The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

FREE AGENT TALK: 2016

With so many teams up against the cap, I wouldn't be surprised if GMRF made a run at some RFA, and makes an offer he knows the other team will have problems matching.

TB - Kucherov  offer our 1st & NYR 2nd then sign for 7 years at 6M...he is 23yo with 2 years over 60pts with 29G, & 30G. Boom there is your 1 line RW.

With so many teams up against the cap, I wouldn't be surprised if GMRF made a run at some RFA, and makes an offer he knows the other team will have problems matching.

I would say we will make a trade with another team. I still go back to the Wild. They still need a forward, re-sign their back up RFA goalie and re-sign Dumba.

GMRF has to make a move or two to get to the floor. We need to be much better.

One of those moves has to be for a defender we can expose.

Edited by gocanes0506

Well, now all the dust seems to be settling from the '16 NHL version of the Opening Day of fishing season, better referred to as the feeding frenzy of Day 1 Free Agency. Knowing we have NEVER, to my knowledge been a major player at  this annual fiasco, nor to my sane mind do I think we can either afford to, as a low budget team, or should, I don't know why I annually am captivated and drawn into it?

This year, I guess what was so enticing was the Quick Strike we saw RF perform, landing TT and Bickell early, combined with the knowledge that we appeared to be positioned to be "wheeler-dealers", having just offloaded 2 loadstones that had compromised the team going forward since probably the cup run!

Well, color me fooled, AGAIN. I guess what I either forgot, or ignored was the obvious fact that our esteemed owner is, and has been in the throes of selling his team, and I suppose that the more economical the budget of the Canes appears, the more attractive it appears to a buyer(s)? Oh how I for once envy Buffalo(I know, I know saying that makes me want to puke}, and the deep pockets of their owner? Just think if RF and this team had that, how much further along we'd be, not to engage in stupid contracts, but to have the where with all to at least consider no mountain too tall to scale?

So I guess we collectively sit back, watch how much Rask will be signed for to actually get the team to the cap floor, and hold our breath for the hockey god winds to shake free some opportune player from a tree of one of the few cap strapped teams!! Oh Happy Days.

I think the next move is to sign Rask and see how much money we have left before we make a move. When I refer to money left I'm not referencing the CAP ceiling but PKs  internal budget.

I do think we will make another move before the season.

TB - Kucherov  offer our 1st & NYR 2nd then sign for 7 years at 6M...he is 23yo with 2 years over 60pts with 29G, & 30G. Boom there is your 1 line RW.

No offense, but you are dreaming if you think Kucherov can be had for a first and second. Not a chance he's that cheap. It would take a Hanifin++ to get him.

I think our moves have more to do with expansion. Our options will be much better next off-season, and thanks to the road RF took now, the money to capitalize will still be there. I do get the disappointment; I too was hoping for big things, and maybe more moves happen. But I doubt they will be big, in terms of adding to our payroll. I also agree it needs to be on D, again, thanks to expansion. 

With the forward corps, it's helpful to think about the realities RF faced that are beyond his control:

- RWs are in high demand.

- Few are available.

- So, those most desired call the shots.

- Players with NMCs MUST be protected for expansion. 

So: You're one of those highly desired guys. What are you demanding, to avoid packing up and moving in two consecutive seasons? That's right, an NMC.

Let's say RF went ahead and agreed to an NMC and signed one of those guys anyway.

But let's also assume that our maturing but still young core takes the strides we're all expecting it to this season. Thanks to that REQUIREMENT of keeping your new, high-dollar, NMC guy, you now have some tough decisions. Which of these seven do you leave unprotected for expansion?

Staal

Skinner

TT

Rask

Lindholm

Nordy

PDG 

Because you can only keep seven forwards, and your NMC FA must, under the rules, be one of them.

What RF did yesterday (1) ensures we can keep that young core; (2) gives us experienced guys who, if our yutes step up, can significantly help get us to the dance; and (3) ensures we'll have the money next year to commit to a long-term, top-six guy who, along with that young core, keeps us competitive for years, while the picks in the system mature.

In short, RF just assured we can get the guy we really want--when the circumstances for doing so are much more favorable, and when the org, through getting into the dance and building the system, is more attractive to FAs.

