The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

Hurricanes Announce Training Camp Schedule

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the schedule for the team’s 2016 training camp, to be held in Raleigh. The team will begin on-ice workouts on Friday, Sept. 23, at 8:30 a.m. All training camp practices are open to the media. Training camp practices are also open to the general public, with the exceptions of Oct. 1, Oct. 2 and Oct. 8. The Oct. 9, practice also will be closed to the public as it is an exclusive practice for Hurricanes Season Ticket Members.

2016 Training Camp Schedule

Edited by remkin

This next week!!! Wow. Its finally getting to be hockey time.

It has been mentioned that the guys playing in the World Cup will transition into training camps way ahead of schedule in terms of getting ready for game speed. Some guys are long time NHL vets so the comment is that it basically won't really matter to them.

But I am thinking for guys like Aho and Teravainen it could be a major leg up to arrive in camp having not only been playing games, but very high level "best on best" games. I would predict that those two really stand out in camp and early pre-season. I do wonder how so much hockey will affect Aho by the back half of the season, but up front I think it will help. None of our first 10 games are vs. teams that are better than the teams they are facing in the World Cup.

Edited by remkin

I kind of touched on this before, but I got to thinking about it again with Tolchinsky doing well yesterday.

Rask is kind of the model for constant development and improvement over time. I think it fair to say that last year was his "breakout" year. Now that is not to say that it is his peak year at all. Forwards usually peak around 27, so Rask's best years are likely still to come, but he had a 50 point season, which is very solid production, so that is an "arrival" at least, if not a breakout.

So who is 22 or near 22 this year?

Most notably, Lindholm is 21 as I write.

Tolchinsky is 21

PDG and McGinn 22, and in the draft after Rask.

Zykov is 21 and drafted two years after Rask.

Teraravainen is 22.

These are the main guys, age-wise who are on the doorstep. We have a bunch of really nice prospects a step or two from the doorstep, but those are the guys most likely to be on the cusp. For some the cusp is NHL or not, for some it is taking another big productivity step. This is reason to expect more from Lindy, TT, and PDG especially.

Zykov at 21 is probably a year away, but note, that Tolchinsky is only 3 months older than Zykov. So probably those guys get two more years.

So if Zykov and Chin get two more years, and TT and PDG and Lindholm have presumably made it already, it arguably puts all kinds of pressure this year on McGinn. Especially with the young guns pushing up, McGinn is probably the most on the hot seat. He needs to show something this year, or he really starts to risk being a perma AHL player.

Edited by remkin

On Tolchinsky: I just watched his post game interview and it jumped out at me that he seemed really buffed up.  But the camera only had him from the shoulders up, so I can't really tell if he's actually filled out that much.  Anyone else get the same impression?  Or better yet, anyone see him in person at the RCI who can weigh in?  [see what I did there? :P

On McGinn: I could see him ultimately being dealt to a team much shallower in prospects than us. 

In general: I can also see somewhere down the line where RF may need to deal some of our current prospects so as to avoid the risk of exposing them for no return (a la Detroit with Nestrasil or Tampa with Richard Panik).  But if we do get to that stage, wouldn't that be a nice problem to have?   

Edited by LakeLivin

On Tolchinsky: I just watched his post game interview and it jumped out at me that he seemed really buffed up.  But the camera only had him from the shoulders up, so I can't really tell if he's actually filled out that much.  Anyone else get the same impression?  Or better yet, anyone see him in person at the RCI who can weigh in?  [see what I did there? :P

Yeah, I had the same impression...he clearly has been hitting the weights from the shoulders up. His game looked really good last night: good patience, great hands as usual, and he playing within the game vs. trying to do it solo. I am not expecting him to make the NHL team this year, but I do have high hopes that his play in the AHL takes off and he is ready to take a spot next year when we lose a guy to free agency or the expansion draft.

