The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

2016 DRAFT talk

Well we are lining up and picking them all at this point. Probably continues now. Stock the cupboards full.

Other than Bean it's all forwards and a goalie.

Do agree with the idea of just picking a goalie around the third round every year basically. (edit, and round 5 too).

We have been on a bit of a tear with hitting second rounders, and Aho (BTW the other Aho wen this year) surely creates a sense that we've got the eyes on the Finns. Janne Kuokkanen? Never heard of him. His mid term rank was #27 and final #20 on the European list. On this one absolutely trust the brain trust. Not only a  knack for Finns but getting good second rounders.

We have all lefty's except Gauthier.

No one under 6 feet.

Looks like no moves, no trades will win the points in the contest.

Edited by remkin

Stockpiling forwards and goalies. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by remkin

We have all lefty's except Gauthier.

And our team is already loaded with left shooting forwards. 

Turn off your TV...JR is on!

That's exactly what Mrs. Storm said! LOL. We flipped over to Euro soccer for a few minutes...

I happened to catch the XM NHL Radio replay of the first round this morning and tuned in right after the Julien Gauthier pick. The analyst panel said the Canes had a good draft with their two picks and were very high on Julien, almost over the top in praise. They said he's a big, physical presence in front of the net and he could be a fan favorite (I guess these were Canadian analysts, so I should say "favourite"). This is good, they added, as the Canes need a player to rally the fan base. They cautioned he is a goal scorer first and foremost and with his style of play he will have more goals than assists and the Canes will need to figure out who will be able to best feed him the puck. Defensively he is soft, but they said the Canes should not try to make him into something he's not and run with what he is. All in all, it was a nice segment on the player and the team and I was lucky to have just flipped it on at the right time.

Edited by Red_Storm

Just a bit more on Bean.

Really few negatives. Just needs to get bigger and more physical.

Positives:

Great Skater with outstanding edgework and agility

Covers a lot of ice

Poise with the puck including O zone

Walks the line with head up

hard, accurate slap shot, good wrist shot

Good vision and passing skills

Very solid positionally

Digs hard in board battles

I read a piece that showed a very tight correlation between actual points produced in juniors and making the NHL, for defenseman.

I think the cutoff was around .73 ppg. Above that really good chance to make it.

Bean? .94. Nearly a ppg as a defenseman. :)

Edited by remkin

Well, the draft has concluded, let the ceaseless analysis begin, and the SPIN be put on every pick we made!! Two thoughts come to my mind, one an echo from one of you I enjoy reading every day, although his comments are succinct.

Looking back at comment # 497 I believe, and I'll check that number after I release this post, Super_Dave observed/reflected what never ceases to irk me as much as anything about this sport, and that is the, at times, poorly veiled bias of the media for our team. One has to ask yourself, WHY? I mean, I look at our own John Forslund, and I see a sportscaster who is gracious to a fault. He gives out kudos to all teams alike. What I'd love to know would be the actual # of references to our team were made during this 2 day broadcast, Every other team, including Fla and Tampa Bay got full mention, but not us! Did anyone see even 1 of our draftees get interviewed, because I surely didn't. Then the hockey world wonders why our fan base dwindles, not that this obvious media prejudice is the sole cause, but it surely has some affect? Thus was good to see the turnout at the PNC arena last pm, which astounded many, particularly the food venders.

OK, rant over, the 2nd thing that at least right now has been mildly disappointing was the absence of a trade to follow up with our initial foray with Chicago. I accept the analysis I read over on Canes Country by someone who was a new, but at least with his well thought out post, an insightful thinker related to the #13 pick. That observation was that evidently the Canes brain trust had the #2 defenseman rated above the #11 forward, thus they chose Bean.

Now I've also been informed that, according to Twitter, RF was working the phones pretty well. Evidently there no trades "that made sense", but I sure am hopeful something will materialize in the next few, and we collectively aren't left with our seemingly annual reflection, "we're just in need of 1 more top 6".

Sorry for the negative post, but the firing of MM set me up to this feeling.

Well, the draft has concluded, let the ceaseless analysis begin, and the SPIN be put on every pick we made!! Two thoughts come to my mind, one an echo from one of you I enjoy reading every day, although his comments are succinct.

Looking back at comment # 497 I believe, and I'll check that number after I release this post, Super_Dave observed/reflected what never ceases to irk me as much as anything about this sport, and that is the, at times, poorly veiled bias of the media for our team. One has to ask yourself, WHY? I mean, I look at our own John Forslund, and I see a sportscaster who is gracious to a fault. He gives out kudos to all teams alike. What I'd love to know would be the actual # of references to our team were made during this 2 day broadcast, Every other team, including Fla and Tampa Bay got full mention, but not us! Did anyone see even 1 of our draftees get interviewed, because I surely didn't. Then the hockey world wonders why our fan base dwindles, not that this obvious media prejudice is the sole cause, but it surely has some affect? Thus was good to see the turnout at the PNC arena last pm, which astounded many, particularly the food venders.

OK, rant over, the 2nd thing that at least right now has been mildly disappointing was the absence of a trade to follow up with our initial foray with Chicago. I accept the analysis I read over on Canes Country by someone who was a new, but at least with his well thought out post, an insightful thinker related to the #13 pick. That observation was that evidently the Canes brain trust had the #2 defenseman rated above the #11 forward, thus they chose Bean.

Now I've also been informed that, according to Twitter, RF was working the phones pretty well. Evidently there no trades "that made sense", but I sure am hopeful something will materialize in the next few, and we collectively aren't left with our seemingly annual reflection, "we're just in need of 1 more top 6".