Edited by top-shelf-1

As far as "win now" Ronnie didn't do much BUT I think he is on the right path of building the back end.  We don't just want to challenge now but also have a group in the minors waiting for their turn.  I like what he has done.  A lot of stupid $$$ were spent yesterday for a lot of stupid years (sorta).  Glad we didn't get caught up with that.

I believe that if we have 1 more mediocre season then this team will be way more likely to relocate. I don't think this team has what it takes to get it to the playoffs as is. There are just too few scoring forwards and too many "if people play like so and so due to progression."

It seems like I've heard exactly this for the past 7 years. The moves were better than nothing but I dont think it's enough.

Edited by bluedevil58

Unless he snags one or two of the remaining fish, get ready for another long season guys.

Obviously, Pitt and Craps aren't going anywhere in the division...NYR will take a slight step backwards this season (IMO)...Isles are about to take a decent slide, and Shero just went and robbed Edmonton.  We MIGHT be in the mix for a wild card slot if the Northeast sucks (which, other than Tampa. Detroit, and maybe the SwampCats, I just don't see any other team that's going to be decent) the way I think they will.

I believe Ronnie did the right thing in not chasing the high dollar talent as the asking price was way to much for their actual talent level.On the tier 2 level the only two exceptions IMO were Troy Brouwer age 30 40 pt contributor who signed for 4yrs and 18 mil and Mikkel Boedker age 27 50 pt contributor who signed 4 yrs and 16 mil. Perhaps we chased them but I hope the dollar level was not the deciding factor for PK/RF. At some point we are going to need to offer more than 2yr/3yr contracts to entice talent to come into the organization. 4 years and  4 mil for a 27 year old 50 point producer is not to high in my opinion. I agree we need to protect the youth, but on the other hand it is a crap shoot that they will develop into what we think their capabilities are. We need to blend the youth with experienced  and proven NHL talent. As always we do not know what dollar figure PK's cap  is at, but I'd be concerned if 4 years at 16 mil is out of the question. 

It seems like I've heard exactly this for the past 7 years. The moves were better than nothing but I dont think it's enough.

No you haven't. In the five years prior to these last two, we did nothing even close to what Ronnie has done the past two - now three - summers. The average age of our top six is much lower. The speed we now have up front is ridiculous. The back end is more solid than in any of those five years BR (before Ron).

You can choose to see it as more of the same, that's you're prerogative. But the reality is that it's not, and that rebuilding the mess JR left in his wake was never going to happen overnight. Throw expansion into that mix, and it gets even harder. You don't have to like it, but I can't agree with faulting RF for it. 

Unless he snags one or two of the remaining fish, get ready for another long season guys.

I think you and BD58 should start fishing together.

Edited by top-shelf-1

No you haven't. In the five years prior to these last two, we did nothing even close to what Ronnie has done the past two - now three - summers. The average age of our top six is much lower. The speed we now have up front is ridiculous. The back end is more solid than in any of those five years BR (before Ron).

You can choose to see it as more of the same, that's you're prerogative. But the reality is that it's not, and that rebuilding the mess JR left in his wake was never going to happen overnight. Throw expansion into that mix, and it gets even harder. You don't have to like it, but I can't agree with faulting RF for it. 

I think you and BD58 should start fishing together.

I'll get in the boat with them. This franchise has to be hanging on to a thread. A couple more years of no playoffs and low attendence has to push over the edge. It is a good thing there are a lot of fans from other teams that have relocated to this area. Say what you want about Pens, Sabres, Caps and Bruin fans, but they buy tickets. Mabye this low total salary is in place so they don't lose too much on the exchange rate when they move to Quebec.

Sometimes I'd rather have this team move to wherever instead of constantly listening to people whine about it.

There's a silver lining in the events that have happened yesterday.  Was yesterday a little underwhelming? Yes.  Did we lose grounds on other teams? No not really.  You can't definitely tell me a team has passed us based on July 1.  There's should be a clear hierarchy in the East:

1. Washington

2. Tampa Bay

3. Florida

4. Pittsburgh

5. Rangers

6. Islanders/Red Wings

8. Boston/Flyers/Hurricanes/Devils

Sometimes I'd rather have this team move to wherever instead of constantly listening to people whine about it.

5. Rangers

6. Islanders/Red Wings

8. Boston/Flyers/Hurricanes/Devils

A-freakin'-men.

