The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JonKerfoot

Parros joins DPS?

Saw this on NHL.com just now...

https://www.nhl.com/news/george-parros-joins-nhl-department-of-player-safety/c-281600748

Is this a case of the fox guarding the henhouse? Parros played 474 games in his career and scored all of 36 points while accumulating over 1,000 penalty minutes.

I get that he's an intelligent guy - four years at Princeton, economics major, yada yada. My question is - does it make sense for the NHL anymore to say "we don't want to take the physicality out of the game" when that physicality leads to injurious hits (legal or not)?

Edited by JonKerfoot

Parros has at least 2 NHL concussions on his record, wonder if their trying to make him happy for fear if he's too broke or bored he'd start in on the suing. 

I don't see what a goon has to offer in terms of player safety. It's pretty much hypocritical. 

Parros has at least 2 NHL concussions on his record, wonder if their trying to make him happy for fear if he's too broke or bored he'd start in on the suing. 

I don't see what a goon has to offer in terms of player safety. It's pretty much hypocritical. 

It is amusing how many goons have degrees from major universities.

It is amusing how many goons have degrees from major universities.

Smart people who work hard get degrees from major universities.

I believe our own Kevin Westgarth was a Princeton grad, at least I know he was playing there as a senior.

My take is that for some, "goon" is a personality trait (e.g.,Torres).  But for others, it's a role that certain players took on as their only way to make it in the NHL (e.g., Westgarth).  For the latter, it's hard to argue that it wasn't a smart move at the time [with newfound knowledge about the long term effects of head trauma, maybe not so much now]. 

Edited by LakeLivin