The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac6

Congtats, JR

JR NHL GM Of the Year. Despite some rather dubious moves, he did put together a Stanley Cup winner for us. He should have been GM of the Year in 2006, as well. I will always be grateful for the job he did in 2005 - 06, and I am glad for his success.

After the mess he left us in, I am not the least bit happy for him...but I'm one of the bitter ones.

I wasn't going to be the one to say it.  The fact he went off to another team to win the Cup while this team was still handcuffed by stupid contracts he signed people to utterly annoys me.  The fact it was with freaking Pittsburgh multiplies that annoyance times ten.  I'm happy for him for one reason, though - he's not here anymore.

I already said it elsewhere, it ought to be a conflict of interest to trade away 3 assets to another team, then go GM them.
Perhaps this should have been a factor in the accolades.  You can't really make such a policy, but you could at least not glorify it. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/how-jim-rutherford-is-benefiting-from-trade-he-made-2-years-before-he-was-penguins-gm/

As a result of that trade today, they have Dumoulin, Nick Bonino, Pouliot and a 2016 second-round draft pick. That has turned out to be a huge haul.
Hagelin is also a branch in that trade chain because of Clendening being a throw-in to that trade (remember: Clendening was acquired as part of the Bonino-Sutter trade). Basically, it put a lot of wheels in motion for several moves that have transformed the Penguins lineup.

Include me in the "demur" column. 

Going to a market with the ability to buy a Cup and then going out and doing it does not impress me. The only kudos he deserves is for knowing when to change coaches.

2006 had a WHOLE lot more to do with Roddy's hunger and ability to fire up the room than it did with James Rutherford.

I'll say this. JR had good qualities and bad ones. He was adept at finding talent with a small budget. He made some slick  moves here: one of the best was getting Sekera for Jamie McBain and a second rounder. Somehow McBain still plays some NHL games, but really that was a steal that eventually terminated with us getting McKeown AND this year's #21 pick.

But JR also allowed his stars to get big fat contracts at young ages, and gave them total trade veto to boot, and then gave the ultimate slouch in "he who shall not be named-ski" a huge contract we are still paying to this day. He allowed a culture that let certain guys get special treatment and feel just a bit too comfortable.

So why am I more willing to smile in JR's direction? Because I really think that a very sharp understudy learned a lot from JR. Both the art of deals like the one for Versteeg, and the one for TT, AND the danger of the big contract with full on NTC's, and the danger of having guys who are above it all. He showed that by allowing the benching of Semin, and eventually with the trade of Eric.

So, while the J. Staal trade can be debated (we gave up too much, but what J is now bringing, could help swing that back a bit), the lessons in the good JR and the bad JR have been imprinted on our new GM, who is using that to do great things.

Edited by remkin

So, while the J. Staal trade can be debated (we gave up too much, but what J is now bringing, could help swing that back a bit)...

I don't think that trade will ever be tolerable to me. It was made just before the lockout. The owners knew they were going to play hardball and were going to write off half a season. Knowing that, JR made a move for half a season of JStaal, when he was going to be an unrestricted free agent the next summer. He could have waited and signed him then if J seriously wanted to come to Raleigh and play with big brother. No matter how you look at the trade, he overpaid, and then went to Pittsburgh to reap the benefits.

He GM'd them to a Cup, but that organizational depth has been gutted and before long, they will be hurting too.

But the one thing that really has me on the "screw JR" bandwagon: I KNOW he was the one who ripped the C off of Rod's jersey and gave it to Eric when he wasn't ready for it (or deserved it, IMO).

Well I was really saying that the best thing JR did in recent years was show Francis what to do and what NOT to do.