The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

FREE AGENT TALK: 2016

So I just made up things like:

If Lindholm Progresses

If Nesty recovers.

If Rask can put up 1C numbers.

If TT can get 40 points (which he has yet to do)

If Aho can score at least 35 ppints.

If Ward stays consistent/has a good start.

If Lack can get back on track.

If our young defenae doesn't regress.

You all are right. I clearly don't pay attention and have made all of what I have read on here up. Sorry for being realistic and not a blind optimist.

If Lindholm Progresses

If Nesty recovers.

You all are right. I clearly don't pay attention and have made all of what I have read on here up. Sorry for being realistic and not a blind optimist.

Every team in the league is in this same boat.

To the nay-sayers.  What big deal with a big name player was signed yesterday do you think would have been a good contract (dollars and term) for the Canes to take on?  Assume they all have NTC's when doing this. 

Go on, I'm waiting.

Boedker.

Now, about the attacks on the "nay sayers."  Enough already.  We all have opinions here: some are cloudier, some are more sunshine.  I'm one of the middle guys.  But the level of one vs. the other I have seen in the past few months has gotten ridiculous.

Boedker.

Now, about the attacks on the "nay sayers."  Enough already.  We all have opinions here: some are cloudier, some are more sunshine.  I'm one of the middle guys.  But the level of one vs. the other I have seen in the past few months has gotten ridiculous.

So my disagreement is now an attack?

080.jpg

Not butt hurt. I'm concerned we only have 1 maybe 2 top 6 forwards. Nobody makes the playoffs with that. I think for too long we have suckee and our expectations have lowered in terms of what a true top 6 line should look like.

Laugh all you want. I will enjoy telling you I told you so when we miss the playoffs once again. Like I said, this year was different and all of us said this year was the true year to see what RF was all about with Eric and Cam went off the books.

First of all, we're not even to the preseason, for Gawd's sake. There's time to get stuff done. The only reason to get in on the UFA feeding frenzy is to overspend on whoever happens to be on the market. Why bother? And why agonize over one day out of 365 in a year?

Second, to be honest, I don't really care if the Hurricanes make the playoffs next season. I'm sure it would be better for them to make than miss, but for me that's not a reason to follow or not follow them. I live in OK, so I could just as easily be a Stars fan, and they're a heck of a lot more successful. I'm not gonna get to either Hurricanes or Stars games due to geography, so that isn't a great influence on which teams I follow.

If you go around telling the forum "I told you so," nobody will be listening anyway.

To the nay-sayers.  What big deal with a big name player was signed yesterday do you think would have been a good contract (dollars and term) for the Canes to take on?  Assume they all have NTC's when doing this. 

Go on, I'm waiting.

Boedker.

Yeah, Boedker seems like a pretty rational signing to me, as well.  50 pt scorer, one of the fastest skaters in the league, only 26yo so he's still likely on the upside of his production, and only 30yo when his 4 yr $16m contract expires (and I'm not seeing a NTC on it, either).  His possession numbers bother me some, but he was with a pretty poor team.  This is one I'd have to trust our scouting staff on determining if he'd have been a good fit here.

Although not a UFA, I'd have also gladly paid even a bit more than what it cost Calgary to get Brian Elliot. 

And I'd have loved to have been the team fleecing Edmonton for Hall, although I realize that we didn't have the parts that they were looking for (with the Wiz buyout, Faulk became untradeable even to my way of thinking).

In general, put me in the middle, as well. I'm glad we didn't do anything irrational that would hurt us down the line, but still hope that RF has something up his sleeve to get us another legitimate top 3 forward.

Yeah, Boedker seems like a pretty rational signing to me, as well.  50 pt scorer, one of the fastest skaters in the league, only 26yo so he's still likely on the upside of his production, and only 30yo when his 4 yr $16m contract expires (and I'm not seeing a NTC on it, either).  His possession numbers bother me some, but he was with a pretty poor team.  This is one I'd have to trust our scouting staff on determining if he'd have been a good fit here.

Although not a UFA, I'd have also gladly paid even a bit more than what it cost Calgary to get Brian Elliot. 

