The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Gordie Howe dead at 88

NHL

Howe and his sons signed with the New England Whalers in 1977 and played two seasons there in the WHA. In 1979, Howe returned to the NHL as a member of the Hartford Whalers along with his son, Mark. Howe played in the 1980 All-Star Game, which was held in Detroit, and received a thunderous ovation from the crowd.

I feel privileged that I got see Gordie Howe play as his career with the Red Wings was winding down.

Canada had better give him a state funeral!  There will NEVER be another player like him...players in the league today with talent like he had are prima donnas and crybabies and believe their clippings.

RIP, Mr. Hockey.

I am sad that I became a fan after his career was over - I never saw him play. Guess Youtube video clips are all I have left.

Funny Gordie Howe-related family story. Not sure how true it is - my dad was quite a joker - but I can imagine it happening just as he said:

When I was a junior in high school, my family relocated to Port Huron, MI. At some point while we lived there, my dad (then in his early 50s) was admitted to the hospital for a couple of days. When he got home, he told the story of how one of the nurses saw him and got all excited and flustered because she thought Gordie Howe was one of her patients.

I wish I had a picture of my dad from that time - though the resemblance was faint, his nose was similar to Gordie's and had gray hair similar to Gordie's.

I remember taking the bus to the Olympia to watch games. Six team league, but each team had great players that you loved to see play. Always listened on the radio for away games. Toronto and Montreal were the focus, Chicago got some attention, New York and Boston not so much until that Orr kid showed up.Looking back on it now, I think you could have bought a team for about what we paid one our recently departed players. 

Edited by winger52

RIP Mr. Hockey. Given there was a Howe connection with the franchise and RF's nice remarks today, it would be a great tribute if the Canes would wear some sort of Number 9 shoulder patch this season maybe with a subtle Whalers logo included in the design.

RIP Mr. Hockey. Given there was a Howe connection with the franchise and RF's nice remarks today, it would be a great tribute if the Canes would wear some sort of Number 9 shoulder patch this season maybe with a subtle Whalers logo included in the design.

do know if is possible for the league to retire his number

do know if is possible for the league to retire his number

Interesting point.  I personally thought it was silly for the league to retire Gretzky's number, but it can certainly be argued that if Gretzky's was important enough to be retired, Howe's was as well.

Interesting thought.

I remember hearing his name a lot as a kid, when I watched the Blackhawks on TV.  But that's all I remember of the man.

In recent years, I heard about the way he and his son were caring for his wife Coleen, who had Pick's disease.   Gordie became a proponent for efforts to tackle this disease and related issues like Alzheimers.

You never heard anything bad about the guy.  Chuck Kaiton this morning affirmed what Doc Emerick said last night: Gordie was kind and patient with the fans, and always signed autographs for real.  No useless scribble like some of todays "stars."

Please don't take this the wrong way now, but one thing I'll always remember him for was that in his passing, he gave one final shot to an opponent, in this case the Penguins,and stole a bit of their thunder.   And maybe that is fitting, because in the end, sports is about winning, but the world is bigger than sports.  Some of our heroes get a bit too full of themselves.  

From all accounts, Gordie didn't.  We need more Gordies.

Edited by wxray1

Some of our heroes get a bit too full of themselves.  

Yep...and they're wearing Penguins/Blackhawks/Capitals/Leafs/Habs jerseys...