The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2016 IIHF World Championship

I am surprised the US seems to be struggling.  I thought they had a decent lineup, played Canada strong for almost two periods.  Including exhibition they're 1-3.  Somewhere Faulk is laughing.  Also, Some of the teams in this tourney shouldn't be in it.  France, Latvia, Belarus, Hungary, Norway etc.  Its their right mind you so if they are good with getting crushed so be it.  Canada beating Hungary 8-0? Yawn...

Finland sure looks like the real deal.  Russia not overly impressing.  Maybe they need Putin in the lineup showing off his "awesome skills" by scoring his usual 8 goals while low fiving since he's only 5'7"...

Edited by raleighcaniac

The US doesn't look that great, to be sure.  One thing's for sure, Matthews hasn't looked like the generational talent i'd been hearing he was.  Though for that matter neither has Hanifin.  He lost the battle on the second goal today as well, though it wasn't to Aho that time.  Honestly i'm noticing Warsofsky and Vatrano more than either of them in the game and a half i've watched.  Hard to miss Aho out there.  Same can be said of Laine, though unfortunately for him half the cases where you really noticed him were for mistakes.  He'll learn from them and get better, of course, but man, from what i'm seeing so far Aho's at the same level as these two fighting to be the #1 pick.  I won't weigh in on the 'ready or not' debate, but he's definitely making another case for himself.  He's a keeper.

You gotta be kidding me.  US just lost to Slovakia 3-2 who is below the US in the standings.  Call it a day and come home.  Our guys folded like a lawn chair this year...USA Hockey needs to look long and hard at this collapse.  Simply put the US has more talent than this dismal tourney result. No matter that there are Americans still playing in the NHL playoffs, so are other players from competing countries.

USA Hockey has just a few months to get this sorted out before the World Cup of Hockey tourney in Toronto this September.  This tourney will be Yuuge. Thats not the stage to get beat down on unlike the one in going in Russia right now where hardly anyone is paying attention in the US.  Is the depth of US Hockey not as deep as everyone wants to believe?

Edited by raleighcaniac

You gotta be kidding me.  US just lost to Slovakia 3-2 who is below the US in the standings.  Call it a day and come home.  Our guys folded like a lawn chair this year...USA Hockey needs to look long and hard at this collapse.  Simply put the US has more talent than this dismal tourney result. No matter that there are Americans still playing in the NHL playoffs, so are other players from competing countries.

USA Hockey has just a few months to get this sorted out before the World Cup of Hockey tourney in Toronto this September.  This tourney will be Yuuge. Thats not the stage to get beat down on unlike the one in going in Russia right now where hardly anyone is paying attention in the US.  Is the depth of US Hockey not as deep as everyone wants to believe?

http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/teams/#USA

More talent than the result? Even the NHL veterans aren't the guys you'd think of first for a World Championship team - Matt Hendricks? Nick Foligno? Patrick Maroon? There are five college players on Team USA, as well, and two others have all of one game of NHL experience each (Santini and M. Wood). Mr. Sure-No.-1-Draft-Pick Auston Matthews ain't exactly torching the competition, either. The goalies include a kid from Boston College and two guys with combined NHL experience of less than 100 games.

Putting a lineup like that out against the Finns - with a more mature and experienced D (two of eight D-men are younger than 26) and a nice mix of forwards (kids like Laine, Aho, Barkov, even Granlund with Mikko Koivu, Jokinen, Leo Komarov) - is tough. Even teams like Slovakia have more veteran players - Sekera, for example, and a bunch of KHL veterans in their late 20s/early 30s - plus their young guys have some talent, like Marko Dano.

The Russians added Ovechkin and Kuznetsov to the team after the Caps lost in the SCP. Where are Kane, Parise, Stempniak, Okposo, the Gionta brothers, etc.? I know that Kessel, Pavelski, P. Stasny and Cullen aren't available 'cause their teams are still in the SCP.

