The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

2016 DRAFT talk

This is going to be interesting.  I wonder if there are a flury of moves just prior to the draft.

:popcorn:  

I get that feeling...

But then I've had that feeling before only to discover it was just gas.

Edited by remkin

Wonder how our group is sleeping about now? rem, in answer to your communication back a few, I still have not mastered how to do a PM!!! I know, I know, its simple but my ability to navigate thru cyberspace is only exceeded by my ability to pick the top 10 in this draft, haha.  In fact, if you recall back a ways, the only reason I sign in with a logo is Lake graciously helped me with that.

On another front, Julien Gautier catches my eye, both for his size and according to some, his workout ethic. Do you think that could spark, and/ or appeal to Rod, enough for him to push for this kid at #21? If so, I wonder where he'd project at the NHL level? 

BTW, just flipped over to Ek's Hockeybuzz site,and he's put up a blurb on Eric Staal, saying that the "Wild and Rangers are interested". It'll be interesting to see where ES winds up, and his eventual salary? I personally hope he and his family land somewhere great, just not back here.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Wonder how our group is sleeping about now? rem, in answer to your communication back a few, I still have not mastered how to do a PM!!! I know, I know, its simple but my ability to navigate thru cyberspace is only exceeded by my ability to pick the top 10 in this draft, haha.  In fact, if you recall back a ways, the only reason I sign in with a logo is Lake graciously helped me with that.

On another front, Julien Gautier catches my eye, both for his size and according to some, his workout ethic. Do you think that could spark, and/ or appeal to Rod, enough for him to push for this kid at #21? If so, I wonder where he'd project at the NHL level? 

Kjun,

Look to the upper right of the page, just under the Hurricane's Message Board banner. Should be a little red number on top of the envelope icon. Click on that and read the message. It'll also tell you how to PM. It's a nice tool to have.

Jullien Gauthier absolutely would have to be looked at with #21. He has free fallen from much higher in the list. That could be a red flag for sure, but also a chance to get a guy in a slot that many picks don't pan out, that has much higher upside.

He is big too 6'4", 225.

This is what Prongman had to say, ranking him at #24:

Gauthier was one of the top goal scorers in the CHL this season, and he was the only draft-eligible player to make Team Canada's team at the WJC. Gauthier is an exciting and dynamic scorer who brings a lot of plus physical attributes to the table. He is a 6-foot-4 forward who is a good skater, and I'd classify him as a high-end one for a big man. Gauthier is a highly skilled puck handler who can dangle and create highlight-reel plays. Gauthier uses his size, competes for space and pucks well, and gets to the dirty areas. His defensive game could use some work, though, as he can be a little loose on his positioning.

Also he's a RW which we need more of...wait a minute...gotta go change my pick for #23 in the contest! Just kidding, but he'd be a good possibility for sure. He clearly has downside, as his slide down from loftier ranking shows.

He is sometimes viewed as one dimensional, shoot first, and:

So, why would a player who is so big and so skilled be projected as far back as the mid-twenties? It all comes down to one word: consistency. Many scouts who viewed Gauthier have, quite frankly, been unimpressed with his ability to make a significant impact on a game-to-game basis and that has been attributed to his hockey IQ. The deciding factor in his draft rankings is whether or not the scout in question believes Gauthier has the hockey IQ to make a consistent impact in the NHL.

From SB Nation Predator's page musing whether to take him at #17 (above, and...)

If the Predators take Gauthier (17) they would be getting a player with legitimate top three potential in the NHL and, from that perspective, you definitely could not argue with the pick.

So much depends on who else falls, but I think #21 is a good spot to take a chance on a guy with huge potential (and huge size) who can score goals, but needs to learn defense and consistency.  More of a gamble, but a lot of chips on the table if you win. But hockey IQ is important. Can it be learned? If not, then pass. If so, then maybe.

When I went back to try to determine how many really good NHL players were picked at #21 in the past several years the list is really short.

Edited by remkin

I am hearing that Columbus is really considering trading the 3rd overall as part of a package to get a big center.  Jordan Staal is not really part of any of our marketing right now.....

I'm kind of surprised J's name keeps popping up. I guess the idea that he is dejected over Eric. But Eric don't live in Columbus either.

The problem with trading Jordan is that it leaves a massive hole up the middle, and that is a very painful condition, I've been told.

I'd love to get Puljavari. Love it love it. But not at the expense of Jordan.

One exception: Francis has another move up his sleeve to bring a 1C in. But I just don't see it unless Jordan wants out, and unless GMRF is lying, that is not the case.

At the risk of drawing fire. I'd trade Faulk way before I'd trade Jordan.

I am hearing that Columbus is really considering trading the 3rd overall as part of a package to get a big center.  Jordan Staal is not really part of any of our marketing right now.....

Better be a lot more coming back than just the third.

The other thing is that the Blue Jackets' GM has said he doesn't want to drop out of the top 10.

