The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Coach Peters signed to contract extension through 18/19

I don't know how any reasonable fan could expect any coach to come in facing a 5-year rebuild and have immediate success in wins and losses.  Particularly with the skaters Peters inherited, less than average goaltending, and absolutely no depth to fall back on.  But let's not forget we saw a 15-point improvement from year one to year two.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the job the entire organization has done to rebuild the franchise.  We are in way better hands (except for maybe Peter K) than we were three years ago, including all the coaches, not just Bill Peters.

I do think its reasonable to expect some strides in the goal scoring department for the upcoming season.  Peters said in his latest interview with the improved skill on the team he is now able to try some things he couldn't in his first two years to increase scoring and the outcomes of one-goal games.

And you don't let your rebuilding coach go into this season on the end of his deal.  He got a two-year extension, and a vote of confidence.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Long story short, he's signed for three years. I feel better about that now than I did two years ago when he was an unknown quantity and was signed for three years.

Long story short, he's signed for three years. I feel better about that now than I did two years ago when he was an unknown quantity and was signed for three years.

So is it playoffs or Bust this season or are we still 2 - 3 out from that in ya'lls opinion?

I just feel that this was too early.  This goes right up there with the Eddie Lack extension,  Everyone on this board was ranting and raving how it was a great signing and how I was wrong about worrying about the fact that this team extended his contract before he played 1 game as a Hurricane.  Look at where we are now with Lack.  I feel that a contract extension should happen after he makes the playoffs.

What happens if the team drops a gigantic goose egg this year and the Canes are a bottom dweller?  How does that contract extension look then?  There is the counter argument of:  "What happens if the team does well and Peters is not extended.  Then he could command a higher salary.".  So pick your poison,  This is definitely a gamble though.

No gamble in my opinion. I think BP has a brilliant hockey mind. Remember who he has had for two years on the ice. Do you want another Maurice or Captain Kirk back,no thanks. I believe the players respect him and have bought into the system. Under Kirk there wasn't respect and players abandoned the system. This team realizes that performance equals ice time.   

This.

(And don't you just hate it when you haven't yet signed in, and unsuspectingly catch a glimpse of the scurrying fowl?)

The meds need to be adjusted again! 

Personally I think the organization really needs the playoffs this year, but I don't think we change GM or coaching leadership if we get close and miss again.

Francis is clearly still making only moves that do not jeopardize the long game. If he were gunning for absolute playoffs this year, he probably really goes hard at an upgrade in goal and forward now. But he is holding to the good of the long term. He clearly has the support of PK on that. He wants to see what our talented yutes will bring.

I personally feel optimistic that the blend of skill and coaching we have now can be enough this year. It is also possible that if we're in the hunt we try to make another move down the road.

But I really think that the earnest, we make it every year is a year off, and the solid perennial cup contender is probably two years off. We need Hanifin to get to that elite level, we need to find the goaltending solution, and we need to find that elite forward to go with our burgeoning depth.

So this year will tell us more about what we have, and thus what moves still need to be made, and hopefully up the trade value of a piece that might need to be moved. If Aho, or Lindholm or TT or all of them really step up, or Gauthier shows what we think, we may have quite a bit.

No gamble in my opinion. I think BP has a brilliant hockey mind. Remember who he has had for two years on the ice. Do you want another Maurice or Captain Kirk back,no thanks. I believe the players respect him and have bought into the system. Under Kirk there wasn't respect and players abandoned the system. This team realizes that performance equals ice time.   

Exactly. To even remotely equate a sales position (or the management of a sales operation) with the coach's role in professional team sports is to draw a false equivalency.

A salesperson has essentially one job: Make the calls. It's a numbers game. Make enough sales calls and you'll make your quota. Now, if you can also provide great customer service and be your customers' best advocate when quality, credit, or delivery issues which are clearly not of their making arise, maybe you can make fewer prospecting calls most months, because you'll be getting a lot of repeat business. Nevertheless, sales is not rocket science. Make the calls and service your customers well and you'll close sales. Success depends totally on the initiative YOU bring to the job. 

