The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Traverse City; NHL Prospects Tournament

Canes Announce Prospect Tournament Roster - By Terrell Williams

2016 NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, MI. The tournament is hosted annually by the Detroit Red Wings and will take place Sept. 16-20.

Ulf Samuelsson, head coach of Carolina’s American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, will serve as head coach for the Hurricanes’ team

The Hurricanes will open tournament play on Friday, Sept. 16, at 4 p.m., against the Rangers. Carolina will then take on Minnesota at 7 p.m. on Sept. 17, before finishing round-robin play against Dallas on Sept. 19, at 6:30 p.m.

Game Schedule

ROSTER

CAROLINA HURRICANES

4    FLEURY, Haydn D    

19  SAARELA, Aleksi C

24  BEAN, Jake D

37  FOEGELE, Warren LW

38  WESLEY, Josh D

39  ZYKOV, Valentin RW

44  GAUTHIER, Julien RW  

52  ELYNUIK, Hudson C    

55  McKEOWN, Roland D

57  POTURALSKI, Andrew  F    

58  ROY, Nicolas C

59  KUOKKANEN, Janne    LW/C

61  TOLCHINSKY, Sergey   LW

62  PETERS, Alex D    

64  BISHOP, Clark C

71  WALLMARK, Lucas C

75  SMALLMAN, Spencer    RW

78  LORENTZ, Steven C/LW

79  FERRANTINO, Mike F

82  CARROLL, Noah D

84  GLEASON, Ben D    

35  NEDELJKOVIC, Alex     G

50  HELVIG, Jeremy G

70  BOOTH, Callum G

I don't follow the prospects like many of you do but a bunch of names to watch jump out at me.  Number one for me is Nedeljkovic.

NED seems to be our heir apparent in the crease and I will be interested to see how he plays in the tourney.

I don't follow the prospects like many of you do but a bunch of names to watch jump out at me.  Number one for me is Nedeljkovic.

NED seems to be our heir apparent in the crease and I will be interested to see how he plays in the tourney.

He better be the heir apparent and he better be good. By resigning Ward for two years and keeping Eddie sLack around, we've pushed all our chips in on him or one of the other prospects.

Bellow are the guys I'm most interested in. I think we have a pretty good team. Could be interesting.

CAROLINA HURRICANES

4    FLEURY, Haydn D    Second D man drafted his year, 7th overall. Big, smooth skating, probably near NHL ready.

19  SAARELA, Aleksi C  Once uber elite prospect, injuries and interpersonal things set back, but has elite skill set (from Rangers)

24  BEAN, Jake D This year's top first round pick, puck mover thought so good we passed on much needed forwards to get him.

37  FOEGELE, Warren LW 3rd rounder 2014, shifty slick player w/ UNH

39  ZYKOV, Valentin RW high second rounder from Kings for Versteeg, Kings, another guy once thought to have elite skill, w/injury issues

44  GAUTHIER, Julien RW, once ranked as a top 10 pick, even higher, slipped, I don't really know why, serious sniper, big, skilled

55  McKEOWN, Roland D, LA, sekera deal, second rounder once projected top 10 pick, made team Canada at least a servicble NHL dman probably, maybe more

57  POTURALSKI, Andrew  F, one of the top scorers in the NCAA this year w/NH, free agent signing, upside /w no risk    

58  ROY, Nicolas C, immediately hailed as a draft steal. the big center went back and lead the Q in scoring.

59  KUOKKANEN, Janne    LW/C, we have scouting the heck out of Finland, another smooth, skilled Finn Second rounder

61  TOLCHINSKY, Sergey   LW, the kidsky/smurf undersized in the extreme, but upper skilled. Can he find it in the NHL?

35  NEDELJKOVIC, Alex G, the best goalie prospect at this point. Undersized, huge skill. Maybe new equipment rules ultimately help. He just killed World Juniors, but less overwhelming Junior hockey stats. Surely the big hope, and I agree a big tourney here would help us breathe easier about our net future, but still, goalies are just so hard to predict.

