The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

FREE AGENT TALK: 2016

Hey, I'm back! Remember? I quit on the team when management quit during the "playoff run"....anywho.....looks like I'll just peak in here and look.....yep, we signed absolutely nobody significant and now everybody significant is gone! Par for the course. See you in October for the beating! 

Nope, don't remember you.

I've always felt if we acquire a bigger name it'll be in a trade. Figure it'll eventually come. Our forward corps is thin on goalscorers.

You make a good point and I've wondered this myself, but if we trade anyone with value, we trade our valuable players.....Say you trade Skinner for a guy like Okposo (impossible now because he's gone...of course). You get roughly the same production but a different playing style...what's the point? Now, say you add a guy like Okposo through free agency....and don't forget we acquired Teravainen....much better situation. We started the day over $24 million under the cap and Terav is not the saviour of this club, or any club. You have to spend money to make money. My point is that almost any trades will result in trading across a good player for a good player and we aren't ahead. Maybe someone will want to dump a salary but most clubs did this to acquire new players and aren't hurting like they were. And then we pick a Dman first in the draft again....holy smokes.....  

I'm thinking we cough up a pick or two of next year's draft (we have 10 currently) and a d prospect or two and you may be able to get something without giving up any offense back. Targeting cap strapped teams that is.

It is interesting considering we under the cap floor still by like 6.5m Things will be more clear after our qualified players sign, specifically Rask.

The only way our 13th pick going to another D helps is if we use that abundance in good blue chip defense prospects to get an offensive one, hopefully more developed than not.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Nash vs. Stalberg

And more speed with Stalberg, which we know the Canes really value.  But then in the other direction you've got age (generally, scoring declines start in the upper 20s) and as I mentioned, positional flexibility, which I think would be pretty important for a depth guy.  

Maybe GMRF will offer insight at 3 pm.  My guess is size, speed, and depth, plus he's won a Cup. :)  

You make a good point and I've wondered this myself, but if we trade anyone with value, we trade our valuable players.....Say you trade Skinner for a guy like Okposo (impossible now because he's gone...of course). You get roughly the same production but a different playing style...what's the point? Now, say you add a guy like Okposo through free agency....and don't forget we acquired Teravainen....much better situation. We started the day over $24 million under the cap and Terav is not the saviour of this club, or any club. You have to spend money to make money. My point is that almost any trades will result in trading across a good player for a good player and we aren't ahead. Maybe someone will want to dump a salary but most clubs did this to acquire new players and aren't hurting like they were. And then we pick a Dman first in the draft again....holy smokes.....

Seriously Blue Devil one account per person. You two are on the same page (not my page though)

I'm thinking we cough up a pick or two of next year's draft (we have 10 currently) and a d prospect or two and you may be able to get something without giving up any offense back. Targeting cap strapped teams that is.

It is interesting considering we under the cap floor still by like 6.5m Things will be more clear after our qualified players sign, specifically Rask.

Possible and I hope you're right. Rask is a "must sign" in my book.

Possible and I hope you're right. Rask is a "must sign" in my book.

No way we don't. Currently penciled as first or second line center. We can't rely on hoping our current forward corps can score goals suddenly.

We got our top 6 forward in Stempniak. 2 years.

Well, one time. Still, he would slot into our top 6, and a desperately needed RW. He's been moved mid season a lot. Would've preferred more established scorer, rather than a skilled two way winger, but he will bring offense nonetheless. Still hoping on a move to bring in a real top 6 winger. Stempniak is really a third liner capable of slotting up.

Stempniak has upside. Not a big guy. Ironically he was one of my hopes at a lower level the last time he was out there. Did put up 50 points last year.

Gets the job done though.

This gives us a shot this year.

Need some uptick from Lindy and Rask and TT (all of which could or even should happen) and a good showing by Aho, but if we get that, we're in the picture, and still have all of our assets for a bigger move in the future.

Edited by remkin

50 point guy for 2.5 AAV. That's a deal!

Good price but his goal production over the last four years is: 9,12,15, 19....and he's 33yo. At least it's a short deal and he's mostly a "plus" player. Should fit in somewhere. Better....but still waiting for "the guy", if he's out there! :) 

Not complaining on Stempniak, he's very durable for a 33-year old and is a consistent producer, even if he only brings 40-50 points.

If nothing else, these two signings push Bickell to the 13th forward, which is an upgrade in and of itself.

Edited by coastal_caniac