The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

World Cup.....of hockey

I thought Aho had a pretty good game for his first time against NHL regulars on the smaller ice.

He won one-on-one battles, was very responsible through the neutral zone and had some nice plays getting the puck our of the d-zone with speed.  He seemed to position himself well on both ends of the ice and was around the net when he needed to be.  Very good support player when he saw his team mates in trouble.  He was elevated and got some shifts with Laine toward the end of the game. 

I wish there were some highlights of his shifts from last night.

Peters is going to love what he has to work with, but he probably already knows that. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Team Finland  didnt wake up till last 5 minutes, Aho looked ok, most of team lack luster till last  5   minutes.. He covers his position well.

I do wish TT wasn't also a scratch.

I thought Aho looked ok too. Not great, but few on Finland did. Aho and TT are basically 4th liners, and at least Aho did not get PP time, which really cuts up his ice time. His first game, smaller ice, I'm sure Aho will be fine if he can get a bit more ice time.

I'm glad both guys are there, but hope they can get a more prominent role at some point. I think both guys are good on the PP.

Edited by remkin

I do wish TT wasn't also a scratch.

I thought Aho looked ok too. Not great, but few on Finland did. Aho and TT are basically 4th liners, and at least Aho did not get PP time, which really cuts up his ice time. His first game, smaller ice, I'm sure Aho will be fine if he can get a bit more ice time.

I'm glad both guys are there, but hope they can get a more prominent role at some point. I think both guys are good on the PP.

Wish granted. Aho has been elevated onto the top line with Barkov and Laine. I hope he gets some PP time as he is just a surgeon on the PP.

I thought Aho had a pretty good game for his first time against NHL regulars on the smaller ice.

He won one-on-one battles, was very responsible through the neutral zone and had some nice plays getting the puck our of the d-zone with speed.  He seemed to position himself well on both ends of the ice and was around the net when he needed to be.  Very good support player when he saw his team mates in trouble.  He was elevated and got some shifts with Laine toward the end of the game. 

I wish there were some highlights of his shifts from last night.

Peters is going to love what he has to work with, but he probably already knows that. 

:)

If anyone commented on this already, sorry, but seemed like a good place to put this:

NHL.com interviewing Teemu Selanne a few days ago:

NHL.com: We have talked so much about the younger players on the team, but Sebastian Aho has been forgotten a little bit because he appears to the No. 13 forward. Have you seen him play? And what are your thoughts on him?

Selanne: I was here for the [2016] World Juniors, and if somebody said he was the best player for Finland in the tournament, it was pretty close. He was unbelievable. Same thing in the Finnish League. He was actually a better player than Laine or [Jesse] Puljujarvi. I'm expecting he is going to be really good hockey player anywhere he plays. [Tuesday] in practice he was playing defense, and if you didn't know he was a forward you would say, wow, he's a good defenseman.

Nice.

Then, just to add to the hype, TSN has projected Aho to put up 42 points.

Edited by remkin

Thanks for posting the shift-by-shift, donwake. That kid thinks the game, and his calmness under pressure is unbelievable.

Glad he's been elevated--and sorry he's been elevated. More exposure. 

Whirled Cup of Tchotchkes.

I put this up on the previous page, Post #16.  There was discussion.

Ah, sorry. That' what happens when I posts something in the middle of a night shift. I guess it was good news anyways.

Did we cover the TSN 42 point projection too?

Ah, sorry. That' what happens when I posts something in the middle of a night shift. I guess it was good news anyways.

Did we cover the TSN 42 point projection too?

Oh, I missed that one.  42 points?  I love Aho's upside but I was thinking 25-30 would be a great first season.

Yeah, there is serious Aho love out there. I keep hearing his name come up in various places.

I agree breaking 40 points at 19 years old would be a high achievement.

Edited by remkin

Yeah, there is serious Aho love out there. I keep hearing his name come up in various places.

I agree breaking 40 points at 19 years old would be a high achievement.

Looking forward to watching that Laine-Barkov-Aho line.  Aho goes from healthy scratch to the first line in two days. 

Looks like he skates pretty smooth is my comment, almost like the Joni glide...

Ah, you mean the upright skating style?  Or the glide before closing considerable ground.  The kid can turn it on.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I was worried that we might be building up our expectations a bit too much about how much Aho might immediately contribute.  But now I'm wondering if maybe it's Teravain that we might be expecting a bit too much from right off the bat.  Not that he'll be a bust, just not immediate live up to what are turning into some pretty high expectations.  I haven't seen him play, so I'm going from what I hear and read.  I hear he's got the tools, but looking at his last seasons stats: decent, but on a very good team where he was presumably seeing the bottom of the other teams D.  I know he just turned 22yo, and I expect him to grow and improve.  I'm just wondering if maybe his bigger contributions might come a bit more down the line.  I keep wondering: what didn't the Hawks see in him that let them basically gave him away in exchange for a salary dump?  Again, not expecting a bust, just wondering if maybe at the moment he'll end up being more 3rd line material than 1st . . . 

