The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Development Camp 2016

2016 development camp, to be held from July 6-9 at PNC Arena.

The prospects’ evening on-ice sessions on July 6 and 7, as well as the on-ice session at noon on July 9, will be open to the public.

The Hurricanes’ Prospects Development Camp will feature all nine members of the team’s 2016 draft class as well as other previously-drafted/acquired players and select invitees. The 27-player roster includes four goaltenders, eight defensemen and 15 forwards.

Roster

Aho won't be there but the rest of the young guns will be. We get to eyeball our latest draft picks.

In addition to Ned and Callum Booth, looks like we've got two young 6'3" goalies coming in with gaudy Juniors stats (.929 and .921).   Maybe one of these raffle tickets hits somewhere down the line? :crossfingers:

And I'll be really interested to get some feedback on Bean.  With Fleury and McKeown also in camp there should be a lot of competition on the blue line.

Edited by LakeLivin

Aho not there due to playing a lot and due to pretty much making the big club already.

Really interesting names on there that I want to see.

How notably better is Fleury? McKeown?

How does this Nicholas Roy that might be a late round steal look out there?

Warren Foelge looked kind of slick last year...like to see him play.

Zykov that we picked up in our trade w/ LA. (Versteeg).

Both first round picks from this year. Is Gauthier really looking NHL ready? How does Bean look?

Kuokannen? Really Aho part two?

Normally don't really watch the goalies unless they stand out, but really want to see Nedeljovic.

Nice having lots of good prospects...

Edited by remkin

Before arriving for the Hurricanes’ prospect development camp, which runs Wednesday to Saturday this week, the 18-year-old defenseman had never been in North Carolina.

The camp features all-day hockey immersion for each of its 27 invitees, culminating in Saturday’s scrimmage in front of a Summerfest crowd at PNC Arena.

Went to the on-ice session today.  Few tidbits:

Pretty big turn out.  Somewhere between 500-1000 people showed up.  Storm Squad was there, Concessions were opened.  Good vibes.

Sat high (mainly because I was too lazy to walk all the way down the steps), and the numbers were only on their helmets, so it was difficult at times figuring out who is who.  Ulf was on the ice, with the rest of our coaching staff.

Everyone looked a rusty.  Everyone.

One person you couldn't help but notice was Julien Gauthier.  He was the largest person on the ice, and whenever he makes the team, he will easily have the best shot.  It is fast and hard.  When he finds his target, there's nothing the goalie can do to stop it.  He was also paired with Nicolas Roy for most of the drills.

Speaking of goalies, I think they all started good, then faded as time went on.  

Fleury and McKeown were paired for all drills.  They were both a bit rusty.

Not saying Bean wasn't noticeable, but I didn't notice him.  Again, hard to look for as high up as I was.

PK,

Great stuff. I thank you for the observations. I personally love that kind of update on here. Love to hear more if you go again, or anyone else who goes.

Got me even more happy about Gauthier.

Thanks for posting your impressions of the on-ice session PK.  It looks like Canesvision is streaming the morning sessions.

The morning session, which begins at 10 a.m., will be streamed live on CarolinaHurricanes.com. The evening session, which again begins at 5:30 p.m., is open to the public.

Got to peek at the live stream this morning. I didn't watch closely enough to form many opinions but what I did notice isthe development camp seems to be all business this year, Gauthier is a big kid and some of these kids need a little conditioning because a few were sucking some serious air in between drills.

I find ice in Raleigh in July somehow refreshing even on a video stream.

I don't know who this guy is but here's a commentary on yesterday's on-ice session.

http://www.canescountry.com/2016/7/6/12111644/hopes-and-dreams-day-1-of-carolina-hurricanes-prospect-camp

Good stuff also. I've read that Not Opie guy before. Mostly pretty good takes.

Very interesting to see him specifically call out Foegele and Fleury and McKeown.

But most interesting was the accolades for Roy. That could be another reason for the lack of Nash love. The pick ups, but also that Roy could be knocking on the door, especially as the year goes on.

Edited by remkin

He's huge and he scores.  A lot.  Like 48 goals and 42 assists a lot in 63 games (improving from 16g and 34a in the previous season).  Go check out some highlights.  The guy has a world class shot, is an immovable object in front of the net, is a relentless forechecker and can set guys up just as well as putting in the net.

He was also a finalist for defensive forward of the year in the QMJHL and was the team captain.

I won't be able to see him until Saturday but the article I posted earlier indicates his skating and edge work is much better, which was something he needed to work on from what I saw in camp last year.

And remember, he was drafted in the fourth round.  Another steal?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Fleury looks so ready. I guess you have to wait until training camp but to me when he was on the ice he just looked head and shoulders above anyone else out there with him.

As a guy who quotes the numbers on the difficulty of drafting good players after the first round, and extreme difficulty of finding good players after the second round, I must say we have been on a bit of a roll with that, and it looks to be getting closer and closer to paying dividends.

Of course Roy has not played in 100 NHL games yet, and might not, but it sure looks like he will. We know Pesce and Slavin will.

I have read that around 12% of all picks round 3-7 combined, play >200 NHL games.

So finding a real, solid NHL player in rounds 3-7 happens on average once every 8 drafts.

The number for second rounders? 1/4.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

So, IF Roy hits, and we can assume that Slavin and Pesce do, that would be late round hits 2012, 2013, 2015. (Warren Foegele has a shot from 2014 too, but at this point Roy looks to be a better shot). Of course 2016 is way too early to tell, but hitting on 75% when the average is 12% is still pretty good, and it is already easy to see the dividends.

But we have been on a much more impressive tear of second rounders. This is a 1/4 chance. I've posted a version of this before, but going back and looking again it is pretty remarkable, so I will post separately on it.

Fleury looks so ready. I guess you have to wait until training camp but to me when he was on the ice he just looked head and shoulders above anyone else out there with him.

And this article sees your Fleury and raises a McKeown.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/07/08/prospects-fleury-mckeown-looking-to-crack-talented-young-carolina-blueline/?hl=1&noRedirect=1

Basically that both guys could be ready.

Murphy anyone?

Even with Wiz gone, we have:

Slavin

Pesce

Hanifin

Faulk

Hainsey

Murphy

then

McKeown and Fleury banging on the door.

Looking at that, we almost have to get Murphy into 35 (or whatever the number is) games, just so we can expose him for the expansion draft. It does make sense to sign a journeyman as a back up to expose to expansion, but how does that guy get into 40 games? Play 7 D alot?

Edited by remkin

I wasn't making a comparison and other have noted how well McKeown looks. After watching this mornings stream I was amazed how good Fluery looked.

A nice position for the Canes to be in.

Yeah, I was joking about the raising thing. The article suggests that both Fleury and McKeown are close to, if not ready.

wow, I thought those two would be in juniors or other countries or something for a couple years. Guess RF and BP think they are possibly ready this season for at least call ups and some looks.  Thats awesome. Our defensive depth is ridiculous, we are gonna have to use a couple of them to make a move for a Forward soon.  I mean there is a chance we could have 9 D guys ready for NHL this year and next, and not just ready but really good. Gonna be hard to pick which one(s) to give up(Murphy obvious choice but not much return IMO). Gonna be some serious competition at camp this year, Even Slavin and Pesce should be a little nervous.