And I'd have loved to have been the team fleecing Edmonton for Hall, although I realize that we didn't have the parts that they were looking for (with the Wiz buyout, Faulk became untradeable even to my way of thinking).

In general, put me in the middle, as well. I'm glad we didn't do anything irrational that would hurt us down the line, but still hope that RF has something up his sleeve to get us another legitimate top 3 forward.

I'm in the same camp that Boedker was a reachable target but who knows all the details. Perhaps he had no interest in Carolina. The one guy I am still surprised at is Jiri Hudler who is still unsigned as far as I know. He appears that he would fit into our system really well. He is a smaller player but his size doesn't keep him from going to the net. Something we greatly need here. He digs pucks out of the corners and is a very good passer.He is also good on the power play and we know how much we need power play help. He is also a +43 in his caree,Stanley Cup winner and Lady Byng winner. Some highlights here . Oh yeah and enjoy the first goal against Carolina.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470201

Edited by slapshot02

Every team in the league is in this same boat.

DING!!!

BD, it's hockey. Anything can happen. I don't know about you, but that's why I like it so much. That said, the odds of GOOD things happening are greatly increased if you've got a variety of personnel, and if you don't spend money when the circumstances (read: expansion) dictate that you'd just be throwing it away. 

Again, not trying to change your stance. But if you have't read the rules for expansion, you don't understand that the top person you're oh so righteously upset about us not getting stood to become a real hindrance to continuing the rebuild.

You won't go to games? Fine. You're going to miss seeing the stages of growth. But seriously, what's to be gained by "calling out" guys like TT and Lindholm and Rask and Nesty, when they've had literally nothing to do with creating the need for the rebuild in the first place? Or calling out Ron, when he's being smart--instead of spending money like a drunken Rutherford?

Boedker.

You have no idea what Boedker would have demanded to come here. And while he scored 51 points last year, he was -33.

What we do know - because he said so himself - is he wants a Cup, and saw the Sharks as his best shot at getting one. 

If Lindholm Progresses

If Nesty recovers.

If the Canes move....

Just adding to what sounds to me like a blind pessimist argument.

Everyone has an opinion and a right to post it. I think the ignore feature still works.

Relocation talk is a reality. As tiresome as it can get it will pop up from time to time in most the threads we have. There is a relocation thread but it is difficult to keep it out of general discussion.

As far as free agent talk I think we are done at the big club level. I think we will make some moves but later on. RF can surprise so perhaps he makes another FA acquisition but that will surprise me. My money is on a trade.

If the Canes move....

Just adding to what sounds to me like a blind pessimist argument.

Heh! BD floated that one in a prior post, as he so regularly does.

uncle+sam+stop+whining.jpg

Well coastal and top, count me in on your side of the black cloud. Even though you'll hear me whine from time to time on here, my angst usually is  directed more at the dirth of news or league wide publicity this team suffers under, rather the seemingly constant negativity some endlessly spew, no matter what the topics are. Reminds me of my father-in-law who has been living with wife and I for at least 4 years. Talk about a "stone face", if I ever saw him smile, I think I'd pass out.

Now about their "boat sinking", I'd not go that far, but I do wish they'd find another harbor in which to anchor, and enjoy the company with fellow revelers of pessimism. We could name it Whiners United Club or WAC for short.

As one of the passengers in the boat, I am concerned about the long term future of the team. As a non traditional market, it has been shown that attendence is directly tied to success. No playoffs since 09, and mabye no playoffs for a couple more seasons, this team is in a precarious place. At some point, our young players are going to be UFAs, and they will leave for a successful team. I want the team to be successful. I want the stands to be full. I want the team to stay here. I would rather have it sooner than later. I have been a loyal fan for a long time, and I would like to see a good team on the ice. If that makes me a whiner, than, I'm a whiner. I certainly don't see expecting a playoff team more than once every 8 or 9 years as expecting too much.