50  HELVIG, Jeremy G, big 19 yo Goalie, 6'4". 2016 draft, 5th round. But some really good goalies drafted late.

70  BOOTH, Callum G, big 19 yo goalie, 6'4", 2015 draft pick, 4th round. But some really good goalies drafted late.

Others may surprise, but that's who I'd watch, if I could.

Not sure why this even popped into my head, but here's an idea for an interesting "prop bet" for Traverse City this year:

Who has the better tournament:

Sergei Tolchinsky who is 21yo and has already played in the tourney twice (or is it 3 times?) but is still a smurf.

OR

Julien Gauthier who is only 18yo but is already a physical powerhouse.

p.s. To save someone some typing: no I don't see this as an indicator of future NHL success, nor even of any importance.  It just seems interesting, and since we've got nothing else to talk about right now . . .

Not sure why this even popped into my head, but here's an idea for an interesting "prop bet" for Traverse City this year:

Who has the better tournament:

Sergei Tolchinsky who is 21yo and has already played in the tourney twice (or is it 3 times?) but is still a smurf.

OR

Julien Gauthier who is only 18yo but is already a physical powerhouse.

p.s. To save someone some typing: no I don't see this as an indicator of future NHL success, nor even of any importance.  It just seems interesting, and since we've got nothing else to talk about right now . . .

Ok, I'll bite...what do you mean by "the better tournament?" Do you mean who will score the most points, or do you mean who will do what the coaching staff wants, work hard on all shifts, and play a good 200' game? They are obviously not mutually exclusive, but I could see Julien scoring more while Sergei has the more complete game due to his experience. My bet is that if that happens and Sergei isn't a non-factor on the scoring sheet, the coaches would say he had the better tournament.

Edited by MinJaBen

Ok, I'll bite...what do you mean by "the better tournament?" Do you mean who will score the most points, or do you mean who will do what the coaching staff wants, work hard on all shifts, and play a good 200' game? They are obviously not mutually exclusive, but I could see Julien scoring more while Sergei has the more complete game due to his experience. My bet is that if that happens and Sergei isn't a non-factor on the scoring sheet, the coaches would say he had the better tournament.

Yeah, it's subjective, most likely a "you know it when you see it" kind of thing.  So instead of trying to come up with an arbitrary definition, I'm thinking the best way to approach it is to leave it up to the individual. 

Kind of like what MinJaBen just did. :)

There are so many factors that could weigh into it (scoring, 2-way play, making teammates better, game winning heroics) it's hard to come up with a set definition beforehand.  Here's an interesting way to think about a "meta-evaluation" of their respective play after the fact: the tourney just finished but it's going to be re-played in a week.  You've got to bet your house on the Canes in the new tourney (so ignore any long term considerations) and you can only keep 1 of Gauthier or Tolchinsky.  Based on what they just did, which of the 2 gives you the best chance to win next week in the re-play?

Edited by LakeLivin

Yeah, it's subjective, most likely a "you know it when you see it" kind of thing.  So instead of trying to come up with an arbitrary definition, I'm thinking the best way to approach it is to leave it up to the individual. 

Kind of like what MinJaBen just did. :)

There are so many factors that could weigh into it (scoring, 2-way play, making teammates better, game winning heroics) it's hard to come up with a set definition beforehand.  Here's an interesting way to think about a "meta-evaluation" of their respective play after the fact: the tourney just finished but it's going to be re-played in a week.  You've got to bet your house on the Canes in the new tourney (so ignore any long term considerations) and you can only keep 1 of Gauthier or Tolchinsky.  Based on what they just did, which of the 2 gives you the best chance to win next week in the re-play?

Ok, well then I am going to go with Tolchinsky has the better tournament. I think he really started to find his game in Charlotte the second half of the year and looked like a good player during his two cups of coffee with the Canes. Add to the fact he's "been there, done that" with this tournament and an older fella now, I give him the better chance to be a difference maker. And let's not forget, aside from size, he has some impressive skill with the puck. I hope they both do well.

