The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2016/17 talk

Another Michael Leighton Shutout Keeps Checkers Perfect at Home

The Checkers kept their winning ways going on home ice by blanking the Rockford IceHogs 4-0 thanks to some late offense and a record-setting performance from goalie Michael Leighton.

McGinn has three goals in his last three games and extended his point streak to five games

So those 4 are out of the gate point producers.

I know McClement fills his role, and looks good out there, but the guy just doesn't seem to be able to score. Both Derek Ryan (1.43 ppg) and Andrew Poturalski (1.14 ppg and plus 7) are on fire. Both are smaller guys, but if we ever want some scoring from our 4th line, something to consider.

I'm still not giving up on McGinn, and I thought Zykov looked pretty good in Traverse City and camp.

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

So those 4 are out of the gate point producers.

I know McClement fills his role, and looks looked good out there last game, but the guy just doesn't seem to be able to score. Both Derek Ryan (1.43 ppg) and Andrew Poturalski (1.14 ppg and plus 7) are on fire. Both are smaller guys, but if we ever want some scoring from our 4th line, something to consider.

I'm still not giving up on McGinn, and I thought Zykov looked pretty good in Traverse City and camp.

Fixed that for ya rem. :)

Imo, definitely no to the 21yo Zykov, at least not until he produces for a lot longer at the AHL level. We're currently full up with yutes still getting their feet wet with the Canes.

Checkers Top Rockford, Extend Home Winning Streak

“It’s a combination of our D trusting their skating ability and we’re getting some good back pressure,” said head coach Ulf Samuelsson. “Our forwards are working hard and it’s making it hard for the opponent to create anything on the rush. We played well in our own end as well.”

The score was 2-1 . Leighton now 5-0-0 on season

Make that 6

Matt Tennyson's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to Sixth Straight Victory

HAT TRICK FOR TENNYSON! An empty-net goal makes it 4-1 Checkers and the streak will continue!

Six in a row! We've tied the record for longest winning streak in team history

the Checkers have recalled Josh Wesley from the ECHL’s Florida Everblades to bring their total number of defensemen back to seven as they prepare to face Rockford in the final leg of a three-in-three set tonight. Wesley, who served as a healthy extra with Charlotte before being sent to Florida, appeared in four games during his stay with the Everblades, logging three points, including his first pro goal.

Checkers' Streak Snapped

This marks the first time the Checkers have been shutout since 3/16 of last season

Phil Di Giuseppe played his first game in a Checkers sweater since 1/30 of last season, tying for the team lead with five shots on goal

You think they might be missing a couple of guys? It appears they played pretty well and did go to OT.

Checkers Drop Overtime Decision In Milwaukee By Nicholas Niedzielski

Looking to bounce back to their winning ways, the Checkers couldn’t quite muster up enough to put the Milwaukee Admirals away, falling 3-2 in overtime.

OBXer, I just wanted to say that I appreciate you keeping us up to date on the Checkers. I read all of your posts.

I also appreciate everyone who provides updates on our prospects.

Thanks.

• Like 1

As they head to Toronto for tomorrow’s game against the Maple Leafs, the Hurricanes have recalled goaltender Michael Leighton.

The move is categorized as an emergency recall, as Eddie Lack suffered a concussion earlier today during Carolina’s practice and has now been placed on injured reserve.

Leighton, a 16-year veteran, has been lights out for the Checkers this season, logging a 6-2-1 record in 10 appearances while posting the fourth-best goals-against average in the AHL and posting two shutouts to extend his position as the AHL’s all-time leader.

The Checkers, who suddenly find themselves with just one netminder on the roster, kick off a busy week with back-to-back contests against the Chicago Wolves, starting tomorrow night.

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The Checkers, who suddenly find themselves with just one netminder on the roster, kick off a busy week with back-to-back contests against the Chicago Wolves, starting tomorrow night.

Don't the Chex have a relationship with the Everblades similar to the one that the Canes have with with the Chex?

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Don't the Chex have a relationship with the Everblades similar to the one that the Canes have with with the Chex?

They do. Everblades goalies  the 6-4 is height and 201 weight Alt is  4-0-1 with a 1.80 GAA and Peters is 6-0 with a 2.12 GAA

33 Daniel Altshuller 6-4 201 07/24/1994 Nepean, ONT
30 Anthony Peters 6-1 196 12/31/1990

Blyth, Ont

Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from ECHL Florida

http://www.gocheckers.com/articles/transactions/checkers-recall-daniel-altshuller-from-echl-florida

Last season Altshuler started out smoking for the Chex with a 9-1-1 record in his first 11 games.  He then finished even colder than he was hot, going 1-9-4 in his last 15.  He's off to a good start with the 'Blades this season, although I don't know exactly what that means.  I guess we'll get a better idea if he gets ice time for Charlotte.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I guess we'll get a better idea if he gets ice time for Charlotte.

It will be interesting to watch. ECHL is a shooters league so you do get to see a lot of pucks. I hope he does well. You can never have enough Goaltenders.

Chex add another

Checkers Sign Veteran Kris Newbury To PTO  - By Nicholas Niedzielsk

As they prepare to head out West, the Checkers have added some depth up front, signing Kris Newbury to a professional tryout contract.

The veteran has spent the majority of his career at this level and has been a consistently strong producer, totaling 567 points (191g, 376a) and 1,806 penalty minutes in 788 career games, as well as earning an All-Star selection in 2007.

Chex are struggling

Heat Burn Checkers In 4-2 Loss By Nicholas Niedzielski

Cason Hohmann and Kris Newbury made their Checkers debuts tonight … Hohmann recorded his first AHL point and Josh Wesley scored his first AHL goal … Tonight’s loss was the fifth straight on the road for Charlotte

Checkers Blanked In Bakersfield By Nicholas Niedzielski

The Checkers again struggled to build any offense, though they had plenty of chances. They were handed four man advantages on the night, including three in a span of under six minutes in the third period, but came up empty on all four opportunities.

In net for Charlotte was Daniel Altshuller, making his first start for the Checkers this season. The third-year pro made 26 saves in the game and looked solid for long stretches of play.