The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Traverse City; NHL Prospects Tournament

"The Canes win the Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup!

The Canes win the Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup!"

That was my celebration and my tribute to Gene Hart. Most of you probably don't know who Gene Hart was, but he was one of the greatest broadcasters in history.

Top, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about and how great he was.

Anyway, great job baby Canes. Good to have some positivity around the organization.

That was my celebration and my tribute to Gene Hart. Most of you probably don't know who Gene Hart was, but he was one of the greatest broadcasters in history.

Top, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about and how great he was.

Hells yeah, I know! Forgive me if I've already shared (bored you with) this story, but we were STHs in Philly during the Broad Street Bullies years, and I was an enterprising kid. Before one of the early-round games in the Flyers' first Cup year, I took orders at school for game programs and promised my customers Geno's autograph in each of their copies.

In those days the press box was at the top of the lower bowl, running approximately blue line to blue line. (They were high platforms with built-in desks on each side of the rink, but only one was for press. The other was the closest they had at the time to superboxes; the best seats in the house. You could always see Mr. Snider holding court in the one across the rink from our seats, which were upstairs right on the goal line [Flyers shoot twice]).

Anyway, I got 13 orders. These were the league's souvenir programs; hundred-plus page magazines, every page glossy, the whole thing was full-color with great action pictures of all the top players around the league, feature stories, etc. The stock they were printed on made 13 of them pretty heavy to lug around an arena. The front of the press box was probably five- or six-feet high; I actually had to take a couple of steps back to make eye contact with Hart, and with all the pre-game hoopla, I had to shout: "Can you sign some programs?"

"How many?"

"Thirteen."

"THIRTEEN???"

I don't know if he was reacting to the sheer number, or the number's unlucky status, but he said, "Sure! Hand 'em up!" One of the reporters in the front row of the box reached down, and I lifted the stack over my head. He passed them back to Gene, and about five or ten minutes went by. When the books came back down every one them had not only Geno's signature but Ed Van Impe's too, who must have been on the DL and sitting in on the broadcast. My customers were elated, and I learned at a very young age the effects of giving people a little more than they expect. (Little did I know at the time that within a few years I'd be sitting in the same press box for concerts, as I cut my reporting teeth covering Spectrum shows for my local daily newspaper.)

When I finally got to the HHOF a few years ago (just like my high school teammates told me I would, by buying a ticket!), being a radio guy myself early in my career, the first plaque I looked for in the Great Hall was Hart's. Greatest hockey play-by-play announcer of all time, bar none.

Edited by top-shelf-1

When I finally got to the HHOF a few years ago (just like my high school teammates told me I would, by buying a ticket!), being a radio guy myself early in my career, the first plaque I looked for in the Great Hall was Hart's. Greatest hockey play-by-play announcer of all time, bar none.

Now I need to go out and look for a case of Tastykake!

This is a nice win. A winning culture starts with winning. Good for the young guys.

This is a nice win. A winning culture starts with winning. Good for the young guys.

Yeah, I don't know where home was for you, OBX, but we took 76 West after the games, right past the Tastycake billboard with the clock, and the guy in a Flyers' jersey whose mechanical arm made the "T for Tastybreak" sign! 

Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes...

download.jpg

Congratulations, baby Hurricanes! I really hope this is a glimpse at the future of the senior team.

Oh, and here's the info you need, OBXer...

http://www.tastykake.com/

Nice story!  When I started to read the last paragraph, I thought you were going to say: "And there in the 'promotional materials' section of The Hall, was one of my magazines, complete with signature" ... Still a cool story.  :)

Nice story!  When I started to read the last paragraph, I thought you were going to say: "And there in the 'promotional materials' section of The Hall, was one of my magazines, complete with signature" ... Still a cool story.   :)

Ha! I'm not even sure I have my own copy anymore. It's gotta be around here somewhere...

BTW, anybody who hasn't been to the Hall, you must go. The Great Hall is killer, but the whole experience is waaaaaaay cool.

Ha! I'm not even sure I have my own copy anymore. It's gotta be around here somewhere...

BTW, anybody who hasn't been to the Hall, you must go. The Great Hall is killer, but the whole experience is waaaaaaay cool.

Agree, and there's more to do in Toronto too.  Worth the trip.

Thought I'd put this here, since this is where our "down the road" prospect talk went, and because this group won that tourney.

I would have thought our top forward prospects that are in Juniors now would be:

Gauthier, Roy, Kuokkanen, and Foegle. Well those guys and Steven Lorentz are are lighting it up.

Here's a link to an article on them and Smallman, Cotton, and goalies Booth, and Hevlig: http://www.canescountry.com/2016/11/14/13624948/carolina-hurricanes-prospect-update-nicolas-roy-janne-kuokkanen-warren-foegele-ohl-qmjhl-ncaa

Here's an except about particularly Roy:

...the group of Nicolas Roy, Janne Kuokkanen, Julien Gauthier, Warren Foegele and Steven Lorentz have played in a total of 26 games. In those 26 games, the group has compiled a staggering 50 points.

Roy has led the way for Chicoutimi, and is currently riding a six-game points streak where he has piled up nine goals and nine assists for 18 points. In November, the Saguenéens captain has 14 points in five games, leading his team to a 5-0 record. His 30 points on the season, 22 of which have come in the last nine games, place him sixth in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s scoring race, five points behind points leader Maxime Fortier, despite Roy playing just 17 games this season.

Yes, you read that right: 9 goals, 18 points, in SIX games.

Edited by remkin

Yeah, I was just doing the same thing.  Great minds think alike and all.....

Just started a Kuokk thread over at In the System . 

I wonder if we could combine all this prospect talk in a sticky thread somewhere?  I spend a good deal of time keeping tabs on the prospects and I know a few others here do as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Good point, that's really where I should have probably put this too.

I guess we have the In the System area, which would seem to be the same as prospects. We could break it down into Forwards, and D and goalies.

We could start a Prospects thread here in Hurricanes Talk, but would make the In the System area redundant.

I'm thinking I just should have posted this over there probably.

Helvig put up crazy numbers last year, 2.13/.929 in 27 games. Those stats have pulled back a little, but through 17 this season he's at .264 and .910. Pretty solid, especially in the O.

Edited by top-shelf-1

As we struggle to find our footing with this year's team, it's really nice to reflect on the Traverse City win, and see that the same group of prospects are coming along very nicely.