The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Traverse City; NHL Prospects Tournament

I must admit I saw more of the first part where we were possessing and getting to the net very well, and getting good goalie play. I noticed Zykov a few times. And sweet spinorama by Tolchinski. i also noticed Kuok. a few times. Not a great vantage and no replay so kind of hard to say much more from my perch.

Any word on Fleury?

Only watched last 10 minutes of 3rd and the OT.  Jake Bean was the one guy who stood out to me.  Excellent skater, good overall coverage and active stick with long reach.

I must admit I saw more of the first part where we were possessing and getting to the net very well, and getting good goalie play. I noticed Zykov a few times. And sweet spinorama by Tolchinski. i also noticed Kuok. a few times. Not a great vantage and no replay so kind of hard to say much more from my perch.

Any word on Fleury?

I saw on the Hurricanes' Facebook page someone asked about Fleury in the comments section, the Hurricanes replied that he is day-to-day with a lower body injury.

Canes website with some highlights from yesterday, way clearer picture than the feed was, at least mine.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/traverse-highlights-car-vs-nyr/t-277437094/c-44702703

To my eye:

Kuokkanen was making things happen all over the place. Francis et all may have found another second round steal.

Gauthier had a very sweet no look backhand pass to Roy in the slot, and split the D for another chance.

Bean has a really good top corner shot when he activates. Didn't go in this time, but still looked good.

Ned mades some very nice stops, I noticed quite a few more during the first period too.

Tolchinsky had a very sweet pass that most times would have been converted, but wasn't finished, and also the spin move, and there was nice finish on that play after the spin move.

Edited by remkin

I will warn you guys about Nedeljkovic. I saw him live at the RCI, and he looks really small in goal. He's not very tall, has small pads, and it looks like there's a lot of open net. But then I remind myself Marc Andre Fleury is the same size.

I thought Roy and Kuok were bet the best Canes on the ice, and it wasn't even close.  Foegle gets an honorable mention.  I thought Fluery and McKeown were the best defenseman, at least in yesterday's game.

Edited by coastal_caniac

When the opposition needs six guys and three minutes to score, you might be smothering them. Another great win, and Booth looked very solid. Great positioning, very calm movements--even after getting mugged. Twice.

Wow the canes vision highlights were much better then what I could see in the feed (hey its better than nothing right?) 71 shots in two games sounds like Hurricanes hockey alright, glad to see the matching results :)

Very excited about the future.  Cautiously optimistic about this season.  We're still a year, maybe two, away, but when we get there we're going to be there for the long haul and not a one-in / one-out.  Had RF taken over for JR a couple years earlier, i shudder to think how dangerous this team would be this season.  They can still make some noise this season, of course.  I expect they'll turn a lot of heads.

Didn't see the stream, but on the highlights: Zykov w/ a nice shot for the first goal, and seemed to be in on a bunch of plays. Foegle with a nice second effort goal and seemed to be around the net. Roy and Gauthier and Kuok looked to be prominent. And Gauthier planted that guy into the bench. But mainly Tolchinsky, with two sweet tape to tape passes to guys in front of the net. One converted, one didn't, but that's two games now that he has factored into.

Really interested to see a couple of these guys in camp, Tolchinsky right up with any of them.

Canes in first place and if they win tomorrow they play for the championship.

Edited by remkin

Watched most of the stream.  I noticed Tolchinsky really got planted a few times. Hard. He's really weak on his skates in one-on-one battles.  Otherwise, those nice passes.  I didn't see Gauthier really do much other than a few power drives to the net and a couple of big hits. He lost the puck off his stick a lot.  Just my opinion from watching a couple of games and the rookie camp, but he's going to have to clean that up.  He's got an NHL body though, holy cow is he thick.   Zykov looked noticeable.  Roy and Kuok were as well.

Callum Booth had a nice game.  He's got some size as well to fill up the net.

On Ganly's big hit, it looked legal but I couldn't really tell with no replay.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I pretty much agree, coastal. Gauthier looked frustrated to me about halfway thru, like he expected it to be easier than it has been thus far. Understandable, since I doubt guys have been on him this quickly in his career before now. He is strong, though. He just needs to let the play come to him a bit.

Ganly's hit looked totally clean to me, in fact, it looked like he just stood the guy up and he fell over. Ganly seemed surprised when the mitts hit the ice, and by the time he realized what was happening it was too late. He got hammered pretty good. 

OK. Thanks Coastal.

Looks like they changed up the lines a little. At least from the first game.

Bummer Fleury is out. Guess I'll head over that way and take a gander.

hey-hey! Prospect Canes 6-3 over Prospect Stars. Now 3-0 play for the Championship tomorrow!

Edited by remkin