The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2016 IIHF World Championship

2016 IIHF World Championship

Four Canes Set for Worlds - By Michael Smith
Two Carolina Hurricanes players, a prospect and the team’s head coach will represent their respective countries in the 2016 IIHF World Championship, which takes place in Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia, from Friday, May 6, through Sunday, May 22.

MAY 6 USA vs. CANADA 9:15 a.m. NBCSN

We get a chance to see Aho on May 9 when Finland and USA meet

MAY 9 FINLAND vs. USA 1:15 p.m. NBCSN

Couldn't be happier Peters is the head coach.  Speaks volumes to what Hockey Canada thinks about Bills ability - thanks RF for snagging him.  Not to mention top players in Canada's dressing room get to see him up close and personal.  Who knows if that doesn't pay off in some small way by way of his getting a good reputation around the league from some of the best players.

Kinetico Spokesman Coach Peters will also get to see Sebastian Aho up close and personal in this tourney playing for the Fins.  This may do more for his making the big club this September than the actual camp which obviously is still quite important. Only 5'11" 175 lbs though...

Sebastian Aho, LW (Carolina): In dealing captain Eric Staal and several other veterans at the deadline, Carolina pushed its rebuild into all-in mode. The Hurricanes have a lot of great young defensemen, but more help is needed up front. That’s where Aho can make his mark. The Finnish kid broke out at the world juniors, centering a line with 2016 draft phenoms Jesse Puljujarvi and Patrik Laine. And while the younger wingers got the attention, it was Aho who held the trio together thanks to his smarts and defensive sense of responsibility. And yeah, he also put up 14 points in seven games, second in the tournament to Puljujarvi – so scoring wasn’t an issue, either.

Aho has continued to play well back home with Karpat Oulu. The team just lost the pan-European Champions League final to Sweden’s Frolunda and locally sits second in Finland’s Liiga right now. Most impressively, Aho leads Oulu in scoring with 37 points through 41 games. Not bad for the local kid.

And next on the agenda may be the NHL. Carolina will give Aho the chance to seize a roster spot next season and based on how quickly the kid has developed, I wouldn’t bet against him. The left winger proved at the world juniors that he can play center and even if he’s not a pivot right away with the Canes, that diversity will help in the future.

Make no mistake, Sebastian Aho might look like your rebellious teenage nephew or whatever, but he is extremely mature and intelligent. He will be our Justin Faulk of forwards.. a low key 2nd rounder that turns into a star. Watch for him in the tournament. He'll be in the top 6 with NHLers like Koivu, Granlund, Jokinen, and Barkov. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot about Aho being the best and smartest player on the ice many games.

Hopefully more folks here will have a chance to see him. I've read he will be playing on a line with Granlund and Koivu.  If he stays to form he'll make those players better.

And not to forget, we get the chance to watch Hanifin vs Aho.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Donwake I hope your right about Aho.  I heard all this before about Lindholm and he isn't anything more than a 3rd line center at this point; way too many holes in his game.

Canada and US skating hard in the first - boys are sticking to hockey so far and avoiding the hate and discontent that usually accompanies a US/Canada matchup...

Since this is the world championship thread maybe we should take this discussion over to the off season talk topic.

Since I was the cause of the tread being dis-railed I went ahead and moved the posts. Lindholm chatter can be found here

Lindholm is the most interesting case on the team for me. I mean sure he's been in the league for 3 years, but he was rushed in by that buffoon JR and then mishandled by Mueller. Realistically, this ideally would've been Lindholm's rookie year if we had had a competent management. For a guy who's still not physically ready, 39 pts isn't too bad especially when you consider his career low 6% shooting. Just look at Winnipeg's Mark Scheifele. A 7th oa center who looked like a bad pick until this year. Now he's a 23 year old number one center getting 60-70 points a season. If Lindholm isn't that in two years, he'll be a disappointment in my eyes, but for now he's gotta have a great offseason.

Aho is just a different thing all together. different kind of player and he's being developed correctly. He'll be put in the situation he needs to be in to succeed. He's got a lot of talent though he's not the biggest or most physical player, though his game doesn't really need it and he's a winger not a center

Very well said, donwake. At 21, Lindholm has already played 61 more games than the 23-year-old Rask, and big minutes. He spent much of last year on the team's worst line (Eric's).

Aho is a different player, but the potential for the same mistakes remains. Everybody is sooooooo high on him, and given what he's achieved, that's warranted. But he's just 18, and he comes from that same European system as Lindholm: namely, he has played half or fewer games per season than he would as Canadian Junior, let alone an AHLer or NHLer. Some here might not want to hear it, but if we throw Aho on anything above the third line next year - and I'll frankly be surprised if he's rushed onto the roster at all - we're putting him in the same crappy situation we did Lindholm.