Contrast that to the endless variables faced by a sports organization trying to become competitive long-term in the best league of its kind in the world. So much is completely out of the control of the coach, no matter how motivated he might be. Here's a short list:

- Injuries

- The performance of other teams

- The depth of your own organization

- Contract negotiations

- Alexander Semin (as just one example)

If Eric Staal, in the last year of his contract, looks about as interested in playing hockey as in getting a root canal, is that Bill Peters' fault? Or Ron Francis', for that matter?

If James Wisnewski blows his knee out in Game One and you're forced to scramble on D, is that on the coach, or the GM? I don't think some people recognize how unlikely what this team was able to achieve on D last season actually was. That it did is a real tribute to the coaching staff.

If the cut line for the playoffs is typically 90 points, and you get there, but the cut line that particular year falls at 93, was the year a "bust"? And if you answer yes, is Bill Peters to blame? And if you answer yes to that, is firing him really smart? Start back at square one with a new system, a whole new coaching staff, when your organization is clearly on the upswing, and closer than ever to achieving what it has failed to for years, thanks primarily to the inconsistency of a revolving door, "you're fired!" policy towards the people working to develop consistency?

I also must respond to the almost-constant dissing of Captain Kirk. I get that a lot of people think he was terrible. But I think they overlook what he was dealing with, which were the same things BP did for his first two years, only worse, because Kirk had to deal with JR and accommodate his utter cluelessness. People criticize Kirk's positivity and flat affect in interviews, but the only hope he had of turning things around was to win over the yutes by accentuating the positive steps he saw them taking - on which count he completely succeeded, BTW. The yutes totally bought into his system.

Calling out young guys who have been thrown to the wolves on NHL ice by a GM whose only interest was preserving the perception that he was making all the right moves is not going to build their confidence. Muller's only option was to do what he could within the confines JR created; as long as Eric and JR were here, Kirk was never going to be the top guy in the room--it's as simple as that. It's also Organizational Culture 101: If you hire a manager but prevent him from managing as he sees fit, all you've really done is create a yes-man. 

Together BP and RF have done away with the yes-man culture. BP is free to manage his players and hold them accountable. He and RF are working together to build the organization with a long-term vision. The result is that guys are leaving it all out there every night. That makes for a better fan experience and, as word spreads around the league, will make Raleigh a place where guys want to play, and BP a guy they want to play for. These are the exact things this franchise has lacked since about 2011. 

The ship has been turned around. Now it's accelerating, and I'm totally on board. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

top, not going to quote you, but your analysis is brilliant and insightful. Saying that, I feel it's an exercise in futility, if you think you can enlighten those who would be contrarian, no matter how you analyze matters. But thanks

If Eric Staal, in the last year of his contract, looks about as interested in playing hockey as in getting a root canal, is that Bill Peters' fault? Or Ron Francis', for that matter?

Excellent points throughout.  And the grammar nazi in me commends your appropriate use of apostrophes.

top, not going to quote you, but your analysis is brilliant and insightful. Saying that, I feel it's an exercise in futility, if you think you can enlighten those who would be contrarian, no matter how you analyze matters. But thanks

Thanks Kjun. Some people wouldn't recognize progress if they tripped over it, and, to your point, seem actually to prefer chaos.

Excellent points throughout.  And the grammar nazi in me commends your appropriate use of apostrophes.

Thanks realm. Maybe we both need armbands!

grammar-nazi.jpg

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'd like to take this opportunity to continue to dis Kirk Muller.

He was a clueless bafoon who had no business as a head coach in the NHL.  His assistants were worse.

Thank you.

The yutes totally bought into his system.

Great post and I agree with 99% of your post except for the above. The Yutes may have bought into the system initially, but since there was not 100% buy in from the veteran players, led by Staal, the Yutes were swayed by their on ice leadership. I recall games when the team was behind and couldn't score and the team on the ice including the yutes abandoned the system. Yes Kirk's hands were tied and I agree he was never going to be the top guy in the room as long as JR was still here. I certainly did not put blame on Kirk for our position in the standings but I will say that I will take BP over KM any day of the week. BP is a teacher,motivator and Leader.

