The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Development Camp 2016

Does an ELC mean they either play 12 games with us then go to juniors? Or do they gonto CLT if we choose to not keep them?

They can play 9 games with us without losing a year on the ELC. As long as they play in Juniors they maintain their ELC length. As soon as they go to the AHL or NHL for 10 or more games in a season, their clock starts.

From CapFriendly:

"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Because signing bonuses are paid regardless of a slide, the bonuses paid on the slide year no longer count to the players remaining cap hit. The cap hit therefore changes - the players salary is averaged without the signing bonus."

wow, I thought those two would be in juniors or other countries or something for a couple years. Guess RF and BP think they are possibly ready this season for at least call ups and some looks.  Thats awesome. Our defensive depth is ridiculous, we are gonna have to use a couple of them to make a move for a Forward soon.  I mean there is a chance we could have 9 D guys ready for NHL this year and next, and not just ready but really good. Gonna be hard to pick which one(s) to give up(Murphy obvious choice but not much return IMO). Gonna be some serious competition at camp this year, Even Slavin and Pesce should be a little nervous.   

Bean will go back to Juniors without playing any NHL games. He might get a preseason game or two, but he is 2-3 years away. I image his path being similar to Fluery's path. With his ELC sliding for a couple of years. This needs to be the plan with Bean as he needs to get bigger, & Stronger.

Now as for Gauthier he is in a better situation. Our F depth is not as deep as the D depth. He has the body of an NHL power F at 18yo. I image if his game is anywhere near NHL ready then he could get 9 NHL games, and make it really hard on the Canes coaches. He will get a shot, but remember for both of these guys it is either NHL, or back to Juniors...no AHL option.

Went to the scrimmage today. They were selling some discounted stuff on the concourse. They had some "collectible" jersey name plates. With this one, you got a free kick in the groin or sharp stick in the eye...

1zd52xl.jpg

The group of prospects is a bigger group than we have seen in the past. Francis said the average was about 6'3" and 200 lbs. Gauthier roofed a wrister off the top right corner bar at full speed from the left face off circle. Very impressive. Booth made a circus save, diving across the crease to glove one. I was impressed with Zykov.

They ran a 15 min period of 4 on 4 and a 15 min period of 3 on 3. They followed this up with the worlds slowest shootout. Nedj may need to work on that aspect of his game.

Thanks for the update SD. I think I'd take the kick in order to not take the Semin name plate. Kind of hard to think the organization is so hard up for cash they wouldn't just trash those.

Very good to hear about Zykov because I've heard so little about him.

Gauthier will have to blow doors off to make the team. I know that Francis left that door open, but he has Aho inked in. That said, if there are injuries or Nesty is not ready, he could get a couple of games. He is a power forward with lots of one on one skill, so even if his hockey sense needs work, he could get a few games.

Just seems like a guy they should tell to go back to Juniors and work on the passing, using your teammates thing.

I will say this. Was listening to Patrick O Sullivan on XM last year, and he admitted that his last year of going back to juniors was a complete waste of a year. He was not challenged and did not get any better.

So, here's a question for those that know these things. If say Gauthier goes back and does one more year of Juniors. Then, next year at camp we think he is just not going to be helped by yet another year of Juniors, but may not be NHL ready, can't we just start his NHL career, then send him down to the AHL for most of the next year? I know we are burning a year, but wouldn't that at least get around this insane two years back in Juniors or NHL dichotomy thing?

Also Gauthier will turn 20 in October of next year. Pretty much the very beginning of the season. How does that work? Can he go AHL in October? Or does he have to return to Juniors for that whole year?

Edited by remkin

The NHL CHL age agreement says 20 by Dec 31, so I'd think he could play the entire 2017-18 season in Charlotte.  Plus, pretty sure this will be his 4th year in the QMJHL, so he shoud be eligible for the AHL the season after next by that criteria in addition to the age one.

On the name plates, they had some from way back. I saw Gerber, Boulerice, and Tanabe. They must not throw anything out.

PK can't go into the kids Piggy Bank anymore. Next for sale will be used towels and jock straps.

