The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JonKerfoot

Carrick Brothers The Next Staals?

http://new.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/youngest-of-carrick-quartet-running-with-the-colts

Was poking around the web this morning and saw this article on the OHL website. Maybe it's because hockey isn't as large a sport as some others, but I find it interesting how many brother, father/son, etc. combinations there are in hockey.

There were the Sutters, then there were the Staals, and the newest is the Carrick family - all OHL players, with the youngest contending for a league title this season.

Funny, too, how the Hurricanes have ties to the Sutters, the Staals, and now the Carricks.

There have been so many over the years. But these guys are still my favorites, and are widely acknowledged as the inspiration for the fictional Hansons of "Slap Shot":

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/07/hockeys-battling-brothers-plager.html

I know nothing about the Plagers beyond my hockey card collection - i actually have the top two cards in that writeup.  Cool story though.

Nor did i have a clue there were more than one Carrick.  I'm glad JR isn't here still - he'd have traded for the rest of them by now.

There have been so many over the years. But these guys are still my favorites, and are widely acknowledged as the inspiration for the fictional Hansons of "Slap Shot":

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/07/hockeys-battling-brothers-plager.html

Was looking around the 'net - I have a bad habit of following links wherever they lead - and saw that Bill Plager passed away back in January of this year. Barclay died of a brain tumor in 1988. Bob is still around, age 73.

Was looking around the 'net - I have a bad habit of following links wherever they lead - and saw that Bill Plager passed away back in January of this year. Barclay died of a brain tumor in 1988. Bob is still around, age 73.

I went to hockey camp in St. Andrews, New Brunswick back when the facility was also the Blues' training camp location. This had to be, like, '71. One of the Plager boys put in an appearance while I was there, I think it was Bill. Very cool.

Hockey is an incredibly small community, populated by some of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. I was at an October Kelowna Rockets game about eight years ago, and got talking to the guy next to me. When he found out I was from Carolina, he turned to the guy next to him and said, "This guy next to me is from Carolina." Then he turned back to me and said, "Meet Mel Recchi, Mark's dad."

The Recchis are from Kamloops, which is about 60 miles, as the crow flies, from Kelowna. (Which means it's about 100 miles by car. :) ) Mark is a co-owner of the Blazers, Kamloops' WHL team, and with the season just starting, his dad was there to get a feel for what the Rockets and their competition that night, the Everett Silvertips, had in their cupboards that season. 

Go figure. Head to game to pass a few hours while in town for a convention and next thing you know you're talking to Mark Recchi's dad.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Great story Top!

I had to go to Peterborough, ON in February a few years ago for my work.  There was a Petes-67's game during one night of my trip so I bought tickets way in advance for like $12.  It was Sean Monahan's draft year.  Since the Canes were out of it by Thanksgiving that year I had been following the draft pretty closely.  I was convinced we were taking Monahan and I was pumped to see our number one pick actually play a game.

The 67's went down 3-0, Monahan scores a hat trick in the third, and the 67's go on to win in overtime.

Then we drafted Lindholm.

Great story Top!

I had to go to Peterborough, ON in February a few years ago for my work.  There was a Petes-67's game during one night of my trip so I bought tickets way in advance for like $12.  It was Sean Monahan's draft year.  Since the Canes were out of it by Thanksgiving that year I had been following the draft pretty closely.  I was convinced we were taking Monahan and I was pumped to see our number one pick actually play a game.

The 67's went down 3-0, Monahan scores a hat trick in the third, and the 67's go on to win in overtime.

Then we drafted Lindholm.

Ouch. 

And, yeah, how about those ticket prices?! No wonder the players are billeted. :)

I went to hockey camp in St. Andrews, New Brunswick back when the facility was also the Blues' training camp location. This had to be, like, '71. One of the Plager boys put in an appearance while I was there, I think it was Bill. Very cool.

Hockey is an incredibly small community, populated by some of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. I was at an October Kelowna Rockets game about eight years ago, and got talking to the guy next to me. When he found out I was from Carolina, he turned to the guy next to him and said, "This guy next to me is from Carolina." Then he turned back to me and said, "Meet Mel Recchi, Mark's dad."

The Recchis are from Kamloops, which is about 60 miles, as the crow flies, from Kelowna. (Which means it's about 100 miles by car. :) ) Mark is a co-owner of the Blazers, Kamloops' WHL team, and with the season just starting, his dad was there to get a feel for what the Rockets and their competition that night, the Everett Silvertips, had in their cupboards that season. 

Go figure. Head to game to pass a few hours while in town for a convention and next thing you know you're talking to Mark Recchi's dad.

That is a really cool story, top. :-)

I've met a few "famous" sports people over the years, but nothing quite like that.

Edited by JonKerfoot