PDG, Tolchinsky, Brown, McGinn, Bishop, Sutter, Woods, Wallmark - every one of those guys, just based on age and games played, should start camp above Aho on the depth chart, and Canes fans should get used to that. One needs look no further than Rask to see what a difference a year in the AHL makes. Rushing a kid who has played 40 games per season just because he excelled at a markedly different level is just pure failure to (1) stick to the plan, and (2) learn from prior mistakes.

Since this is the world championship thread maybe we should take this discussion over to the off season talk topic.

Since I was the cause of the tread being dis-railed I went ahead and moved the posts. Lindholm chatter can be found here

Just cross-posted, will move my last. Thanks OBX.

Thanx OBXer, there are just too many instances in too many different settings where Aho keeps standing out for him not to be the deal.

Canes fans might have to get used to the fact Aho could be the real deal. :grin:   We need to be pushing guys down the depth chart, not holding back skill.  I'll go out on a limb and agree with Dreger. 

But Top is right, rushing him isn't sticking with the plan.  Personally, I think he's been developed just fine up to this point.

Great problem to have.

And just a point of clarification, Aho has played in 59 games with Karpat, including the playoffs, and you can add the WJC and now the IIHFWC if you care to.  He's not playing a college schedule.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Never said he's not the real deal, Coastal. Just that we've seen what happens when you ask an 18-year-old forward to play twice the games, covering a continent 25 times the size of his prior league, in his rookie year, without first getting acclimated to that workload in the AHL--and we've seen the difference that giving one that extra year has made for Rask. Aho's numbers look much stronger than Lindholm, I get that. But you do realize that Lindholm finished his last pro year in Sweden a +1, and was a gaudy +24 with 49 points in 36 games in his last year as a Super Elite, prior to playing with the big boys, right?

Please don't suggest I wouldn't be elated if Aho stepped in and set the world on fire next year. Lord knows we need that. But that cuts both ways, and nothing will make me angrier than if we bet the ranch on things working out that way, and three years from now, everybody is blaming Aho - just as many today are blaming Lindholm - for "underperforming," when in reality it would be on the organization for rushing him. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'll say from what I heard, what Aho did was unprecedented. He was the first teenager since 1984 to score at a ppg pace and apparently was carrying his team through the season. Now, usually in European leagues teenagers don't get 6 six "go to guy" roles. Also, with the Finnish league regular season, playoffs, and all the tournaments and exhibition games he's played and continues to play in, he's played a to of games, probably 70-80. Granted I think Aho will need adjusting I'm not expecting a star player right away. I think he will be very special in a couple years though. I know as a canes fan we're used to being pessimistic though haha

Yeah, I'm not expecting Aho to come in and light it up, but the notion that he "has" to develop in the AHL, or be behind everybody on a depth chart, or we are rushing him or something I just don't agree with, every player is different.

Finland is proving to be a great place to pluck players from (see 2016 draft rankings and mocks), and their programs are top notch in international competition, and I really don't see a drop off from the elite Euro leagues and the AHL.  That gap has narrowed considerably.

I also don't agree with comparing Lindholm to Aho, totally different players for one, and much different situation, considering Aho's experience.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well Lindholm was pressed into duty immediately in his draft year. Aho has already used that year to further his development. He will be 19 all of next year. That IS asking a lot, and he may not be ready for sure, the one thing he has not done is adjust to the smaller ice. When one adds the incredible speed of the NHL game to the smaller ice, reaction time has to be much quicker. So I'm all for seeing how it goes.

But, this kid has now dominated skilled men in the Finnish league, dominated the world's best at his age at world juniors, and now looked good with some of the world's best men, many NHL players, in this tourney. He just might be ready.

I'd also point out that he was right there with the superstars of this draft in points: Matthews, Laine, and Puljavari, and they are all thought to be NHL ready.

Unless Francis finds two NHL top 9 vets or trades WAY up in the draft, my bet is Aho makes the roster.

Edited by remkin

One difference is that Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi are all big kids.  Aho weighs what, a buck seventy?  I'm certainly not implying that his size will impede his ultimate NHL success, but I wonder if it might make him more vulnerable as he adjusts to the smaller ice size and faster speeds in the NHL.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be considered for making the Canes out of camp, but at this point I'd hope that he's not being counted on.  I think the default should be Charlotte and if he forces the organizations hand, so much the better.