One kid to keep an eye on is Janne Kuokkanen. In a few years he may make a move. He has great puck handling skills and can be a very good play maker. Reports are that he doesn't shoot enough and focus appears to be on play making. Perhaps they will work with him to shoot more often. Reminds me a little like Tolchinsky except he is taller and heavier.I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of Tolchinsky this year.

Very good to hear about Zykov because I've heard so little about him.

For what it's worth, i was very impressed with him in the drills when i was watching the live stream.  Doesn't mean he's NHL-bound or anything, but he was probably the one who jumped out at me the most.  On the flipside, i thought Poturalski looked very awkward in the skating drills.

Went down to Summer Camp to check my eyes today.  Between the Francis interview on NHL Network Friday night, the show's profile of the Canes, and today's pump-up Q&A with BP and RF there is plenty to like in the coming season and years ahead.

As for my eyes, they see a more stable McKeown, but a few glaring turnovers in the wrong place by Fleury.  I appreciate the effort by Zykov, Foegele, Smallman and Lorentz.  Funny, but Smallman stood out to me last year, too. Gauthier is going to be a fan favorite and looked good out there.

I wanted to see more from Roy, but give him a pass since he missed most of camp due to illness and was bound to be more rusty than the others.

Really nice event and good show put on with the signings and scrimmage.  Most appreciated for a July Saturday!

Edited by Manwolf

nice observations by those who went and those who watched the stream. good info..thanks

Some takes on the scrimmage.

http://www.canescountry.com/2016/7/9/12136336/final-thoughts-hurricanes-summerfest-scrimmage-and-beyond

I didn't see any, but reading accounts is really fun because we have us some prospects.

Hearing both Bob Wage and the writer above really impressed with Zykov. Bob Wage from Canes Country brought up this:

Back in 2012-13, Zykov was named CHL Rookie of the Year over several other star players including Connor McDavid, who was also a finalist.  The Russian native had 40 goals and 35 assists in 67 regular season games and then 10 goals and 9 assists in 19 playoff games.

Fleury with lots of accolades, and Kuokkanen, and just gushing over Guathier, who apparently made some sweet passes (a supposed weakness) Canes and Coffee called Gauthier: "utterly phenomenal".

Mentions of McKeown and Foegele, and Poturalski.

And all goalies especially Booth and Ned.

And to think Saarela and Aho aren't even there...

Can't wait for camp.

Edited by remkin

Bean will go back to Juniors without playing any NHL games. He might get a preseason game or two, but he is 2-3 years away. I image his path being similar to Fluery's path. With his ELC sliding for a couple of years. This needs to be the plan with Bean as he needs to get bigger, & Stronger.

Now as for Gauthier he is in a better situation. Our F depth is not as deep as the D depth. He has the body of an NHL power F at 18yo. I image if his game is anywhere near NHL ready then he could get 9 NHL games, and make it really hard on the Canes coaches. He will get a shot, but remember for both of these guys it is either NHL, or back to Juniors...no AHL option.

If I had to guess, I'd say that unless Gauthier is no where close after camp, he gets at least some of the 9 game look-see. I don't know if he'd actually get any game time, but they may want to work with him as long as possible. This is assuming that there is a roster spot after camp. Who knows who may push to make it.

Is it October yet?

I wish the team got more coverage during the off times. Really help maintaining fan interests and build fan knowledge of the entire organization and upcoming prospects.

I wish the team got more coverage during the off times. Really help maintaining fan interests and build fan knowledge of the entire organization and upcoming prospects.

Well Canes&Coffee is doing "Pokemon Go" Tweets on Twitter, so there's not much there to really talk about til at least mid August.

If I had to guess, I'd say that unless Gauthier is no where close after camp, he gets at least some of the 9 game look-see. I don't know if he'd actually get any game time, but they may want to work with him as long as possible. This is assuming that there is a roster spot after camp. Who knows who may push to make it.

It may end up being a numbers game. If Nestrasil is good to go and their are no injuries, and assuming Aho is on the roster, I count 13 forwards. Still, if he really impresses, maybe they still try to get him a game or two just to give him that taste.