Ok, well then I am going to go with Tolchinsky has the better tournament. I think he really started to find his game in Charlotte the second half of the year and looked like a good player during his two cups of coffee with the Canes. Add to the fact he's "been there, done that" with this tournament and an older fella now, I give him the better chance to be a difference maker. And let's not forget, aside from size, he has some impressive skill with the puck. I hope they both do well.

Hear, hear! 

And I'm pretty much in agreement with you on the rest of it, as well. 

I think exposure at that age does make a big difference, and Gautier's experience beyond the QMJHL is limited to only 5 WJC games.  So if he does shine in Traverse City?  Wow! 

Edited by LakeLivin

Saarela is definitely one to watch out for:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V84PtYgKDTo&ebc=ANyPxKq_I5xL0_NrGCqrnR3ffDRCVtKPs6s-YrzYsk_9DbkdYp19KX672AK4pYZzRALYk9BeRmlB

Goalies better watch out that he doesn't take their head off with that slapper!

Wow. Yeah, that shot beats just about any NHL goalie too. Goalie's "like go ahead and shoot it, I'm ready". Saarela's like, "look behind you."

Wow. Yeah, that shot beats just about any NHL goalie too. Goalie's "like go ahead and shoot it, I'm ready". Saarela's like, "look behind you."

Replace the water bottle, it has a subdural hematoma. 

Well, Josef Vasicek, E. Staal ,and Victor Rask rode an outstanding Traverse City Tournament to earn a roster spot.

The camera's FPS barely even caught the shot, I couldn't tell until the last two replays where the goal was scored.

The camera's FPS barely even caught the shot, I couldn't tell until the last two replays where the goal was scored.

Kinda mind-blowing that even the slow-motion doesn't show the puck in flight. Funny to see Schlegel's glove come up too late,  when the puck is hitting the twine glove-side high....

Edited by JonKerfoot

Well, Josef Vasicek, E. Staal ,and Victor Rask rode an outstanding Traverse City Tournament to earn a roster spot.

Sure.  What I was trying to head off was someone assuming that I thought Tolchinsky is a better long term prospect than Gauthier just because I think The Smurf is going to have a better Traverse City Tourney than The Body.

Edited by LakeLivin

If Tolchinsky has a good tournament, what does that really mean?  I'd say not much, he's a pro and has to prove it at a different level.  If he has a crappy or even average tournament, that says more.

I guess McGinn isn't considered a prospect anymore, since he isn't on the roster.  He was signed in the same draft year as Tolchinsky.

It's still interesting to me why Tolchinsky is even on the roster.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If Tolchinsky has a good tournament, what does that really mean?  I'd say not much, he's a pro and has to prove it at a different level.  If he has a crappy or even average tournament, that says more.

I agree, he really has no choice but to have a good tournament and it says nothing about him other then he can do what we'd hope he can do.

I think Tolchinsky would have to blow doors off for this to be one of those parlay this into an NHL career moments. But if he did great and continued it into camp, and the preseason, for a team that needs scoring, never know.

Rask did not just have a good Traverse City, he followed that up immediately with an awesome pre-season, and even then got his chance due to injury.

I'm inking Aho in, and PDG is still in the picture, so it is going to be very very hard for any forward to make the team from the Traverse roster barring injury. Depending on how Murphy does, a Dman has a small chance.

But the guys to me who have an outside shot:

Saarela, McKeown, Fleury, Roy, Poturalski, Zykov, and yes Tolchinsky, but what this tourney does is lets one or two of them get noticed. Then if they follow it up with a great preseason, AND someone gets hurt or flails, maybe.

I pick those guys as a combination of skill potential and age. Gauthier and Kuokkanen probably end up being better, but not this year.

Edited by remkin

I agree, he really has no choice but to have a good tournament and it says nothing about him other then he can do what we'd hope he can do.

The other roster players are true "prospects", so that's what I'll focus on.

Actually, we don't get anything but box scores and maybe a Canes Vision so that's what I mean.

Edited by coastal_caniac