“If we move down, it’s not that we’re going to settle for a much lesser of a player by doing it. We feel that the top of the draft is so good that, if we’re going to move back, we’re probably not going to move back very much.

He has offers on the table to move down, and he’s made it clear that he doesn’t want to move out of the top 10.

I think our move is to try to move up a couple of slots without giving up any serious assets.

Supposedly our 3rd round picks are worth about 2 points, and the #12 team is about 2 points ahead of us. Throw them 2 of our 3 and move up to #12, and we probably can get Jost/Brown/Keller/ or Nylander.

Or.....trade Murphy to move up. (I'm going to keep at this trying to trade Murphy thing).

Edited by remkin

Better be a lot more coming back than just the third.

They do have some other useful prospects to sweeten the deal.  Alexander Wennberg, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Kerby Rychel, and Sonny Milano all look promising. 

Or.....trade Murphy to move up. (I'm going to keep at this trying to trade Murphy thing).

Me too. He's years away from peak defensive development and is a former first-rounder. As I've said elsewhere it'd be a it of a sales job, but GMs value first rounders, because draft status gives them cover if a deal doesn't work out: "Hey, he was a former first rounder and was only 23 when we got him!" Chiarelli has confirmed they want RD, and will give up their 4th overall to get it. I'd dangle Murphy for the 4th, and McKeown and our 13th for Eberle.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well, I have a vision, and if by some miracle it comes true tonight, super_dave, among others, including myself, will be doing a happy dance!! What say we take Logan Brown with pick#13, and then double down with Julien Gautier at #21? Talk about doubling our average size quickly? Now, if those 2 could just bring the scoring piece?

I'm thinking of opening chat for the draft, anyone interested?

OK it's always open, but just trying to gauge interest.

Well, I have a vision, and if by some miracle it comes true tonight, super_dave, among others, including myself, will be doing a happy dance!! What say we take Logan Brown with pick#13, and then double down with Julien Gautier at #21? Talk about doubling our average size quickly? Now, if those 2 could just bring the scoring piece?

I'm all for a little size, but if it's all about size, why not just call up Brody Sutter and Brendan Woods and get rid of Jeff Skinner and Teuvo Teravainen?  Oh, wait, we all know the answer to that...

Brown and Gauthier may be the best guys for our needs - i don't know enough about the draft class - and if they are, then trade up if it's what it takes and grab them!  But if size is the only reason to get them, then i'll pass.

I'll probably stick my head in the door, but doubt i'd make a night of it.

Me too. He's years away from peak defensive development and is a former first-rounder. As I've said elsewhere it'd be a it of a sales job, but GMs value first rounders, because draft status gives them cover if a deal doesn't work out: "Hey, he was a former first rounder and was only 23 when we got him!" Chiarelli has confirmed they want RD, and will give up their 4th overall to get it. I'd dangle Murphy for the 4th, and McKeown and our 13th for Eberle.

HAha...Murphy is not worth their 4th round pick, & McKeown, & our #13 for Eberle??? What have you been smoking, & where do I get some?

Chiarelli wants a young, proven top 4 RHD for #4. So who you given up Faulk??? 

I'd offer Pesce, #13, & Murphy for #4. Pesce meets all the criteria except that he is not a proven top 4 D. We might even have to throw in another pick or RHD prospect, but it depends on how much the Oilers think of Pesce.

Edited by rocheccw

If I'm home I could be in a chat.

about 2 more hours to get in picks for the contest then I'll post them. Might use up a bit of bandwidth with that though....

Probably hang out in Chat at least through #21 (unless we trade it). Can follow your picks along in chat too.

I must admit playing the draft pick game was a little like throwing darts at a dart board while blindfolded. I didn't let that stop me and played anyway. I'm looking forward to see what goes on tonight. With all the speculation you would think there will be some moves made at the draft.  You would think!

As it gets closer, I get the sense more and more that we go up and pick twice tonight (through lack of buzz on the web and my own general gut feeling). That's definitely not awful by any means, but it throws a little bit of a wet blanket over my "CANES DO BIG MOVES" party. 

Someone remind me that even if we take both 13 and 21, there's still FA to upgrade our team.

I hope went dont trade any of our  young   d-men, think they are untouchable.. Hope RF And BP think the same..

I'd offer Pesce, #13, & Murphy for #4. Pesce meets all the criteria except that he is not a proven top 4 D. We might even have to throw in another pick or RHD prospect, but it depends on how much the Oilers think of Pesce.

I wouldn't trade Pesce alone for #4.  Faulk, on the other hand...

Peters was asked today on XM about Faulk and him becoming a top 10 NHL D man.

It could happen, but if he's getting that kind of buzz what might he return?

That said, Peters answer was Faulk is still not 100% from his injury and once he is, we will be leaning heavy on him, so I doubt he's actually going anywhere.

Still,....you never know...

Edited by remkin