IMO, it comes down to American players' motivation. I can't really blame NHL stars like Kane, etc. for wanting to take some time off after a long season and there's no way to force them to participate. After all, the World Championships (and even the World Cup of Hokey, as top referred to it) aren't as lucrative as winning Lord Stanley's Cup.

Edited by JonKerfoot

Very disappointing nonetheless that the hockey brain trust called USA Hockey could find no better than this squad especially so knowing we would be competing within Russia, where that little clown Putin will be laughing.  Our guys are in the tourney playoffs but for how long?  Psychologically this does not send a positive message to the worlds hockey countries that the US has any depth in their program given that this remains an International marquee event in the hockey world. 

Granted they both have much more behind them than just this tourney, Laine has certainly made him look like the #1.  Matthews, in the games i watched, was pretty much invisible.  I mean so was much of the rest of the team, but this was a great opportunity for him to shine despite the team around him.  I mean, that's pretty much what a first-overall pick has to do when he gets to the show, yes?

http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/teams/#USA

More talent than the result? Even the NHL veterans aren't the guys you'd think of first for a World Championship team - Matt Hendricks? Nick Foligno? Patrick Maroon? There are five college players on Team USA, as well, and two others have all of one game of NHL experience each (Santini and M. Wood). Mr. Sure-No.-1-Draft-Pick Auston Matthews ain't exactly torching the competition, either. The goalies include a kid from Boston College and two guys with combined NHL experience of less than 100 games.

Putting a lineup like that out against the Finns - with a more mature and experienced D (two of eight D-men are younger than 26) and a nice mix of forwards (kids like Laine, Aho, Barkov, even Granlund with Mikko Koivu, Jokinen, Leo Komarov) - is tough. Even teams like Slovakia have more veteran players - Sekera, for example, and a bunch of KHL veterans in their late 20s/early 30s - plus their young guys have some talent, like Marko Dano.

The Russians added Ovechkin and Kuznetsov to the team after the Caps lost in the SCP. Where are Kane, Parise, Stempniak, Okposo, the Gionta brothers, etc.? I know that Kessel, Pavelski, P. Stasny and Cullen aren't available 'cause their teams are still in the SCP.

IMO, it comes down to American players' motivation. I can't really blame NHL stars like Kane, etc. for wanting to take some time off after a long season and there's no way to force them to participate. After all, the World Championships (and even the World Cup of Hokey, as top referred to it) aren't as lucrative as winning Lord Stanley's Cup.

Thank you.  I can see questioning how USA Hockey built the team, but man, the results from the US squad really didn't surprise me, considering.

Team USA took a knife to a gun fight, but all they had was a drawer full of knives.

I think players from smaller countries take more pride in these types of competitions and make more of an effort to play. Guys from big places like the USA tend to think they aren't needed as much since there are so many available players. After a season of playing NHL hockey, I can see wanting to rest and mend a bit.

Edited by super_dave_1

WOW!  Nice United States OT win over the Czechs in the playoffs.  Austin Mathews buried a great OT shot.  This is a big upset of a heavily favored Czech squad.  Nice going boys!  They will either play Canada or the Swedes next.

Edited by raleighcaniac

WOW!  Nice United States OT win over the Czechs in the playoffs.  Austin Mathews buried a great OT shot.  This is a big upset of a heavily favored Czech squad.  Nice going boys!  They will either play Canada or the Swedes next.

Just goes to show - you never know what will happen in a single game. Matthews stands up and scores both goals, D and Kinkaid play well behind the forwards....

Go USA!

Well well well...Looks like Canada found their game again destroying Sweden 6-0.  Set up a Canada/US rematch.  Should be fun.

Canada was first in scoring with 40 goals, 1st on the PK, 2nd in GA, 1st in lowest GAA, 5th on the PP.  Their only negative was they took the most penalties.

US was 6th in scoring with 24 goals, 4th on the PK, 10th in GA, 5th in lowest GAA, 7th on the PP.

I'm guessing a 4-1 Canada win when they play again.

Edited by raleighcaniac