The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Expansion

Well, the Quebec media is already parsing every nuance about this announcement, and are fully convinced that this means Carolina is on their way north.

The pundit I was listening to today had it all figured out.  Of course, a small market can't afford the $500M, so it has to be a relocation.   And JR has his legal issues.  Slam dunk, Canes moving north.  Blah, blah, blah.

This isn't new news to any of ya.  But just verifying what a lot of you said.  This crap isn't going away anytime soon.  If anything, we're going to be hearing more and more of it.

Edited by wxray1

Dear Quebec. You lost at expansion. Now stop sniffing around our team and get back to eating caribou and horse and dodging icicles.

I know the goalies have been talked about at length but with our defensive depth does Francis go ahead and move one of Slavin or Pesce for the offense to avoid losing one of them for nothing?

That's figuring you're protecting Faulk, Hanifin to begin with. One of Slavin or Pesce will be available and that'll sting.

Hanifin, Slavin, and Pesce don't need to be protected.  They are exempt.  Having Hainsey and Wiz, and even Bickell actually helps relative to exposing players.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Hanifin, Slavin, and Pesce don't need to be protected.  They are exempt.  Having Hainsey and Wiz, and even Bickell actually helps relative to exposing players.

Well we still need a Dman signed through 2017-18 that meet the 40/70 game rule.

Reno.

They will be the Reno Rhino's and building on our size matters thread they will use only "little people".

Their motto will be "The biggest Little Hockey Team in the World".

But seriously Reno did once have a WCHL team: the Reno Renegades. But they folded in 1997. So....I have no idea.

Edited by remkin

Pesce/ Slavin/ Hanifin/ DiGi/ Aho don't need to be protected. Players with NTCs must be protected unless they waive that right.  With the exception that players with NTCs that expire at the end of next season can be exposed.

I was reading through the thread and stopped here.  You can verify for yourself but I don't think this is correct.  Per the NHL:

"All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)".

Edited by coastal_caniac

Reno.

They will be the Reno Rhino's and building on our size matters thread they will use only "little people".

Their motto will be "The biggest Little Hockey Team in the World".

But seriously Reno did once have a WCHL team: the Reno Renegades. But they folded in 1997. So....I have no idea.

"I shot a goalie in Reno ,just to watch him die"

Las Vegas, Reno, Fresno, California, Salt Lake City or Sacramento, California, per the story

I was reading through the thread and stopped here.  You can verify for yourself but I don't think this is correct.  Per the NHL:

"All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)".

I got that from one of the first reports out after the league announced the expansion draft rules to the teams (article below).  On the one hand, that exemption covers players who will be UFAs in a week, so why would Vegas spend a pick on them in the expansion draft?  On the other hand, it covers players whose contracts are expiring in a week, so why should teams have to expend an exemption on them to protect them?

I'm not positive, but I'd wager that the exception does exist to cover the technicality that players with contracts that expire in a week are still under contract at the time of the expansion draft. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/reports-expansion-draft-info-given-to-nhl-teams/

"Any player with a no-movement clause that extends into 2017-18 – including those modified by limited no-trades, such as Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury – would count against the protection limit, according to Johnston. Teams could ask those players to waive their clause to be eligible for the expansion draft. However, Mirtle reported there is likely to be exceptions for players with career-ending injuries like Ryane Clowe and Nathan Horton. Those with contracts expiring on June 30, 2017, like Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman and Minnesota Wild right winger Thomas Vanek, would be exempt because of their impending free agent statuses."

So i'm just curious here.  This is all hypothetical, of course, but say EDM did offer up Draisaitl for Faulk and RF bit.  We end up with absolutely no defensemen who fit the 40/70 rule for the expansion draft.  What is the penalty for that?  We have to expose yutes instead?  We have to expose more forwards?  PK pays a hefty fine?

Anybody know?

So i'm just curious here.  This is all hypothetical, of course, but say EDM did offer up Draisaitl for Faulk and RF bit.  We end up with absolutely no defensemen who fit the 40/70 rule for the expansion draft.  What is the penalty for that?  We have to expose yutes instead?  We have to expose more forwards?  PK pays a hefty fine?

Anybody know?

Realm, at #38 asks a very good question, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer again? This could be a loophole in the rules of this expansion draft, and I can't conceive how RF could be penalized in that type of scenario, if he is attempting to improve his team.

In a slightly different train of thought, another thought crossed my mind that I wanted to put out there. Can't recall if I previously stated this, but, could a shrewd, and highly attentive GM study the players exposed by teams for this expansion draft, who presumably are considered "expendable" by that team, then after said expansion draft took place, could Ron then move in on someone he thinks improves this team?

Or, is that list kept confidential?

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Humorous article. Just posting since it includes Rattie and PDG into the Vegas lineup.http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/projecting-a-roster-for-the-nhls-new-las-vegas-expansion-team/

Humorous and another example of how little many reporters know when it comes to the Canes. 

"Phil Di Giuseppe (CAR): The Hurricanes have to protect their young D corps, which likely leaves a player like Di Giuseppe available. He appeared in the first 41 games of his NHL career last season and had 17 points and showed some signs of promise."

The opposite is true. The only young D man of interest we need to protect is Faulk; all the rest are exempt, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

Phil will be back. Look at the difference in McGinn. The right AHL coach/approach is huge.

As for protecting PDG, he's not even eligible at the moment. That reporter listed the rules and then paid them no attention when writing his piece. That, or the online tool he used is flawed. Or both.