The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

2016 DRAFT talk

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/4/16/11440008/2016-nhl-draft-profile-clayton-keller-deserves-to-be-in-fourth

Just a case for Keller going as high as #4. He is also listed potentially still there for us, though most have him going a couple spots ahead of us. If Francis liked him, could move up a slot or two for not much, if he does drop down to 11-12.

Don't usually quote myself, but just listening to prospect radio on XM this morning and they were just gushing about Keller comparing him to Claude Giroux. He's only 5'10", but just off the charts skill and hockey IQ. One comment was his teammates all love him because he makes them all look good by elevating their games. Also, when he comes on the ice you are drawn to watching him.

He's probably gone by #13, but at 5'10" might slip through.

On the other end of the spectrum also like Logan Brown who is very big, but also skates well and has skills.

I missed a lot of it. If anyone heard any other names....I know that they just think Puljavari is off the charts and NHL ready day one, but he probably goes #2 or #3.

Thanks for all the updates on the draft Rem.  I'm curious as to which site you prefer for mock drafts.  I think you put sites up last year but I can't remember.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The best compilation site is:

http://dcprosportsreport.com/NHLMocks.htm

They are focused on the Cap's pick. and the top 7 picks of each mock (last year we were in that group) but it is still a nice compilation, with a click on link to look at the mock in depth (ie to find our mock pick at #13 and beyond (LA pick). There are good mock drafts that they miss, but i just google NHL mock drafts to get the ones they miss. 

I will add that one of the cool things of watching the draft, is eventually hearing names of guys picked by other teams finding their NHL game who were potentially guys we could have taken. Monahan is one you mentioned having seen, which is very cool BTW, and there are many others now who are making their mark now that we had a shot at over the years that I am aware of through following the drafts of years gone by.

Edited by remkin

It is interesting. I like the idea of trading up, even if we can't get all the way into the top 3, but I have heard the names that will be there at #13 described in very glowing terms. This is said to be a very deep draft too. Even if Francis just steps up and makes his picks, we really should get some very good players.

If there were any way to get up to #3 though, NHL ready, near can't miss NHL star forwards live there in either one of the two big Finns.

Edited by remkin

If there were any way to get up to #3 though, NHL ready, near can't miss NHL star forwards live there in either one of the two big Finns.

We'll have 3 very slim chances this Saturday.  Think positive.

Just under 7% chance of getting in the top 3. You never know.

Of course just over 3% of sliding to 14, not that that's the end of the world.

Just under 7% chance of getting in the top 3. You never know.

Of course just over 3% of sliding to 14, not that that's the end of the world.

We'll know early.  When they open the second envelope, and it isn't us, you can start the whooping.  If it is us, you can turn it off before you see Edmonton get the first pick and throw a brick through your TV.  (Can you actually throw a brick through a flat screen now, or are we denied that simple pleasure too?)

We'll know early.  When they open the second envelope, and it isn't us, you can start the whooping.  If it is us, you can turn it off before you see Edmonton get the first pick and throw a brick through your TV.  (Can you actually throw a brick through a flat screen now, or are we denied that simple pleasure too?)

Sadly, we are denied.  It doesn't actually go through and cause a smoking crater like before.  Instead, it bounces off and you crack or knock over the TV (depends on your brick throwing skills and mounting method).

Really sad.  Just use the Elvis method and shoot the TV instead.   That still works as it always has.  :)

Edited by wxray1

Honestly, if it isn't us, I hope it is Edmonton. That gives us the best chance to trade for a 1C with them. They will then arguably have four #1C on their team: McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl, and RNH. Honestly, I'd look to trade Faulk for any of them, though the package is substantially different depending who is the center they are willing to negotiate over. McDavid is assuredly off the table, so I won't propose that. Matthews I'd probably do Faulk straight up. Draisaitl I'd expect to get back a very good pick (maybe 2017 1st) or a good player or prospect, RNH I'd expect to get another significant player, maybe Ellerbe. But their willingness to trade one of them, especially the two I'd rather have in Matthews or Draisaitl are almost zero if they don't win (obviously on Matthews).

Not really draft talk but Edmonton talk that might be worth a lookie in draft pick trade talk, what's up with Yakupov?  Is he an utter disappointment for a #1 overall pick or what?  Right wing, though.  No way do i give them Faulk for the guy, but would he be worth anything at all?

Yakapov is a "take him off your hands" kind of guy. He seems to be a rare complete whiff #1 pick. They happen, just not very often.

The guy is a 30-35 point a year player and in 4 short years is an astounding -88. This is where the plus minus stat has some value. Extremes over time, and by same team comparisons: over the exact same years, on the same team, RNH is -9.

Since he was a #1, if they wanted to throw him into a deal, or give him up for a low draft pick...as a project maybe, but I see little to no value in him currently.

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/

I did this more times then I want to say and oddly enough on the time I was going to call it quits regardless we got 3rd. So in terms of having something in front of your face of just how unlikely it is, theres your sign lol.

Edited by legend-1

Yakapov is a "take him off your hands" kind of guy. He seems to be a rare complete whiff #1 pick. They happen, just not very often.

The guy is a 30-35 point a year player and in 4 short years is an astounding -88. This is where the plus minus stat has some value. Extremes over time, and by same team comparisons: over the exact same years, on the same team, RNH is -9.

Since he was a #1, if they wanted to throw him into a deal, or give him up for a low draft pick...as a project maybe, but I see little to no value in him currently.

Exactly! I did a WARRIOR comparison between him and Gerbe (both have second-line TOI over the last three seasons), and Gerbe generally has more upside than Yakupov. Yakupov has better goals/60 and primary points/60, but Gerbe wipes the ice with Yakupov in Corsi Against/60 Relative, goal suppression and primary assists/60. Their Corsi For/60 Relative numbers are pretty much the same, so Yakupov falls waaaaaaaaay down on the defensive side of the puck.

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/

I did this more times then I want to say and oddly enough on the time I was going to call it quits regardless we got 3rd. So in terms of having something in front of your face of just how unlikely it is, theres your sign lol.

LOL! First time I tried it, the Hurricanes came out winning. Ran it 25 times, the Hurricanes got the first pick twice and third pick once. Can you say "the joy of randomness"? I knew you could....

Still, a 2% chance of getting the #1 pick is not quite vanishingly-small, though it's close. ;-)

Edited by JonKerfoot

I'd bust a lung if we got any of the top 3 picks. They are all super elite. 7%. Just over 1 in 14.

Hey, it could happen. Just ask the Spurs.

Come on Rem, he said "kidney" not "kidneys". You have 2 for heaven's sake.

Yeah, don't be selfish.

Supposedly Laine is gaining some ground on Matthews for the #1 pick.  TSN has an article that reports 2 of 10 NHL scouts surveyed changed their order for the 2 in their most recent rankings and several others had to think about it.  Both should be competing in the upcoming IIHF World Championship tourney, May 6 - 22 in Russia, so if Laine outperforms Matthews in the tourney it could get interesting.  I'd be thrilled even to get Puljujarvi.   7%:  so you're saying there's a chance? :P

http://www.tsn.ca/laine-closes-gap-on-matthews-atop-tsn-draft-rankings-1.478128