The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Expansion

http://www.tsn.ca/nhlpa-won-t-stand-in-way-of-expansion-1.480529

some excerpts:

The National Hockey League and the Players’ Association have agreed upon the rules of engagement for an expansion draft.  Players with no-trade clauses are not exempt and can be left exposed.

If the NHL is going to expand for the 2017-18 season the league has stated it would have to inform general managers prior to this year’s entry draft in late June. A source said Friday that if expansion is going to move forward, mid-May is the timetable for an announcement. 

If there was an expansion draft, it would be held prior to the entry draft in the spring of 2017.

As previously reported, teams would be allowed to protect seven forwards, three defencemen and one goaltender or eight skaters and a goaltender.

Now it is getting interesting

Jordan Staal will have a full NTC

Wiz and Hainsey have modified NTC but thier contracts expire at the end of next season.

I suppose E or Ward-O could be re-signed with NTC

No reason to sign any players with a NTC to try and circumvent an expansion draft. 

Yeah that NTC thing was interesting. So the NTC does not apply. It will be interesting to see if teams dangle any of those guys. I cannot imagine us leaving J out there.

The other aspects of the rules we discussed elsewhere work outstanding for us since our trio of rookie d men are exempt and we can protect other guys. It this were put off one more year it would have been bad. We should be able to survive this one with no major losses.

rem, they didn't say that they were going to approve any expansion for 2017-18,  just that one more necessary piece was in place if they did.  And they pointed out how tight the timelines are if they do.  Plus, they could still approve Vegas for 2017-18 and Quebec for 2018-19.  To me that seems like it might make a bit more sense than bringing in 2 teams at once (I'm not sure why exactly, it just does).

Edited by LakeLivin

They're expanding 17-18. They may not have fully admitted it yet, but it looks pretty likely.

Now if they do round 2 the next year, we probably have more trouble protecting guys.

Clarification on the expansion draft rules:  teams don't have to protect players with NTCs in contracts that expire at the end of next season.  They do have to protect players with NTCs in contracts that run longer than that.  That's different from what was first reported.

Players traded after Jan 1st can't come back to the team that traded them for 1 year.  That's to discourage last second trades by teams to avoid losing a desirable player to expansion without getting anything back.  Seems like that might open up trade options for a couple of goalies a bit sooner than if the rule wasn't in place. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Las Vegas has been approved for expansion. 1st season will be 2017-18.

Did you see the new proposed franchise fee for Las Vegas?

Just saw it on ESPN. It's gone up from $80mil to $500mil!

Edited by hopper915

I was wondering if they were going to screw up and put them in the East. It's about how they roll.

You know, keeps the relocation rumor mill going.

Edited by super_dave_1

Dunno how you make an expansion team more competitive out of the gate but it really seems like it takes an expansion team about 5 years to climb out of the complete joke zone and into the next phase of just being mediocre. 

Dunno how you make an expansion team more competitive out of the gate but it really seems like it takes an expansion team about 5 years to climb out of the complete joke zone and into the next phase of just being mediocre.

Just think about what it takes to develop a minor league team to feed the NHL monster. Starting from scratch is a rough go.

I'm sure it will still take a while but the NHL did reduce what a team can protect in the expansion draft in order to speed up the process.  Heck, there's a good chance Vegas starts out with a better goalie than whoever the Canes start next season! 

I'm sure it will still take a while but the NHL did reduce what a team can protect in the expansion draft in order to speed up the process.  Heck, there's a good chance Vegas starts out with a better goalie than whoever the Canes start next season! 

Unless GMRF fleeces some other GM who doesn't want to lose a good goalie for nothing.

Unless GMRF fleeces some other GM who doesn't want to lose a good goalie for nothing.

That's going to be a lot tougher than the TT/ Bickell trade.  There is going to be more competition for one of those quality 2nd goalies than there were teams willing/ able to pick up Bickell's contract.

Well, I found my second Western Conference team after Dallas...Las Vegas...and since the Mrs. and I go there at least once a year (except the past three, as we've been on a European-induced hiatus)...   :D

That one'll be easy to check off the pilgrimage!!

Wish we could leave both goalies open and protect more players.

I know the goalies have been talked about at length but with our defensive depth does Francis go ahead and move one of Slavin or Pesce for the offense to avoid losing one of them for nothing?

That's figuring you're protecting Faulk, Hanifin to begin with. One of Slavin or Pesce will be available and that'll sting.

go ahead and move one of Slavin or Pesce for the offense to avoid losing one of them for nothing?

That's figuring you're protecting Faulk

Everyone knows my thoughts on this so i might as well cash in.  If RF protects Faulk at the expense of Slavin or Pesce, he might as well re-sign Terry, protect him, and let Aho walk.  Would be about the equivalent, IMO.

What are the rules on skaters? I was thinking that Pesce/Slavin/Hanifin would all be exempt for only having one season...but I'm in too big a hurry to check. Do we have to protect them?

If we get past all of the negatives, a Hall for Faulk deal is probably there.

Pesce/ Slavin/ Hanifin/ DiGi/ Aho don't need to be protected. Players with NTCs must be protected unless they waive that right.  With the exception that players with NTCs that expire at the end of next season can be exposed.

Edited by LakeLivin