The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

FREE AGENT TALK: 2016

Try this:  http://kstp.com/sports/eric-staal-minnesota-wild-nhl/4191534/

It is 11 minutes long.  The one on the Wild site stinks and is a tiny excerpt of the above.

I think you really have to twist it to make it that he is slamming or being negative about the Canes.

What I hear here is someone:

a: trying to show he is a team player willing to do whatever the staff tells him to

b: theorizing that an O'minded coach will produce more goals than a D'minded coach (probably true)

c: acknowledging that Minn fans know the game well (and they do)

You can turn B and C around as slams on the Canes coaches/fans but what is he supposed to say?

Mostly he sounded pretty careful and humble to be honest, IMHO.  And I am a critic of him, at least the 9.5M a year version of him. 

Edited by hag65

I think you really have to twist it to make it that he is slamming or being negative about the Canes.

What I hear here is someone:

a: trying to show he is a team player willing to do whatever the staff tells him to

b: theorizing that an O'minded coach will produce more goals than a D'minded coach (probably true)

c: acknowledging that Minn fans know the game well (and they do)

You can turn B and C around as slams on the Canes coaches/fans but what is he supposed to say?

Mostly he sounded pretty careful and humble to be honest, IMHO.  And I am a critic of him, at least the 9.5M a year version of him. 

I pretty much agree.  My first take was negative, but I came around.  The guy has to look forward.  What is he supposed to say to make everything happy?  "Everything in Carolina was great, and it will be greater here!"  No, he cannot say that.  Even the implied diss of the fans is not a diss.  It is truth.  The Wild fans sell out crazy.  It was a morgue at RBC last year.

Now, if I were a Wild fan I'd be concern about his "hope."  I would *hope* he would be more assertive about his role.  Since he wants to be BMOC, act like it and assert that you are here to make a Cup run, not "hope" for good things.

But that's typical E.  We've seen it and know it, and it was one of his characteristics that soured many fans on his "C".

Hag, I agree that it's time to move on, but I think many Canes fans are...irked is a good word...irked that Staal would say anything about his falling offensive numbers that he didn't own for himself. See this quote

"So as his seven-year, $55.75 million contract expired, Staal was eager to join a winner. He cited player cost-cutting around him in Carolina as a reason for his waning goals and assists totals.

“In the cap world and the way the game is now, you need more. You need extra help, and sometimes it felt like they weren’t able to do some of those things,” Staal said on a conference call with Minnesota reporters. “It made it difficult. It started to wear.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/01/wild-sign-eric-staal/

It is what it is. Time to move on. He is dead on in one respect. It did make it difficult and started to wear.

A new era is upon us.

Hag, I agree that it's time to move on, but I think many Canes fans are...irked is a good word...irked that Staal would say anything about his falling offensive numbers that he didn't own for himself. See this quote

"So as his seven-year, $55.75 million contract expired, Staal was eager to join a winner. He cited player cost-cutting around him in Carolina as a reason for his waning goals and assists totals.

“In the cap world and the way the game is now, you need more. You need extra help, and sometimes it felt like they weren’t able to do some of those things,” Staal said on a conference call with Minnesota reporters. “It made it difficult. It started to wear.”

It is what it is. Time to move on. He is dead on in one respect. It did make it difficult and started to wear.

A new era is upon us.

I'd get tired of PK's cap too.  Oh, wait, but I'm part of the problem.  Never mind.

A new era is upon us.

I agree, that specific quote goes further and does shift the blame, and while I agree somewhat with what he is saying, I would like to see him take the blame for his own play.

I'm also moving on.   A part of me does still want to follow him though, just to prove to myself I saw what I saw.  His Rangers stint proved it to me so far.

That quote exactly sums up what happened here, and it's not Eric's fault nor his agent's. Neither was going to turn down that deal, and I wouldn't either. The careful financial stewardship of the organization with the future in mind was nobody's job but JR's, and he blew it. An org with a self-imposed cap cannot write contracts like the two this one gave Eric and Cam and still have the wherewithal to fill the remaining roster slots with much more than hope.

My hat is off to Eric for getting us to dance in '09, but I think once JR refused to re-sign Erik Cole, Eric Staal was, mentally at least, done. After that it was all gimmicks all the time, and there's a point at which even the best gimmicks can't attract fans to games where the outcome is nearly certain before the ink on the schedule has dried.  

My hat is off to Eric for getting us to dance in '09, but I think once JR refused to re-sign Erik Cole, Eric Staal was, mentally at least, done. After that it was all gimmicks all the time, and there's a point at which even the best gimmicks can't attract fans to games where the outcome is nearly certain before the ink on the schedule has dried.  

+1.  Well said.  Kudos.  Back slap.  High five.  What he said.