The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
surfzone365

Road Games

Does anyone ever attend road games on a somewhat regular basis (or anytime?).  I know our market is not known for a large road following like Original 6 markets, at least not that I am aware of.  However, wondering if anyone else is out there like me has no fear of cheering the Canes on at First Niagra Center in Buffalo, or the Rock in Jersey.  Would love to know this and forge alliances while in enemy territory. Games within my reach:

- Washington

- New Jersey

- Philly

- Pittsburgh

- Buffalo

- NY (Both Rangers and Isles)

- Columbus

Very interesting! Visiting every arena would be pretty neat! Given the East Coast is stacked with teams alone, not hard to get underway with that quest.

I might bump this thread and let you know which road games next year I'll be at. If I had time and resources, I'd start a Canes Road tour bus to shuttle hardcore Canes fans to opposing arena to make our presence known...just gotta figure out those 6 winning lottery numbers..,

I live in the DC area too.  Been to several of the Caps/Canes game there over the years.  Not as fun as going to PNC but much more convenient than the drive on I-95 south, especially for the 2x week trips during the 2006 playoffs.  

My son and I took the train up to MSG to catch the Michigan/Penn State basketball/hockey doubleheader they held at the end of January this year, stayed the night, and came back next day - had a great time.  That led into a discussion of doing something similar for the Canes games in Philly, NJ, and NY.  Let's see what is available when the schedule comes out.

I live in the DC area too. Been to several of the Caps/Canes game there over the years. Not as fun as going to PNC but much more convenient than the drive on I-95 south, especially for the 2x week trips during the 2006 playoffs.

My son and I took the train up to MSG to catch the Michigan/Penn State basketball/hockey doubleheader they held at the end of January this year, stayed the night, and came back next day - had a great time. That led into a discussion of doing something similar for the Canes games in Philly, NJ, and NY. Let's see what is available when the schedule comes out.

Glad to see another Caniac in DC area. There is nothing better than being back at PNC on home ice but those of us outside NC will do our part !! ;)

Certainly not on a regular basis, but Ms. G105 and I scored tickets to a game in Toronto at the ACC.  Flew up and spent a couple days looking around the city and then went to the game.  We sat in the lower bowl with the "suits", as the affluent fans there are referred to.  A very polite and fairly quiet crowd.  I think we were the only ones in our section wearing a team sweater.  We lost the game.

Next morning, we took the train from Toronto to Buffalo and attended a game at what was then the HSBC arena.  It was in 2006, but prior to the "unpleasantness" that developed during the ECF against the Sabres.  Crowd wasn't hostile, but not nearly as friendly as the Leafs fans.  Got to try beef on weck and genuine Buffalo wings.  Next morning, we flew back to Raleigh.  We won that game.

Our last out of town trip was the best.  We flew to Helsinki for the first two games of the 2010-11 season.  The Canes played a "home and home" series against the Wild.  Almost 400 Caniacs went on the trip.  The Finns are great; friendly, helpful, approachable, and everybody I met was fluent in English.  No language barrier at all.  All the menus in restaurants are in both Finnish and English.  I'd love to go back for a longer visit.  We won both those games.

Certainly not on a regular basis, but Ms. G105 and I scored tickets to a game in Toronto at the ACC.  Flew up and spent a couple days looking around the city and then went to the game.  We sat in the lower bowl with the "suits", as the affluent fans there are referred to.  A very polite and fairly quiet crowd.  I think we were the only ones in our section wearing a team sweater.  We lost the game.

Next morning, we took the train from Toronto to Buffalo and attended a game at what was then the HSBC arena.  It was in 2006, but prior to the "unpleasantness" that developed during the ECF against the Sabres.  Crowd wasn't hostile, but not nearly as friendly as the Leafs fans.  Got to try beef on weck and genuine Buffalo wings.  Next morning, we flew back to Raleigh.  We won that game.

Our last out of town trip was the best.  We flew to Helsinki for the first two games of the 2010-11 season.  The Canes played a "home and home" series against the Wild.  Almost 400 Caniacs went on the trip.  The Finns are great; friendly, helpful, approachable, and everybody I met was fluent in English.  No language barrier at all.  All the menus in restaurants are in both Finnish and English.  I'd love to go back for a longer visit.  We won both those games.

Great post!  I'm well aware of Buffalo fans, as I work with a few..haha!  I'm ready for the season!  I also anticipate to see more seats filled at PNC.  Great for the team, maybe not so much for my wallet.  I'll take it though!

So...looks like I'm knocking off Chicago, Los Angeles and San Jose this season.

Chicago will happen on Veterans Day...pending I don't get stuck on a tailswap in the Middle East...Hawks vs. Craps.  I don't know which team to cheer for, as I hate em both equally...until they dump Kane and Ovenchicken, respectively.

LA and San Jose will be on the Canes's west coast road trip in December.  Kings/Canes on December 8th...Sharkies/Canes on December 10th. 

Luckily, the Canes/Stars game in Dallas is on a Saturday in February, so I'll probably head down there too.

I have yet to see Carolina win on the road in the 7 games I've seen them at (Dallas, Boston, Detroit, Columbus, Colorado, Anaheim, Florida), so with three games this season, maybe I'll finally get some relief.  Or else they'll probably find a way to perma-ban me from road games!

So, pending I get all three games, that'll be 19/30 by the end of the season...and I'll have to add Vegas next season.

Edited by AWACSooner

My bet is you see your first road win! 

Thanks for the updates on your quest, it's pretty dadgum cool you've done so many arenas thus far and I enjoy your reports on the fan experience.

Are you going on 4 years now?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm equidistant to Columbus and Pittsburgh nowadays so I'll prolly hit up Columbus to see the Canes. 

Pittsburgh's a half hour closer and I'd rather just goto Columbus.

Edited by legend-1

My bet is you see your first road win! 

Thanks for the updates on your quest, it's pretty dadgum cool you've done so many arenas thus far and I enjoy your reports on the fan experience.

Are you going on 4 years now?

Actually, 6...I had the idea in 2010...it'll probably take me to the end of the decade to finish it, since my job often precludes my chances to go travel to the games.

I'm equidistant to Columbus and Pittsburgh nowadays so I'll prolly hit up Columbus to see the Canes. 

Pittsburgh's a half hour closer and I'd rather just goto Columbus.

You around Cambridge, OH?

In Canton, an hour north. At the moment I'm 30 minutes north of Cambridge but hopefully this house hunt stops sucking and we find something in Canton where we intend to live.

Nashville is really interesting...they have live musical entertainment during the intermissions...when we went, it was Vince Gill

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Useless info but I'll be at the Columbus game the 21st, first time being an away fan. :blink:

If the weather permits I may make the drive to Columbus.  Going across the mountains in the winter from DC to Ohio can be super tricky in January. Don't let anyone give you a hard time on the road.  Have fun, be friendly, be respectful. expect some good ribbings, don't talk crap in their house, but be tough. Have fun, and maybe I'll see another Caniac there!!

Wanted to re-kindle this thread to see if any fellow Caniacs have road plans this season.  New Jersey was fun last year.  I'm hoping this year's visits to Capital One (formerly Verizon Center) are more competitive this season. I'm hoping to make one of the Buffalo games since they are on weekends.  Would love to know if/when/where others might make any trips for 2017-18.

Well...if I can somehow convince my wife to head down to Dallas right after getting off a plane back to OKC from Cincy next month, we MIGHT get to the Stars/Canes game in Dallas...but I doubt it. 

Other than that, I doubt I'll catch the boys on the road at all this season.