The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Portal

Who the heck told the Canes' webmaster about a portal?  Montreal's is the worst.  I've always hated having to navigate through them.  And now we have it.

Just curious g105. What is this portal you speak of?

Whew, I thought I was the only one.  If our Moderator doesn't know what g105 is talking about, then I feel better, because I sure as heck don't know what this portal thing is.

I have a basic understanding of a web portal but not sure what exactly g105 is trying to point out. I was hoping g105 would post a followup.  Changes on the entry page perhaps?

I live in a world of ignorance and I relish being part of it!

Yeah, must be the new entry page hawking season tix.

Hey, at least we don't have to choose between languages! (I guess the options in this "province" would be "Yankee" and "Country.")

Top Shelf nailed it.  It's the extra page that is displayed requiring you to click on "Go to Hurricanes.com" prior to getting to the regular home page.  I refer to that extra page as a portal.  It comes and goes, as the Canes hawk tickets.  Like he says, at least we don't have to select a language.  But this is the first year that I've noted it on the Canes' web site.  I find it a PITA to have to go through the extra step.  Just lazy, I guess.

Ah, got it. I thought we had that last year too, but I could be mistaken. I notice a lot of teams use them though. The French speakers (Montreal) have you click on your language first.

If anybody cares (and I sure don't - or didn't THINK I did, until I started researching it. STOOPID INTERNET!!) there really seems to be no accepted name for the page we're talking about. Site developers call the first page you land on (go figure!) "the landing page," although the term "entry page" is considered synonymous. Developers and webmasters, however, use those terms in an analytics sense, i.e., they consider the first page on which any visit begins the "landing" or "entry" page for that visit.

The most widely accepted use of "portal page" seems (in Intergeek speak, at least) to refer to a page requiring a login before proceeding to do a specific task on the site. For example, if your company has an "Employee Portal" on its website, the Portal Page is the page you sign in on to get to the employees-only content.

Like I said: Who cares, right!

But here's some help for g105. If you'd rather skip having to hit "Enter Carolina Hurricanes.com," plug this URL into your browser: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/index.html

That will take you straight to the front (or home) page. If you then bookmark that page it and put the bookmark at the top of your browser, you should be able to click the bookmark and boom, you're in. If you'd rather come straight to these discussion boards, bookmark this URL: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/

If anybody cares (and I sure don't - or didn't THINK I did, until I started researching it. STOOPID INTERNET!!) there really seems to be no accepted name for the page we're talking about. Site developers call the first page you land on (go figure!) "the landing page," although the term "entry page" is considered synonymous. Developers and webmasters, however, use those terms in an analytics sense, i.e., they consider the first page on which any visit begins the "landing" or "entry" page for that visit.

The most widely accepted use of "portal page" seems (in Intergeek speak, at least) to refer to a page requiring a login before proceeding to do a specific task on the site. For example, if your company has an "Employee Portal" on its website, the Portal Page is the page you sign in on to get to the employees-only content.

Like I said: Who cares, right!

But here's some help for g105. If you'd rather skip having to hit "Enter Carolina Hurricanes.com," plug this URL into your browser: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/index.html

That will take you straight to the front (or home) page. If you then bookmark that page it and put the bookmark at the top of your browser, you should be able to click the bookmark and boom, you're in. If you'd rather come straight to these discussion boards, bookmark this URL: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/

I used to do web pages as part of my job.  Lots of companies used to use what were called 'splash pages' that showed the company logo and then you had to click to enter the site.  The 'portal' g105 speaks of is kind of a different thing, but i still call it a 'splash page'.  Always hated them and would advise clients not to have them because the only real purpose they served was throwing up another door between their customer and the information the customer was looking for.  Same thing applies to the tickets or whatnot.  Anyone wanting tickets will find them just as easily with the 'tickets' tab at the top of the page as they will a special portal/splash page.

If anybody cares (and I sure don't - or didn't THINK I did, until I started researching it. STOOPID INTERNET!!)...........

Good info in a funny package. :lol:

I thought this thread was about a sure-fired way to get to the playoffs.  :blink:    Dadgum.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I havent looked at the main page in months, I just type fans.hurricanes.nhl.com easy enough to remember.

You might ask, why don't you bookmark it? Well, I work in IT and I might be installing software anywhere and got used to just typing it out.

I referred to the page as a "portal" because it directs you to "enter" the main page.  Seemed natural to call it a portal.  But whatever the proper name is, I don't care for it.  I'm the only one who uses this computer so I made the Canes home page my browser home page.  I'm too lazy to type it out every time. I just want it to pop up when I open my browser.  I agree with realmdrakker, why add a hurdle to have to jump in order to get to the main site?  Seems self defeating.  Anyhow, that's about all I'm gonna say about that.

Good info in a funny package. :lol:

I thought this thread was about a sure-fired way to get to the playoffs.  :blink:    Dadgum.

THAT'S IT!!!

ALL THESE YEARS, PK HAS BEEN FORGETTING TO LOG IN!!!

I'm bookmarked to land on the message board.  If I want to see something on the main page, access my STH account, etc. I back out from there.  No portal to deal with.

That's the way I roll

I'm bookmarked to land on the message board.  If I want to see something on the main page, access my STH account, etc. I back out from there.  No portal to deal with.

That's the way I roll

(One of the better opening songs we have had over the years).