The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

2016 DRAFT talk

I wouldn't trade Pesce alone for #4.  Faulk, on the other hand...

So you rate Pesce higher than Faulk??? 

I don't want to trade him either, but the Oilers are on record for what they want, and they won't take Murphy unless he is a throw in.

I'd offer 13, 21, & Murphy in a heartbeat to get 4, but the Oilers won't do that. They want a young RHD that they can put in their line up right now.

At the end of the day I just see GMRF walking to the podium and taking the best player on their board at 13, & 21. 

Edited by rocheccw

When the dust settles in 15 years, Pesce is going to be the best pure defensive DMan of the bunch, maybe we have ever had.  I don't know why I think that other than I know what I am seeing right before my eyes.

Granted i took some time away from NHL hockey after the latest lockout, but from what i've seen since returning, Faulk has proven himself to be slightly lower than average from a defensive standpoint.  Above average as a 'power play quarterback' mind you, but below average looking strictly at his defense.  I would rate all 3 of Pesce, Slavin, and Hanifin above Faulk from a defensive standpoint, and relic though i may be, my favorite thing for a defenseman to do is play defense.

I would have to think Pesce,Slavin and Hannifin are untouchable right now.  We've been trying to reach the goal of a very good young defense for years and we finally got it and it showed last year.  they are the reason the NHL has some respect for our team right now.  I don't think RF would mess with that, especially since we have several other avenues to get what we need.

And I don't agree that Faulk is slightly lower than average defenseman.  He's an allstar every year for a reason.  He's an above average defenseman with a huge offensive upside and about to hit his prime.

Edited by danimal-ch1

I do think that Faulk has better defense in him. I really thought when he first came up he was better in his own end. I think he can re-focus on that and that is the piece he needs to be a legit top 20 defenseman.

For years we wanted a puck moving defenseman who could score goals.  We got him and his name is Faulk.

HAha...Murphy is not worth their 4th round pick, & McKeown, & our #13 for Eberle??? What have you been smoking, & where do I get some?

Chiarelli wants a young, proven top 4 RHD for #4. So who you given up Faulk??? 

I'd offer Pesce, #13, & Murphy for #4. Pesce meets all the criteria except that he is not a proven top 4 D. We might even have to throw in another pick or RHD prospect, but it depends on how much the Oilers think of Pesce.

If you'd give up Pesce, I want some of what you've been smoking.

RF has shown already that he's a horse trader. EDM is desperate for D. It's easy for us to forget what that feels like, but look no further than Michal Jordan to remember. If you look at the D EDM was icing last year (have you? I'm guessing no) Murphy is a major upgrade.

Giving up Pesce is (IMO) certifiable. EDM dug the hole it's in. They don't get to call the shots now. The teams they're (trying) to deal with do. That's just business; the price you pay for getting top picks for years and years and STILL not figuring out how to win in spite of it.

He's an allstar every year for a reason.  

Yeah: we had to send somebody. It's in the rules.  :lol:

Seriously, though, I agree at least that Faulk is going nowhere, nor should he. It sends the wrong message to our other developing youth.

This is why I just don't get too excited about the draft. Even in a "generational talent" year, below the 8th pick it's a total crapshoot.

It's also why I don't put much stock in the wisdom that only the top picks are likely to "hit." It's just not supported by the facts, because everybody develops at different rates. At best, the draft is a chance for the worst teams to get a potential prodigy. But soooo much happens and influences player development between a guy getting drafted and playing in the NHL - if indeed he ever does - that (for me) life's too short to worry much about what happens in the draft outside of the top five. I'd rather get a gauge on our talent once we get it into the org and see what it does in the AHL or Europe.

Edited by top-shelf-1

yeah, Bean was an interesting pick. Clearly went best player available over need. Must not have been thrilled with Bellows. 

Wish we had traded up, but just didn't work out i guess.

Gauthier could be a really good pick at #21. Huge, goes to the net, scores.

I'm very happy with the draft.

Just reading up on Bean, he obviously needs to build up some strength but the guy can skate and move the puck well. He put up 64 points this past season. I know we have some depth with our D prospects but Bean brings something different to the table. 

Gauthier is huge and apparently skates well and has surprising speed. Labeled as a "hard-working player" and is known to get to the net. He fits the mold of what we need. I don't think he'll make the roster this year but RF didn't rule it out. With his size and skating ability I'm sure he'll get his fair shot at it.

Edited by TheFaulker

Have to admit i'm still scratching my head a bit over Bean, but i have faith in RF.  Could of course mean he's working on a trade for a forward and Bean will fill the void, or could simply mean Bean was the best available and RF felt it was the best move to take him.  And regardless which is the case, my faith is yet to be shaken.

All told, today wasn't overly interesting from a Canes perspective.  Perhaps tomorrow.

Surprised in the 13th pick, not as much at the 21st. I bet we tried to trade up with Edmonton, but didn't want to lose the assets required. Didn't even hear of Bean, but considering he made his career off of a tryout and went on to set franchise records right off the bat in Juniors I'd consider him hard working as well. And I think with our style under BP his type of game is needed on the backend. Still, would've expected a forward at 13. We still have a lot of picks to go. We did get Aho last year in the second, who looks to be a promising addition to the lineup this coming season.

Yeah Faulker it is an interesting point. Eventually we are going to have to move some defensive assets. But assuming Murphy doesn't realize his imagined upside, we will have big bodied, good defenseman, but not that pure offensive type.

I know Faulk can score, and I think both Fleury and Hanifin will bring offense and even Slavin, but none are that prototypical pure offensive D man.

I have to think Francis just didn't love the forwards he could move up for, and clearly didn't love Bellows, so went BPA, and will stockpile defensive assets, some of which will be moved for forwards. He is looking long term, that's for sure.

I did not expect help up front this year from the draft, but this does kind of feel like it begs one more move up front before the season starts.

Gauthier fell a long way to #21. Could be that he deserved it, but could also mean a lot of serious upside. I'm going with the latter. And if you watched that draft you could see this guy is a physical beast. He goes to the net. And he scores. So that's all good.

Edited by remkin

I didn't work myself up over any of the picks to begin with so nice to see GMRF set himself up for a future trade choosing BPA and pick a system need at right wing that is certified by the NTWA.