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake I think you are also pointing out my point that Francis should try to find two forwards, even if the anticipation is for Aho to make the team.

It is all about depth. Most of the time I think of depth as an injury thing, and it is that, but it is also a "best performers play in top 9" thing. In the end if our depth pushes, say PDG to the 4th line, that's not a terrible thing. A Malone or other 4th liner might sit in the press box for a while, but the team is stronger, and a PDG will still get chances in the top 9 w/ injuries or underperformances.

Make the guys pushing up seriously earn their NHL ice time. No Bowmans or Terry's who end up getting time by default.

If we end up with a couple of AHL prospects beyond ready, then we can make trades if need be.

Also, this year especially, guys like Roy, Saarela, Zykov, our new draft picks, etc. need 1-3 more years, maybe Aho too. That means this year we need to find pieces up front that are ready to go.

Lake I think you are also pointing out my point that Francis should try to find two forwards, even if the anticipation is for Aho to make the team.

It is all about depth. Most of the time I think of depth as an injury thing, and it is that, but it is also a "best performers play in top 9" thing. In the end if our depth pushes, say PDG to the 4th line, that's not a terrible thing. A Malone or other 4th liner might sit in the press box for a while, but the team is stronger, and a PDG will still get chances in the top 9 w/ injuries or underperformances.

Make the guys pushing up seriously earn their NHL ice time. No Bowmans or Terry's who end up getting time by default.

If we end up with a couple of AHL prospects beyond ready, then we can make trades if need be.

Also, this year especially, guys like Roy, Saarela, Zykov, our new draft picks, etc. need 1-3 more years, maybe Aho too. That means this year we need to find pieces up front that are ready to go.

Absolutely.  For years I've made the point that due to our lack of depth we (and maybe even our coaches and GMs) have been forced to hope that some of our yute forwards would outperform what I'd consider "unbiased most realistic case expectations" in order for us to succeed .  I still think it's happening, even with some of what I'd consider "successes" like Rask and PDG.  I'd love to enter next season with Rask firmly ensconced as the 3rd line center and PDG as a 4th line wing because there were better players above them.  With either moving up if their play forced the issue due to continued advancement or as needed due to injury.  

In the end if our depth pushes, say PDG to the 4th line, that's not a terrible thing. A Malone or other 4th liner might sit in the press box for a while, but the team is stronger, and a PDG will still get chances in the top 9 w/ injuries or underperformances.

This is the exact point I made a month or more ago, but regarding Aho. If he earns a roster spot, I said, make it the fourth line, so he gets fewer minutes, and can acclimate gradually, with looks on the PP. At the time you criticized that idea as "holding back talent" or going against some statement RF made about not putting highly skilled guys on the fourth line. But as your depth improves, of course your fourth liners are going to be better than they were when such depth didn't exist. 

The number of games others are throwing out is relative; yes, Aho's played over 70 games including the playoffs and tournaments--but here you play 82 NOT including those things. Make a deep playoff run on this side of the pond and you can easily play over 100 games, NOT including tournaments.  

You can't deny one guy who has been effective at this level the slot he has earned, then turn around and hand that slot to someone who hasn't earned it--not, at least, if the organization is serious about having prospects compete for slots based on merit. Yet you're okay with dropping PDG to the fourth, someone whose performance last year clearly earned him the third-line slot on the pre-camp depth chart. 

If the organization is serious about guys earning their spots, the first step is slotting guys on the depth chart based on what they've done on NHL ice, no? Of course it is. Aho will earn his spot, I have no doubt about it. But leapfrogging him on the depth chart over guys who have already played the NHL game - before camp even begins - is the opposite of the merit-based approach the org has been preaching since RF took the reins, IMO. 

What Aho has done overseas has been nothing short of spectacular, I agree with that 100 percent. But when he - or any other prospect - joins this org, they should have to distinguish themselves again, and should expect to do so year after year, camp after camp. Doing anything less is how you get guys who rest on their laurels, instead of constantly striving to achieve more.

Edited by top-shelf-1

One of the first things Ron Francis said when he took over - he is not going to develop his skilled players, particularly our young players and prospects on the fourth line.  That didn't happen last year, so he was true to his statement.  The guys he put their out of Charlotte for the most part weren't skilled players.

If it means Charlotte for Aho, that would mean he's not ready based on camp or we've acquired some guys and there's no room.  I wouldn't presume to go against the development model RF has put in place. As we saw last year, depth charts can change quickly.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Nice! Thanks Coastal. Really good. First he pickpockets the puck, then a heck of a high skill shot, top shelf just inside the pipe.

I think Hanifin had a goal yesterday too.

Edited by remkin