The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Traverse City; NHL Prospects Tournament

I will say that my list is not necessarily who I am most interested in seeing. I am very interested in seeing Gauthier, I just think that despite Francis' musing on his size, he is a longer shot because of age. I could be wrong, it's just a feeling and tendencies to rush guys has had mixed results.

I am intrigued by Roy too.

I will say that my list is not necessarily who I am most interested in seeing. I am very interested in seeing Gauthier, I just think that despite Francis' musing on his size, he is a longer shot because of age. I could be wrong, it's just a feeling and tendencies to rush guys has had mixed results.

I am intrigued by Roy too.

Roy looked very good in the USA vs. Canada showcase game. I would say he looked liked the best forward for Team Canada and that includes guys like Marner, Strome, and some other high to mid first rounders.

No one will have to worry about a size debate either, he looked huge out there.

I was really impressed with Roy, he went to the net, made some nice passes that could have been finished, and just looked solid overall.

Bean looked as advertised. Good skater, passer, offensive instincts, etc., but his defense will need time to develop, particularly clearing guys out or neutralizing guys in front of the net. All of this is to be expected of course.

It was one game so it means almost nothing, but Roy stood out to me on an otherwise unimpressive Team Canada, which was good to see. He scored their only goal. The commentators noted the improvements he has made in his skating, and commented on how well we have been drafting, especially in the later rounds.

They made numerous comments about Aho during games involving Finland, and he wasn't even at the games. They said it would be a "huge" blow to Team Finland's chances during the World Juniors if he isn't available, and they don't expect he will be.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how Roy does as well, along with many others.

Thanks Krule! Great observations.

Aho, Bean, Gauthier, even Fleury are the shiny objects, and for good reason, but Roy could be the breakout surprise of camp.

Looking at this year (and Roy is a year older, but still, we're talking about this year).

Both Gauthier and Roy played in the Q.

Gauthier: 41G 16A, 57 points

Roy: 48G, 42A, 90 points

I'm all over Gauthier, and the guy put up even better numbers two years ago, but just that Roy is a year further along.

Baring injury, still don't think there is a roster spot for Roy to start the year, but in terms of a guy who comes in and surprises, Roy could well be that guy, especially since expectations are already sky high for Aho.

Just more smiles about our depth and potential future.

Edited by remkin

Gauthier is another guy who points out the problems with the NHL-Canadian Junior Hockey agreement, where there is dual competing interests between player development and Juniors as a stand alone league.

In a perfect world of development, I would start Gauthier back in Juniors and at some point half way or later move him to Charlotte this year. But at least next year.

I'm assuming Roy would be the first line center in Charlotte.

You mean after another year in the Q?  Pretty sure he's still not eligible to play in the AHL this year.  He turns 20 after the start of the year and only has 3 CHL years so far.  :mad:

Gauthier is another guy who points out the problems with the NHL-Canadian Junior Hockey agreement, where there is dual competing interests between player development and Juniors as a stand alone league.

In a perfect world of development, I would start Gauthier back in Juniors and at some point half way or later move him to Charlotte this year. But at least next year.

Ah, the major juniors mafia and their hold on the NHL.  Gotta keep those boys down on the farm and the mystery dollars rolling in. 

Seriously, major juniors finances are held closer to the vest than the nuclear codes for the US military.  Kids like Roy and Gauthier need to be in the AHL learning how to be professionals rather than riding busses and making pizza money.

I was listening to NHL on XM and they have Patrick O Sullivan on there, he said that his last year back in Juniors was a complete wasted year. I think one year is fine, but two should not be required.

I still think that each team should get one exemption.

A guy like Gauthier could use part of the year in Juniors to really work on some moves and maybe passing, but then transition to AHL mid season to get ready for a faster bigger game.

Ah, the major juniors mafia and their hold on the NHL.  Gotta keep those boys down on the farm and the mystery dollars rolling in. 

Seriously, major juniors finances are held closer to the vest than the nuclear codes for the US military.  Kids like Roy and Gauthier need to be in the AHL learning how to be professionals rather than riding busses and making pizza money.

