The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Once again, the talking heads are leaving Rod out of the HOF debate...

Source:

https://www.nhl.com/news/six-who-could-get-call-from-hall-of-fame/c-281037940

Really?  You think Dave Andreychuk and Paul Kariya are better than Rod?  How many more Cups did Andreychuk win over Rod?  Did Kariya win two Selke Trophies?

It sickens me that the NHL powers-that-be are disrespecting Rod's career year after year...

Meanwhile, Eric Lindros makes it in...I guess being overhyped, but under-delivering, and allegedly sleeping with other players' wives is the way to make it into Toronto.

Well you can blame Ron Francis because he is now on the selection committee.

HIGHLY doubt he'd omit him from consideration...but probably shouted down is more likely ;)

There was a pretty good debate when the names were announced on the NHL Network.

They're biggest complaint is no transparency from the selection committee as far as how players are selected or considered.

They would have liked a selection similar to what the other leagues do. Start out with a preliminary list, then narrow it down before coming up with the 4.

Edited by hopper915

I get Lindross, I don't get Makarov nor Vachon. Any stories older members can regale us with?

Makarov had a great Russian career, I'm guessing he was one of the first to break the barrier. Vachon, I don't get him and I don't know where to start to understand why he's getting in.

Edited by legend-1

no transparency from the selection committee as far as how players are selected or considered.

See below quote.

Vachon, I don't get him and I don't know where to start to understand why he's getting in.

See first quote, above.

Seriously, I guess I'm an old-timer. I saw Vachon play and he was a very solid keeper, hugely popular, and his career highlights certainly warrant consideration. But there's a difference between consideration and induction, and I think hopper's quote above suggests what that difference might be. I'll just complete the suggestion: Vachon is Quebecois and 70 years old.

I think Brindy will get in, but it will take a couple of more years. The ones making the decisions usually take the stance that only the best of the best of the best get in immediately. The "compilers" (forgive me for that descriptor) usually take a bit of time. Brindy's stats are favorable to Lindros' stats, but Brindy retired in 2010 where Lindros retired in 2007. Brindy played in about 700 more games and had about 300 more pts. To me, Lindros getting in with his stats makes it look better for Brindy's chances in a year or two. All Lindros had was more hype coming into the league.

Edited by super_dave_1

Brindy will get in for nothing else than he overcame the extremely unfavorable conditions to win a cup in a non-traditional hockey market, which must mean he is a god to some folk.  I mean, do you know how many times he could have slipped in pork grease just walking through the parking lot into the arena?  That blonde kid with the banjo asking for autographs all the time.  Who could win in such an environment?  A god I tell you.  Straight from Mt Olympus.  He even looks like he fought a few rounds with Zeus.

Hag, you don't know how many times a board member and I have discussed putting in a few rows of corn in those concrete planting areas by the entrance. When I was a FTSTH, I was there enough to keep it up. Just standing there in my bib overalls with a hoe every game would have been worth it. I could have given banjo kid a run for his money.

banjoboy.gif

Hag, you don't know how many times a board member and I have discussed putting in a few rows of corn in those concrete planting areas by the entrance. When I was a FTSTH, I was there enough to keep it up. Just standing there in my bib overalls with a hoe every game would have been worth it. I could have given banjo kid a run for his money.

banjoboy.gif

And we could set up a still in the viaduct under Wade Avenue.  Perfect thing to use your corn for.

If you know hockey and watched Rod play night in night out you couldnt deny him as one of the games very best all around centers during long stretches in his carreer. 

Really, what was he not good at?

1) One of the best face-off men in the entire NHL when he wore skates.  So good he made it look easy.  Remember the parade of opposing team players that would "get booted" out of the circle just not to face him? 

2) Endless defense.  Never took a break or a shift off.  The other teams #1 was who he drew night in night out.  Ty Conklin voted for Roddy rumor has it on defense alone for the HOF.  :D People don't remember our Iron Man was first in shifts that game for us if I am correct.  I am sure someone can check that.  Hows that effort with 30 seconds left in regulation?

3) Underated passing.  Always one of the top players or top on his team in assists.  Had a knack for always making the 1 open pass to the 1 open guy.  Maybe not on ESPN highlight reel but rarely did he make a pass that didnt go to the best option open.  He MADE PLAYERS AROUND HIM BETTER.

4) Solid Scoring.  When the big game occurred he was there.  Blue collar you name it.  Not a 40 goal scoring guy, but you could always pencil him in for his.

5) Incredible durability.  Nuff said here.

6) Leader.  On the ice, in the practice rink, in training.  "C" for life.

Roddy was the prototypical Selke award nominee in my book.  He may not be flashy and stand at the blue line like Ovechkin waiting on a breakout pass while his teammates play defense but Roddy was exactly the type of guy any team that wins the cup must have.

I could go on and on.