The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Coach Peters signed to contract extension through 18/19

Glad to see this. Ensure a little stability behind the bench, so the players can concentrate on playing the system without worrying about who might be the next guy.

Very solid. This is the best coach we've had in a long time. Getting what he got out of this team last year with a toothless Eric Staal, and a Versteeg inches away from the Swiss league?

Great news.

I think this was too soon. He has yet to make the playoffs and has a losing record as head coach. Does this organization define success as having a losing record? It sure seems that way.

I think this was too soon. He has yet to make the playoffs and has a losing record as head coach. Does this organization define success as having a losing record? It sure seems that way.

That's one perspective.  Another is that RF recognizes that he's got a good coach who's stopped the slide and reversed the team's direction.  And that it's likely enough that the Canes continue their improvement under Peters that the risk/ reward equation comes out such that it makes more sense to lock Peters up now at a cheaper rate than what it would cost to re-sign him a couple of years down the road after our continued improvement. 

Edited by LakeLivin

No.

Well I guess Mo was still under contract with the Jets.

Do I really need to add the sarcasm emoji?

Well I guess Mo was still under contract with the Jets.

Do I really need to add the sarcasm emoji?

:deadhorse:

Finally got the chance to watch the presser, and just have to ask:

What is so difficult about placing a mic in the middle of the room and getting the press corps to line up behind it, so we can actually hear their Qs?? Or have a couple of wireless mics they could pass around.

Mic'ed up Qs would make these so much better. 

I just feel that this was too early.  This goes right up there with the Eddie Lack extension,  Everyone on this board was ranting and raving how it was a great signing and how I was wrong about worrying about the fact that this team extended his contract before he played 1 game as a Hurricane.  Look at where we are now with Lack.  I feel that a contract extension should happen after he makes the playoffs.

What happens if the team drops a gigantic goose egg this year and the Canes are a bottom dweller?  How does that contract extension look then?  There is the counter argument of:  "What happens if the team does well and Peters is not extended.  Then he could command a higher salary.".  So pick your poison,  This is definitely a gamble though.

Edited by bluedevil58

Ultimately the coach's salary is just an issue for PK's pocket book. There is no cap hit. If for some unforeseen reason Peters had to be let go, he can still be fired.

Ultimately the coach's salary is just an issue for PK's pocket book. There is no cap hit. If for some unforeseen reason Peters had to be let go, he can still be fired.

I realize that.  I am in sales.  Picture it this way.  Remkin is also in sales and over the past year he missed hitting quota every month.  Your boss comes to you in Q4 and says:  "Good job Remkin.  You're getting a raise."  So you get that raise even though you missed hitting your numbers every month.  In your opinion the company just set the expectation of: "it's ok to not hit your numbers".  You now feel less urgency to hit your numbers and might even slack off a bit.

Let's look at the Hurricanes now:  Bill Peters for the past 2 years has missed the playoffs and our star players failed to produce under his system and most of them had all-time career lows in terms of stats while under his system.  Most of those star players are gone now.  The seasons go on and here we are in the off season.  "Good job Bill, you're developing our young core and here is a contract extension that you deserve even though you have missed the playoffs and have a losing record during your tenure here as HC."

Bill Peters proceeds to ride out his contract and maybe just maybe in the back of his mind he too thinks it's ok to not make the playoffs and maybe just maybe he will too slack off just like Remkin did in sales after receiving that raise even though Remkin truly didn't earn that raise.  Just like how Bill Peters should be held accountable for missing the playoffs and work towards EARNING that extension.

Edited by bluedevil58

Great point Top - that's been going on as long as I can remember.  You can never hear the damn question.

With the savings on Eric's deal, I think we can buy another mic or two  :lol:

I realize that.  I am in sales.  Picture it this way.  Remkin is also in sales and over the past year he missed hitting quota every month.  Your boss comes to you in Q4 and says:  "Good job Remkin.  You're getting a raise."  So you get that raise even though you missed hitting your numbers every month.  In your opinion the company just set the expectation of: "it's ok to not hit your numbers".  You now feel less urgency to hit your numbers and might even slack off a bit.

Let's look at the Hurricanes now:  Bill Peters for the past 2 years has missed the playoffs and our star players failed to produce under his system and most of them had all-time career lows in terms of stats while under his system.  Most of those star players are gone now.  The seasons go on and here we are in the off season.  "Good job Bill, you're developing our young core and here is a contract extension that you deserve even though you have missed the playoffs and have a losing record during your tenure here as HC."

Bill Peters proceeds to ride out his contract and maybe just maybe in the back of his mind he too thinks it's ok to not make the playoffs and maybe just maybe he will too slack off just like Remkin did in sales after receiving that raise even though Remkin truly didn't earn that raise.  Just like how Bill Peters should be held accountable for missing the playoffs and work towards EARNING that extension.

You and I clearly see a different Bill Peters.  I guess time will tell if this is a good move or bad move.

I think we have one of the best, up and coming coaches in the league and just locked him down for a couple more years. Worst case, which seems pretty unlikely right now, he is a mirage and things deteriorate and PK has to eat some salary.

Peters lead this team to a 15 point gain from the previous year despite an anemic Eric Staal and really no top line, and some really bad goaltending to start that year.

The idea that Peters will lose motivation over being extended? Again, we must see a different Bill Peters because that, I can't even imagine.

Edited by remkin