The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

World Cup.....of hockey

So it does appear the TT is drawing back into the 4th line, and Aho in as well vs. Sweden. Aho is on the "first line", but neither on the PP.

Here's a recent article on TT http://thehockeywriters.com/teravainen-will-be-tested-with-carolina/

The article talks about him needing to add a few pounds. Wonder if he has?

I still think Aho and TT getting playing time at this speed and level before camp will help them.

I still think Aho and TT getting playing time at this speed and level before camp will help them.

Agreed.  And count me as one who isn't too concerned that they miss a game or two - i figure every night they get off in this tournament is a night that don't need off once the season starts.  Especially Aho, who hasn't really had any offseason whatsoever.

The USA hockey strategy fails them again.

Hire the worst coach in the league to stress physical play and blocked shots against All-Star competition that's built on speed and skill.

Wake up Merica.

Hire the worst coach in the league to stress physical play and blocked shots against All-Star competition that's built on speed and skill.

Wake up Merica.

My exact thoughts every time they showed Torts behind the bench

The problem with being on any Torts-coached team is that it's not about the team--it's about Torts. I doubt Hanifin or Faulk will ever realize how lucky they were to have "missed" this "opportunity." This whole tournament is a joke.

Wake up Merica.

(not directed at you personally, coastal, your post just highlighted the issue)

Remember way back, when some were debating the relative merits of size and physicality vs. speed and skill when it came to where the game was headed?  Oh wait, that wasn't way back . . . :P

Edited by LakeLivin

Quick? Really, was every other goalie drunk, comatose, or deported? Read Phil Kessel's tweet in response to the loss. Classic.

I question all of Torts' choices. Sure, he only had the players that he was given. Even so, it seemed odd to me that after the loss in the first game, his one change was to put in Byfuglien. Who then gets turned inside-out by Duchene on his first goal.

I mean, fergawdssake, you've got Ben Bishop on the bench - he's somehow gonna give up more goals than did Quick? I'd have given Bishop the start against Canada, myself.

Torts said before the game yesterday that he had no problem shortening the bench if guys weren't making plays. How short did the bench get in the third period? By that time, I gave up and turned off the TV.

And Phil Kessel's tweet wasn't anywhere near as much of a burn as I expected. It was good, yeah, in calling out USA Hockey for not putting him on the team, but didn't even address how poorly the team played or was coached.

Edited by JonKerfoot

Yeah Lake, speed is the killer. Just look at team NA. The trick of course is skill at speed. The fact that LA has won with a heavy game may have set a bunch of GM's back trying to find that. But most cup winners win with a fast skilled game. Even the "heavy" teams that have won: LA, Boston, have more skill that 80% of the league. But Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit and yes, Carolina, have 7 of the last 11 cups with a fast, speed game. And don't forget Tampa constantly knocking on the door with speed and skill out the wazoo.

Now that no one could keep up with Pittsburgh, everyone wants to play fast, but Francis and Peters have been building us to play fast all along.

Thing is, despite our fixation with size, (and Francis has indeed tried to add size), Francis himself said when if first took over the team, that he valued speed over size. He said you want a guy who wants to play, and you want speed, and if desire, speed, and skill are equal, you take the bigger guy.

Watching Finland vs Sweden, Aho was now prominent and TT really has some high skill moments. Both are slick and can play at high speed. Same can be said for our Champion prospects as a group.

Peters has them playing that Detroit, fast transitions, game that plays fast. If it all comes together, it could be surprisingly good. I know it may sound crazy, but I keep thinking that in some ways, having the privileged, older, slower Eric Staal, off the team could actually lift a weight off. 

I think in some ways this is why I'm so desperate to see Jordan with full buy in. Because really he's the only guy left on the team that could avoid a lot of personal accountability with big deal and full NTC. He is not like his brother, and will give it on the ice, but if he did buy in fully and become a leader, it could really work wonders, and the rest of the team of young, fast, accountable players playing the coach's system could really go fast and lift off.

Edited by remkin

I love that we've got some big, fast guys in the system. And I love that Aho slipped to where we could take him in the 2nd round, which I still believe was due in part to NHL execs lagging behind the changing dynamics in the game.  I don't think that would have happened a year later. 

I've made this point before, but we have really been on a hot streak with second round picks. As a group second rounders make a decent NHL career about 1 in 4. Admittedly we've picked most in the top half, which may be closer to 1 in 3, but still, depending on McGinn, we almost never miss lately...and, while it's early, Kuok looked really good out there a lot of the time in Traverse City, so I'm thinking the streak continues.

Edited by remkin

On another note, during the Finland - Sweden game they put up the line of Laine - Barkov - Aho and said this is the face of the top of team Finland for the future. Considering that Laine and Barkov were #2 overall picks....pretty, pretty good for us. The announcers also kept calling that their big offensive line and calling out the coach for not getting them out there more.

Edited by remkin

Kessel's quip is funny but he just had surgery so when you break it down it doesn't even make sense whether he made the team or not he'd still be at home.

Russia eliminates Finns and the Whirled Cup of Tchotchkes seems poised for the Canadian triumph it was so carefully engineered to ensure.

Here's hoping our boys TT and SeaBass were on the first plane to Raleigh and are lacin' em up this morning at PNC.

Russia eliminates Finns and the Whirled Cup of Tchotchkes seems poised for the Canadian triumph it was so carefully engineered to ensure.

Here's hoping our boys TT and SeaBass were on the first plane to Raleigh and are lacin' em up this morning at PNC.

I'm good with them having a day or two of rest since Peters is still off jamming with his side-project but glad theirs broke up so they can prepare for the season with everyone else.

I completely lost interest win Team North America was eliminated. 

It was short lived but I started having hopes to see an 80 Miracle team in my own life time.