I can't comment on TT but I know there are guys here that also follow the Hawks closely and probably have a handle on it.  My take is that he is a project and was put all over the place last year, but has the skill and talent in the right environment.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not about him being him scratched in September in a one-out hockey tournament?

I would hope for/expect 35 points and no regression.  I would also expect he can help out on the PP, 3 on 3, and shootouts.

Edited by coastal_caniac

He is 3rd line material. Hawks fans claim he is soft and disappeared several times throughout the season. That is why I am dumb founded that Francis didn't do.m9re this off season. Anything past 35 - 40 points is blind optimism. I have seen several people on here who claim he will hit 65 points this season without proof to back it up. I have also seen some claim that he will start to be a healthy scratch by December 1st due to not fitting into Peter's style.

Edited by bluedevil58

He is 3rd line material. Hawks fans claim he is soft and disappeared several times throughout the season. That is why I am dumb founded that Francis didn't do.m9re this off season. Anything past 35 - 40 points is blind optimism. I have seen several people on here who claim he will hit 65 points this season without proof to back it up. I have also seen some claim that he will start to be a healthy scratch by December 1st due to not fitting into Peter's style.

BD, you do realize last season was TT's 1st full season right? If we'd branded some of our players based off low point totals their 1st season, other teams would've enjoyed Staal, Faulk and Hanifin.

And branding someone a 3rd liner based on their 1st year is just as extreme as people calling him a 65pt player in my eyes.

Oh yeah, and Francis kinda did do more this offseason, he signed a guy in Stempniak who scored 51pts last year.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

35 points his first season while enjoying having Hossa, Toews, Kane, and Ladd on his team. It's highly likely he might not even hit 35 points this year. Like I said, I was not impressed with what I saw. Yes - it was one game but he was also scratched there after. Sign of what is to come? We will see. I will hold reservations until 20 games in. Right now it's all speculation and my opinion mind you.

But I also want to ask you this important question:  Which scenario is more realistic?  

Scenario A:  TT continues to develop and scores 45 - 65 points this season,  45 points - realistic, 65 points?  Now that is like blind folding yourself and trying to hit a bulls eye on the dart board.

Scenario B:  TT benefited from playing on a team with super stars in Kane and Toews as well as good support players in Hossa and Ladd.  TT struggles to get to 35 points this season due to being a product of a great system.

Now one can argue that he never saw time with Toews or Kane so that argument is irrelevant. But one can also argue that the opposing teams focused more on shutting down Kane and Toews thus leading to more scoring opportunities for TT due to going up against 2nd or 3rd pairings.  As long as he doesn't regress we should be "OK".

Edited by bluedevil58

35 points his first season while enjoying having Hossa, Toews, Kane, and Ladd on his team. It's highly likely he might not even hit 35 points this year. Like I said, I was not impressed with what I saw. Yes - it was one game but he was also scratched there after. Sign of what is to come? We will see. I will hold reservations until 20 games in. Right now it's all speculation and my opinion mind you.

But I also want to ask you this important question:  Which scenario is more realistic?  

Scenario A:  TT continues to develop and scores 45 - 65 points this season,  45 points - realistic, 65 points?  Now that is like blind folding yourself and trying to hit a bulls eye on the dart board.

Scenario B:  TT benefited from playing on a team with super stars in Kane and Toews as well as good support players in Hossa and Ladd.  TT struggles to get to 35 points this season due to being a product of a great system.

Now one can argue that he never saw time with Toews or Kane so that argument is irrelevant. But one can also argue that the opposing teams focused more on shutting down Kane and Toews thus leading to more scoring opportunities for TT due to going up against 2nd or 3rd pairings.  As long as he doesn't regress we should be "OK".

For the record, I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying, as he could very well end up 2nd/3rd line winger, I just said a player's future shouldn't be preset based off his 1st season.  And you are correct in saying people shouldn't assume he'll put up 65pts (although i didn't see anybody say it, but i'll take your word for it).  But what I'm about to do is put his season in perspective:

His time with Kane/Hossa/Toews was extremely limited.  Kane played the vast majority of his minutes with Panarin and Anisimov. Panarin's emergence allowed for more line flexibility. They wanted TT on the 3rd line to spread out the scoring, kinda like how we use Skinner here.  I don't think he spent much time if any with Ladd, as he was brought in with 25 games left in the season.

