The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

World Cup.....of hockey

For all your World Cup of Hockey discussion needs.

Here's the NHL's website:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/worldcup/2016

Here's what the winner's flowers go in:

50829106-the-world-cup-of-hockey-trophy-

Where exactly this trophy ends up if North America or Europe wins? Not sure. One exciting thing we could discuss.

From a Canes point of view we have both of our "so new they haven't arrived" Finnish forwards: Aho and Teravainen to watch (Aho is much simpler to spell), and our own coach Bill Peters assistant coaching the mighty Canadian team.

Starts September 8th.

Eight teams:

6 actual 'world" countries:

Canada

Finland

Russia

Sweden

USA

and two made up teams:

Europe

North America: 23 years old or younger

Rosters are here:

https://www.nhl.com/news/world-cup-of-hockey-rosters/c-280810684?tid=278386054

So anyways I guess ESPN is picking up these games so it would be good to get a look at TT/Aho.

Edited by remkin

I know, but...

Traverse City begins at the same time and goes from the 16th through the 20th.  If this was on ESPN (  :pray:   ) my meh.5 value would increase to 9-10 :banana: .

Dadgum, it looks like it's not. :shakeshead:

College football :love: mixed in with some dove hunting :hide: will fill the time between now and then very nicely :usa:

Go Dawgs. :yippee:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'd love to see the Traverse City tourney

I'd like to see it as well, so many interesting players this year . . . 

One good thing about the World Cup: even though we'll only see 2 new Cane yutes when Finland plays, they're likely key players this year and we'll be seeing them against the best in the world. So we'll get an immediate idea as to where they stand against NHL competition, as compared to Traverse City, where you need to extrapolate.  

One good thing about the World Cup: even though we'll only see 2 new Cane yutes when Finland plays, they're likely key players this year and we'll be seeing them against the best in the world. So we'll get an immediate idea as to where they stand against NHL competition, as compared to Traverse City, where you need to extrapolate.  

All the more reason i'd love to see them take advantage of the entire Canes camp so they're not a step behind everyone else on the Canes 'system' when they finally arrive.  Of course i think Peters will be a key to the Canes as well so...

I'd love to watch Traverse City, but can't, so I think as the World Cup starts and I can actually DVR games on ESPN, I might find myself getting more into it.

Also the clips of Traverse City reveal the thing is practically in a rec rink with a bunch of people standing around the glass. Or least that's my memory of it.

This will be an event of sorts.

..... so I think as the World Cup starts and I can actually DVR games on ESPN, I might find myself getting more into it.....

.....This will be an event of sorts.

or maybe not.  I can hardly wait for ESPN to explain "offside" to us among the many things we uninformed don't know about hockey.  Sprinkle in a little about how things are really going to catch on in 10 years and my day/month will be made.

Where's Chuck when we need him?

Article about the World Cup of Hockey from TheHockeyNews blog:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/problem-for-wcoh-is-hockey-world-is-getting-smaller-not-larger/

Not sure I totally agree with the article. Yes, I can see how the hockey world is getting smaller in some ways - the sport isn't even as popular in Canada as it used to be, as other sports grow in popularity. Yes, the USA is putting more effort into the National Team Development Program and finding players from non-hockey areas (Auston Matthews from AZ, for example).

However, one of the comments on the article makes much more sense - the reason the WCOH has two teams called Europe and NA 23&Under instead of adding Slovakia, Slovenia or another European team is because 1) it's not an IIHF event, so the promoters don't have to abide by IIHF rankings, and 2) they think a team Europe with Anze Kopitar and a North America 23 & Under team with Connor McDavid are more marketable to the North American audience than Slovakia and Switzerland....

Bottom line - it's a made-up tournament with made-up teams to cater to a North American audience.

NHL.com: We have talked so much about the younger players on the team, but Sebastian Aho has been forgotten a little bit because he appears to the No. 13 forward. Have you seen him play? And what are your thoughts on him?

Selanne: I was here for the [2016] World Juniors, and if somebody said he was the best player for Finland in the tournament, it was pretty close. He was unbelievable. Same thing in the Finnish League. He was actually a better player than Laine or [Jesse] Puljujarvi. I'm expecting he is going to be really good hockey player anywhere he plays. [Tuesday] in practice he was playing defense, and if you didn't know he was a forward you would say, wow, he's a good defenseman.

Excerpt from an interview NHL.com did with Teemu Selanne about his role as a Team Finland advisor to their World Cup team.  Pretty high praise for Aho.

https://www.nhl.com/news/teemu-selanne-talks-world-cup-team-finland/c-281602798?tid=278386054

Edited by coastal_caniac

I guess Finland and Sweden are playing right now a preliminary game. Not sure if it's on anywhere.

The game has about 7 min left, Aho not playing and TT has one shot in about 10 minutes TOI.

Edit: So Finland won in OT, TT -1 with 12 min ice time. Seemingly 4th line minutes. Aho DNP.

Edited by remkin

I'm totally fine if Aho doesn't play. The last thing we need is another injury. 2 years in a row we have had a bad injury from the get go. Here is to hoping that the 3rd time is a charm.

I'm dealing with sling TV as our house is being built. So far on the NFL network any game that airs goes off of sling TV and I can't watch it. It's discouraging. I assume the NHL network will be the same....

Edited by bluedevil58

Sami Hoffren @shoffren

Sebastian Aho will get his chance on Tuesday against USA. Skated today in Finland's third line with Filppula and Lehterä. Teräväinen out.

Sounds like Aho will get his shot tomorrow.  Go SeaBass!!

Edited by coastal_caniac