BTW, I would argue that we climbed into your 6 slot--and better yet, that nobody thinks we did.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don't think the Rangers did anything but be more dependent on Lundvquist to carry them through.  Their cap situation is terrible and they have no prospect depth.

They have digressed to the point if the above doesn't happen, I don't see them being better than the Canes on paper.

I also grow tired of the whiners - you can make your own thread about relocation, but how about stop coming around with all this crap in every post. 

I hope your boat sinks.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't think the Rangers did anything but be more dependent on Lundvquist to carry them through.  Their cap situation is terrible and they have no prospect depth.

They have digressed to the point if the above doesn't happen, I don't see them being better than the Canes on paper.

I also grow tired of the whiners - you can make your own thread about relocation, but how about stop coming around with all this crap in every post. 

You beat me to it. The Rags are going to be much worse--and if everything goes just right, certifiably brutal. 

I'll get in the boat with them. This franchise has to be hanging on to a thread. A couple more years of no playoffs and low attendence has to push over the edge. It is a good thing there are a lot of fans from other teams that have relocated to this area. Say what you want about Pens, Sabres, Caps and Bruin fans, but they buy tickets. Mabye this low total salary is in place so they don't lose too much on the exchange rate when they move to Quebec.

I'm in that boat as well. Although I'm glad we didn't grossly overpay for those top free agents. We need top line help thru a trade and sign a defender 2-4 years that can be exposed in the expansion draft. If we don't make those moves we are setting the franchise up to move. Arizona and Florida should move first but Florida is successful during the regular season lately. They will keep Arizona there to see if this Vegas team builds some rivalry and increased interest in their market.

Well coastal and top, count me in on your side of the black cloud. Even though you'll hear me whine from time to time on here, my angst usually is  directed more at the dirth of news or league wide publicity this team suffers under, rather the seemingly constant negativity some endlessly spew, no matter what the topics are. Reminds me of my father-in-law who has been living with wife and I for at least 4 years. Talk about a "stone face", if I ever saw him smile, I think I'd pass out.

Now about their "boat sinking", I'd not go that far, but I do wish they'd find another harbor in which to anchor, and enjoy the company with fellow revelers of pessimism. We could name it Whiners United Club or WAC for short.

Edited by KJUNKANE

To the nay-sayers.  What big deal with a big name player was signed yesterday do you think would have been a good contract (dollars and term) for the Canes to take on?  Assume they all have NTC's when doing this. 

Go on, I'm waiting.

Nobody on here can change my stance I heard for 3 years that this was the year RF was going to work magic and we go out and sign a low tier top 6 forward and a 4th liner after major contracts now off the book.

You say it will be great 3-4 from now with all these load contracts. That's fine ane dandy if we still have a team then. Go ahead and call me a whiner. This team maybe has 1 true top 6 forward. How many teame make the playoffs with 1 top 6 forward?

Once again we find ourselves looking into the next season with a lot of this and that needs to happen and we will make the playoffs. That hasn't worked in 7 years. Until this team is committed to winning now I will not spend a dime going to watch them play because there is nobody on our team that is worth the price of admission.

Here is to Aho being our savior and filling the top 6 void this season due to management once again being total cheap skates. Enjoy the empty stadium guys!

Nobody on here can change my stance...

We already knew that, but thanks for confirming.

You always toss out words like "savior" to suggest that OTHERS have made claims they haven't. You also suggest that OTHERS share the same unrealistic expectations you do, when anybody paying attention could see from the moment RF took over that that fixing JR's mess wasn't going to be a one or two-year project.

Which prompts the question: Why don't you pay better attention?

Now about their "boat sinking", I'd not go that far, but I do wish they'd find another harbor in which to anchor, and enjoy the company with fellow revelers of pessimism. We could name it Whiners United Club or WAC for short.

There is another harbor, but they wont use it [mods].

Relocation talk can be found here:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/23562-pk-lawsuit-and-relocation-rumors-what-does-it-mean-for-the-hurricanes/

We already knew that, but thanks for confirming.

You always toss out words like "savior" to suggest that OTHERS have made claims they haven't. You also suggest that OTHERS share the same unrealistic expectations you do, when anybody paying attention could see from the moment RF took over that that fixing JR's mess wasn't going to be a one or two-year project.

Which prompts the question: Why don't you pay better attention?

Don't worry, he will change his mind at least a dozen times before the season starts.