I'd like to take this opportunity to continue to dis Kirk Muller.

He was a clueless bafoon who had no business as a head coach in the NHL.  His assistants were worse.

Thank you.

It's in depth analysis like this that keeps me coming back.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

You know. I really didn't appreciate Lavi's coaching until I have it more thought. Did anyone notice at the start of every playoff series the team made a run at the goalie checking him to get into his head? It happened every series. That was a great coach!

Great post and I agree with 99% of your post except for the above. The Yutes may have bought into the system initially, but since there was not 100% buy in from the veteran players, led by Staal, the Yutes were swayed by their on ice leadership. I recall games when the team was behind and couldn't score and the team on the ice including the yutes abandoned the system. Yes Kirk's hands were tied and I agree he was never going to be the top guy in the room as long as JR was still here. I certainly did not put blame on Kirk for our position in the standings but I will say that I will take BP over KM any day of the week. BP is a teacher,motivator and Leader.

I hear ya. Yutes by their nature are going to follow the vets, especially if they sense that the coach's position is in jeopardy. But I will add that with very few exceptions (Faulk, Skinner and Lindy), all those yutes are now gone.

Kirk had a rep for working well with young 'uns and JR cited that when he was hired. I would put money - and it's only conjecture, of course - that RF had a strong influence in his hiring. I also think that he came down on the side of letting him go b/c Eric would still be here, and the battle for the locker room could drag on. He really had no option but to bring in a new guy and lay down the law. Though I feel sorry Kirk was the casualty, I'm glad Ronnie did it, and don't think he couldn't have picked a better coach.

Edited by top-shelf-1

It's in depth analysis like this that keeps me coming back.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah well, we can agree to dis...agree. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Muller got fired because he sucked at head coaching a hockey team.  The only coach I have ever seen that got penalized for sending two forward lines over the boards at the same time.  The endless rimming the puck around the boards or off the glass just to get out of our own zone.  Dump and change.  The endless stick checks.

God awful to watch.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Muller got fired because he sucked at head coaching a hockey team.  The only coach I have ever seen that got penalized for sending two forward lines over the boards at the same time.  The endless rimming the puck around the boards or off the glass just to get out of our own zone.  Dump and change.  The endless stick checks.

God awful to watch.

You mean Paul Maurice hockey? Because I honestly didn't see much space between the two. Get a one-goal lead, try to protect it with 3rd-rate defense and forwards who couldn't find their own blue line with both hands and a flashlight, and respond stoically to the press when they ask what happened, post-game.

My point being: Anytime players - particularly your franchise player - knows he's unaccountable and can go over the coach's head to the GM, you've got a problem. That was the case since Eric got his deal, and until both he and JR were gone, no coach, not even one who led us to the Final in a past life, was going to be long-term successful here.

Edited by top-shelf-1

For me, all Muller preached was accountability and win battles.  Then we failed to win battles all over the ice and the same guys kept playing night after night.  Empty words are exactly that.

HCBP preached accountability again and I thought "uh oh" until I saw guys sitting in the press box and moving down lines directly correlated to performance and also, rather than just telling the guys to win battles, appears to be able to teach guys HOW.

I agree with everything said but I firmly believe JR and PK ruined his accountability message so it's hard to fully bust him in that.

Edited by legend-1

For me, all Muller preached was accountability and win battles.  Then we failed to win battles all over the ice and the same guys kept playing night after night.  Empty words are exactly that.

HCBP preached accountability again and I thought "uh oh" until I saw guys sitting in the press box and moving down lines directly correlated to performance and also, rather than just telling the guys to win battles, appears to be able to teach guys HOW.

I agree, my point is what allowed Muller's words to be empty: The culture JR created. That culture is now gone, and we're seeing what happens when players must answer to the only guy they should: The coach.  

Edited by top-shelf-1