Sorry for the negative post, but the firing of MM set me up to this feeling.

No apologies necessary.  You are SPOT ON.  

Then the hockey world wonders why our fan base dwindles, not that this obvious media prejudice is the sole cause, but it surely has some affect? Thus was good to see the turnout at the PNC arena last pm, which astounded many, particularly the food venders.

Really?  A good turnout at PNC for a draft?

Seems like the Bean pick might not just be BPA, but could become very important down the road. With this expansion draft next year we should come through no problem. But surely we're not going to stay a league of 31 right? In any inevitable future expansion draft, we're gonna have Hanifin, Faulk, Pesce, and Slavin eligible if it happens in two years and Fleury and McKeown will be eligible if it happens after that. The best Dman that we don't protect we're gonna have to trade. So Bean (if he pans out) is probably the least likely to be traded since he'll have to fill in that spot. And it'll be a while before bean's eligible for any expansion draft too. 

Outside of that, our young d core is gonna have to get paid at some point and I'm not sure we'll be able to pay them all at once. Essentially Bean is a rare OFD that will be a cost controlled asset for five years. So we not only get the BPA, but that financial flexibility, too.

Now that the dust has settled and the draft hangover is over it appears that most those who should know better than me think the Canes made outstanding or excellent draft choices. I was hoping for a bit of a shakeup. I was hoping for a "wowzer" trade. More to break the summer boredom than anything else. In retrospect that would of been fun but selfish on my part.

If the deal isn't there you don't make it and stick with the plan. I get it.

If he had of traded Faulk I think I would of hunted him down and slapped him until he came back to his senses.

Seriously RF makes good decisions IMO. You can see this team beginning to take shape.  My wowzer trade comment was a little tongue in cheek. Ok more than a little.

The way the draft played out, it makes sense, and on further analysis I would argue that the right moves were made.

Francis wanted to pick a forward. I have no doubt that in an ideal world we were not looking to go D man for the third consecutive year. (He picked a forward at #21, and didn't take D again until round 6, including 5 forwards in the top 3 rounds).  But at #13, the way the cards fell, it did not make sense to pass on Bean and reach for a guy we could essentially get later at #21.

I'd love to know what the price was to move up to #10 or #11 for Jost or Brown. We know that moving from #12 to #11 was a third rounder. But with 3 third rounders, I'm pretty sure Francis would have made that move, so the price must have been higher. #10 clearly wanted Jost, and would have at least wanted our second rounder (guessing). Probably true for #11 too.

If we assume the price was a second rounder, it could be a tough call, depending on how enamored we were with Brown/Jost. But we've been pretty good with second rounders lately. Ultimately I guess part of the long term analysis would be to see how Janne Koukkanen turns out. If true, the options would have ultimately come down to Bean and Koukkenan vs. Brown Or Jost, if that was the deal.

But we'll never know. It is possible even our second rounder was not enough.

Moving past the "trade up", we are left with who to pick at #13, and in that case, it is pretty obvious in retrospect that Francis got it right.

First, if we really had Bean #2 D, and the next forward #11 F (my math says #10, but either way), then that is not just BPA, but BFBPA (by far the best player available). It is clear that we had Bellows down quite a bit, and were probably saying, "after Brown, it is a collective" McLeod, Kunin, Bellows, Guathier, Jones, Tufte....really about the same grouping. So if the (arguably) #2 D man is there, and your other option is a guy you can get at #21? Clear choice. Take the BFBPA and get your forward at #21 (and 43, 67, 74, and 104).

It really was having that #21 pick, I suspect, that freed Francis to take the BFBPA. We were going to get our forward in the first round. If we had to wait until pick #43 for that forward, he probably reaches for a forward at #13.

And getting Gauthier really does make it all go down easy.  We do need a power forward. And he really could end up being a very good one. He's going to need a nifty playmaker to play with, but find that combo and lots of points could ensue. I have become pretty excited about Gauthier the more I look into him. I would rather have had the ultra skilled playmaking Keller, but really, he went #7, and that wasn't happening.

I never really expected Francis to trade picks for a player straight up. He wants to draft, and we traded our bonus second rounder already to get TT. I did think a third rounder might be a sweetener in a deal, if not just because we had 3 of them, but really the plan to draft guys is still the plan.

Also, while I have been very tempted on the Faulk thing, purely in speculation land of course, I've also said, I just don't see it. Even Bean will now probably take 2-3 years to really be NHL full time ready. Fleury and McKeown, need another year. And we need our 5-6 slot for Hanifin to keep developing, at least the first part of the year, and while Slavin/Pesce were really good, they're still very young and green. This D needs to simmer at least one more year before even seriously considering actually moving a guy like Faulk. (Event then, w/ Hainsey and Wiz probably out the following year, we may need yet another year).

I do think we'll really see what we have in Faulk this year. The amazing thing about Faulk is that he is still only 24. D men supposedly peak at 29. So I'm not saying he peaks, but we do need to see better D zone play this year. As I've mentioned before, if he does it, he is legit, and we will go farther because of it. I do think he has it in him.

So, in the end, Francis played the cards he was dealt as well as they could be played IMO.

I continue to maintain that we have two main areas of need: we need one more legit 40-50 point or better forward. We need Cam and Lack to play better than ever, or we still could use an upgrade in goal. Putting Aho on the big club, we do not seem to have any clear cut elite forwards in our farm system (Gauthier as the potential). So all the more reason to try to find a guy out there somehow through trade or UFA.

I think it's fair to say our defense now and in the future is in pretty good shape.

Edited by remkin