Also, I don't know if you've seen the stats, but outside of the Kane/Anisimov/Panarin line, that team had a really really down year offensively.  I actually predicted them to be a bubble team going into last season because they lost a bunch of good players last offseason.  Toews only had 58pts, which was his lowest offensive production since the lockout year.  TT actually outscored Hossa last year, although Hossa missed 18 games.  So it's not like all their big guns were lighting it up too.

Going forward, after doing a bit of mental math, this is how I project we will use our lineup:

Skinner/Rask/Stempniak

Nestrasil/Staal/Nordstrom

Aho/Lindholm/TT

Bickell/McClement/Stalberg

I would imagine TT will have a better output offensively because he'll play being playing the majority of his minutes with more skill guys than guys like Shaw and Panik.  Like I said, I'm not sure what to expect out him, since he'll probably be paired with a rookie and a guy who hasn't posted 40pts himself.  Regardless, I think we can all agree that he will be better than Terry/Gerbe/Malone.

I may be the one you saw say that (on another site). Just to clarify what I said and my belief...after watching TT's performance the first two games of the WHC, I thought he played a style of hockey that, while active, is not very physical. In fact, he seems to avoid the corners and walls so much that he almost never came into contact with anyone. I think that was limiting his effectiveness. Given Peters propensity to talk about "sandpaper", "grit" and the "dirty areas"...this seems to be a problem that TT may have with the coaching staff. Now, I don't think he is going to be in the press box regularly as a 13th forward, but what I meant by my statement which you seem to have seen is that he will be given a chance to "reflect on his effort" as Versteeg was in December of last year. If he gets the lesson, then I don't think it will continue. We'll see if I'm right in a month or so...

Edited by MinJaBen

There is no doubt that TT is unproven. But then again, there is evidence at the NHL level that he has the skill set. Aho has just about destroyed every league or tournament he's been in, but still has no NHL time.

TT has some past history that suggests offense (nearly a ppg in Finnish league, 15 points in 7 game in World Juniors), but the thing that got people's attention was 2014-15, during the playoffs where he put up 10 points in 18 games and looked very much the part in doing it.

TT is a playmaker. His goal totals have never really been that high. But playmakers can compile a lot of points. I don't know about 65, but pushing 50 would be amazing for a guy currently slated for our third line. I'd also re think the "just a third liner" thing, because most teams are desperately trying to find a third line that can score, and in many ways, our third line is one of the most exciting things about this team. Very few teams actually DO have a third line that can score, and those that do, have generally done pretty well.

Projecting any player's point totals for a given year is risky business. I can personally attest to that. Who would have projected that Eric Staal would go from a 90 point projected lock out year and a 70 point next year to: 64,54, 41?

All I can say is having watched the guy a few times, he is one of those guys who ooze skill.

There a gritty players and there are skill players, and sometimes some combination, but you don't need everyone on the team to be gritty. Peters knows this too. Patrick Kane has little to no grit. I'd take him though.

Also, everyone talks about team identity being so important. Well it's pretty clear that our identity will be the opposite of smash mouth. We will possess the puck and play fast. Thing is, that' what is winning these days. And fun to watch.

We got TT for nothing. He may not be everything we hope or he may be. If he is, it will be one of the biggest heists in recent NHL history. If he's not, we lose a couple of middling draft picks.

I don't know about 65 points, but I think he's going to produce way more than last year. Just a guess of course.

To me the whole TT argument is pointless for two reasons: (1) BP has already said he'll be on the 3rd line, and (2) we're working toward having three scoring lines and a shutdown fourth.

The lines raleighcaniac posted are what they are likely to be barring another move in the forward ranks, which at this point seems unlikely. TT is the weakest of the top nine? So what? He's also entering just his second year in the NHL. If he weren't here, PDG would be the weakest in the top nine--and who would be complaining? Not me--but what I would be worried about is who comes in when a guy gets hurt? 

This was a depth move. It gives us bona-fide NHL-grade options when injuries to the top nine occur--instead of Zach Boychuk.

The plan is obvious: Put TT with two guys who match his speed and have great hands and hope the sum of their parts is something special. Last time I checked, that's what trying different line combos is for. The fact that he comes from a system similar to ours and will be playing with two fellow Europeans increases the odds it might work.

TT's scratch in this (meaningless) tournament is meaningless. If he's a third-liner here, of course he's an extra on a talent-rich team like Finland. That has nothing to do with his standing on this roster and everything to do with his place in the scope of Finland's national team. Aho was scratched for Game One. So what? I'd prefer they're both scratched the rest of the way. We already know they're good and where we want them, and this team is so injury snake-bit that running them out there in this goofy tournament at all is just tempting fate, IMO.