JR left the cupboard bare here.  I'm not talking thin, I'm talking nothing.  Not only was the NHL team lacking, but there was no help coming up in the pipeline.  Even with the team missing the playoffs twice since JR left, I can see progress in the organization.   The NHL squad is closer to the playoffs now than when RF took over.  The prospect pool is much improved.  Yes it hurts when the team misses the playoffs year after year, but we are finally seeing the rebuild now that JR should have done years ago.  Add in the intricacies of the pending expansion draft, and I still think RF is sticking to the plan that he has, PBP is a part of, and PK committed to. 

This team is probably a playoff bubble team at the salary floor.  Boedker's deal may be the sole "bigger fish deal" out there that would have made sense, but the player still has to desire to come to the team.  I was hoping for Okposo, but there were questions there too, and the deal he signed was a huge commitment.  If you look at the anchor deals that the team just shed this year, I can understand the reluctance to step out on that limb for anything other than a sure thing.  Knowing how a player from the outside would come in, mesh with the team, and perform in a different environment is not a sure thing.

And OBXer, the ignore function isn't effective with quotes of posts.

Edited by super_dave_1

Everyone has an opinion and a right to post it. I think the ignore feature still works.

Relocation talk is a reality. As tiresome as it can get it will pop up from time to time in most the threads we have. There is a relocation thread but it is difficult to keep it out of general discussion.

As far as free agent talk I think we are done at the big club level. I think we will make some moves but later on. RF can surprise so perhaps he makes another FA acquisition but that will surprise me. My money is on a trade.

Relocation isn't a reality when it gets debunked every two months by our owner, GM, commissioner, and deputy commissioner. The only people talking about it are thirsty Canadians and paranoid fans. I'm tired of having this same conversation when there's plenty of actual hockey to discuss

Boedker.

Now, about the attacks on the "nay sayers." Enough already. We all have opinions here: some are cloudier, some are more sunshine. I'm one of the middle guys. But the level of one vs. the other I have seen in the past few months has gotten ridiculous.

It's been reported by Boedkker's agent that he turned down better offers. He wanted to sign with San Jose because he saw them as a legit Stanley Cup contender, which is understandable.

<snip>

Add in the intricacies of the pending expansion draft, and I still think RF is sticking to the plan that he has, PBP is a part of, and PK committed to. 

</snip>

Not only the expansion draft next year, super_dave - possible expansion to QC in 2018-19, and the CBA expires in 2019, I think it is, which is only three years away, which has to influence the course of negotiations on four-plus year deals. I know that if I were a UFA this year looking for a four-plus year term on a deal, I'd want the contract to be heavily front-loaded so that whatever happened in negotiations in 2019 didn't work against me.

At least the Canes former players are being resigned and not going to Europe like we have seen happen in the past. That's encouraging in an odd sort of way.

At Eric's return game against Carolina, one of the Rangers fans sitting next to me kept going on and on about how good Chris Terry is. Maybe other team fans see something we don't.

At Eric's return game against Carolina, one of the Rangers fans sitting next to me kept going on and on about how good Chris Terry is. Maybe other team fans see something we don't.

Well, the fans might have, but the Rangers obviously didn't. They had ample opportunity to get him way before Montreal did.  :lol:

Edited by JonKerfoot

It's been reported by Boedkker's agent that he turned down better offers. He wanted to sign with San Jose because he saw them as a legit Stanley Cup contender, which is understandable.

That would make sense...like Brian Campbell taking the discount to go back to Chicago

Relocation isn't a reality when it gets debunked every two months by our owner, GM, commissioner, and deputy commissioner. The only people talking about it are thirsty Canadians and paranoid fans. I'm tired of having this same conversation when there's plenty of actual hockey to discuss

I realize it's impossible to keep relocation from coming up, but it is annoying when people use it as a justification of an opinion.

Anyway, I also was surprised when didn't take a run at Boedker but it sounds like there was no chance, so that's good to hear - I guess.  I do think RF upgraded the team and made it speedier while gaining some size and veteran presence.  None of those are bad things.

It's anybody's guess at this point if this is enough to push us into the playoffs, but training camp doesn't start till September either.  Seems a little pointless to just give up now.