I know you and I and top discussed this to death elsewhere, but this whole agreement is weird and annoying. The junior leagues talk about how education is a priority for them, but the kids are going to be in high school (assuming they are attending until they're 18, which may be a stretch) for maybe the first two years of their CHL "career", yet they can't go to the AHL until they're 20? That tells me that there's gonna be a two-year gap between high school graduation and the time they have to decide "AHL or college?", and though some people do better with a "gap year" between HS and college, by the time two years go by most kids are gonna wonder if college is worth it, or even if they want to make the effort.

Yes, the CHL does allegedly offer scholarship help to those who want to attend college, but there are so many conditions on that aid that it sounds like the vast majority don't even try to use it. F'rinstance (and maybe this is a fault of the NCAA rules), since players who have signed professional contracts are forced back onto CHL teams by this agreement, by NCAA rules CHL teams are considered professional; this means that even if a player doesn't sign a professional contract, he's deemed a professional by the NCAA if he plays in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL and can't play hockey for a US university....

Edited by JonKerfoot

You mean after another year in the Q?  Pretty sure he's still not eligible to play in the AHL this year.  He turns 20 after the start of the year and only has 3 CHL years so far.  :mad:

Yes.  I meant IF he could play in Charlotte he would likely be the first line center.  Going back to the Q could well be a wasted year of development.

Yeah Roy is the prime example. He already put up 1.5 ppg in Juniors. If I'm reading the rules right, he has to go back to Q or make the Canes. If one were pure interested in his development I would think he'd be better off in the AHL.

As an aside to these Canadian rules of which you speak, and I know nada, my thoughts are twofold. 1st, not only is it a year "wasted", during which I could see regression from lack of challenge, but also one wonders if some outside destructive behavior might also creep into the picture, due to boredom? Since so many aspects of the game are being microanalyzed (if that's a word??), wonder if any statistical analysis has ever been run to see how many of these "entrapped" players actually fall back to never get an opportunity to play in pro leagues? Wouldn't that be enlightening, but probably never happen as the "benefactors" of this conscription system would squelch it!!

I also wonder about the Matthews play, which was to go to Europe. It is a different form of hockey on big ice, and there are cultural challenges, but still, if it's a faster, higher level, or maybe even just something different.

Few do it, and I'm no expert in why, but for a guy like Roy, going back to Junior hockey seems all kinds of wrong.

I also wonder about the Matthews play, which was to go to Europe. It is a different form of hockey on big ice, and there are cultural challenges, but still, if it's a faster, higher level, or maybe even just something different.

Few do it, and I'm no expert in why, but for a guy like Roy, going back to Junior hockey seems all kinds of wrong.

Unfortunately, Europe isn't an option for Roy (or anyone else who played in a CHL league). The way the NHL-CHL agreement reads, if a CHL-veteran player signs a professional contract with an NHL team, they must be offered back to their CHL team if they are under 20 and don't make the NHL roster.

Auston Matthews didn't play in a CHL league - he went directly to Europe from his junior team. He was drafted by the Everett Silvertips of the WHL (one of the leagues under the CHL umbrella), but chose to play for the USNDTP juniors in the USHL (and in several junior worlds tournaments), then signed a one-year deal with ZSC Lions of the Swiss A-League in August of last year.

Basically, the agreement is so restricted and slanted toward the CHL that it reeks of collusion. Seriously, I wonder what the CHL has over the NHL that they can continue to insist on this agreement - the benefits accrue only to the CHL and its member leagues, not to the NHL, so someone with the CHL must know where the skeletons are hidden in the NHL's closet.

Myself, if I were the Hurricanes or possibly the agent of a top player, I'd at least consider the possibility of a lawsuit against the CHL and its member leagues for restraint of trade. I'd argue that, once an NHL team signs a player to a professional contract, the CHL agreement prevents the team or the player from doing what it feels is in the best interest of the player's development.

This is probably why I'm not a lawyer.... :lol:

Not to mention even if you were a lawyer, you better be versed in international labor disputes.  

Okay, okay! That's another reason I'm not a lawyer. :lol: