like Torres to change his stripes but I guess you never know.

I don't see this going anywhere for us but some team might take a chance on him if he shows he still has something left in the tank.

LOL..I feel like I'm fence sitting in the middle of a moonless night. Ouch!!!

Francis wouldn't be burning a favor, he'd be either paying off one or gaining a new one.  At little cost, or even some gain if his intent is to use Torres to help teach the Canes some of the finer points of more physical play during training camp.  Not the dirty stuff, the "reverse hit me" stuff. 

No matter what the motivation, I've got to believe that the first thing Francis tells Torres is that if he hurts one of the yutes during training camp, not only will RF immediately dismiss him, he'll also hire a couple of guys named Vinnie and Rocco to discuss things with Torres off the ice.   As I recall, it was a training camp injury to Tim Gleason that preceded his fall off a cliff as far as effectiveness as a Cane.