Yeah, I had the same impression...he clearly has been hitting the weights from the shoulders up. His game looked really good last night: good patience, great hands as usual, and he playing within the game vs. trying to do it solo. I am not expecting him to make the NHL team this year, but I do have high hopes that his play in the AHL takes off and he is ready to take a spot next year when we lose a guy to free agency or the expansion draft.

I'll second that on 2 fronts.  One is him generally helping the team.  But also, doing it in a way that brings an added degree of excitement to the Canes.  And I'm not too worried about him playing a style contrary to the teams core values.  Based on everything I've heard, he seems to be buying into the Canes mantra of overall responsible play, and his attitude seems exemplary.  If I recall correctly, he got some OT ice time in his 2nd game with the Canes last year and looked pretty dangerous out there. 

We could eventually end up going from one of the most plodding 3 on 3 teams (E Staal and Hainsey?) to one of the quickest teams (players like Aho, the Smurf, TT, etc.)

I will say this about Tolchinsky's chances. While we're pretty full up front to start, this is a team that needs:

1. 5 on 5 goals

2. PP goals

3. OT goals.

If we aren't getting them with the current line up, or if there are injuries, he may get a good look.

Edited by remkin

I will say this about Tolchinsky's chances. While we're pretty full up front to start, this is a team that needs:

1. 5 on 5 goals

2. PP goals

3. OT goals.

If we aren't getting them with the current line up, or if there are injuries, he may get a good look.

This is just the point I was making in discussing TT on another thread. The odds are in his favor that he takes the next step, but for the first time in years, we've got bonafide forwards and not enough openings for all of them. The competition at camp this year will be amazing, but even better is the fact that if the guys who win jobs don't produce, the motivation their replacements will have to stick, and their own to get back, will be greater than it's arguably ever been, certainly more than a any point in recent history. That's really key, and it's happened in just two years' time.

This is just the point I was making in discussing TT on another thread. The odds are in his favor that he takes the next step, but for the first time in years, we've got bonafide forwards and not enough openings for all of them. The competition at camp this year will be amazing, but even better is the fact that if the guys who win jobs don't produce, the motivation their replacements will have to stick, and their own to get back, will be greater than it's arguably ever been, certainly more than a any point in recent history. That's really key, and it's happened in just two years' time.

Absolutely agree, top. I feel a longer post coming on...

I think the question of how high end our talent can be is an open one, but this team has not been deeper in a long time. Not just our top 13 forwards, but our guys in the system.

Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner, Victor Rask, and I'm going to add Elias Lindholm, are locks for 40 points or more, and core.

Personally I think Teravainen is pretty close to a lock also, though it is projecting, and NHL.com projeceted 40 for Aho.

Stempniak could come in from 35-55, but should be at least a solid contributer.

Then we have the unique situation of Nesty and Nordstrom being better players than their points and meshing so well w/ Jordan.

Then finally Aho, should be able to at least hit 35 points by just about any estimation, and over 40 per NHL.com.

This gives us a really deep top 9. But wait, there's more:

PDG: This is a guy whose growth reminds me of Rask. Never really an elite prospect, never killed it at any lower level, but just seems to have game and the ability to keep raising his game at every level. His .41 ppg (34 point pace), was his first NHL half season. At 22, the best bet would be continued improvement. If so, we end up with a 40 point guy as our number 10 forward.

So top nine plus one is very solid. Can't remember that in years.

But wait, there's still more. The 4th line looks better than ever too. It does not seem like a crazy projection that a fully healthy big bodied Bickell could at least be an elite 4th liner, as would Victor Stahlberg. I'm not sure what happened to McClemement last year. His 11 points and -17 were not good, even for the 4th line. To me he is the weakest link of the forwards, and I wanted to keep Nash (28 point pace). But maybe there's something we don't know. McClement put up 21 and -7 the previous year and he has played mostly with AHL wingers so maybe if he gets a couple of good wingers he can get back to that.

(I wonder if we might not take a look at Derek Ryan as 4th line center. I know he's a small guy, and not the typical 4th line guy, but he led the Checkers (by a good bit) with 55 points, and plus 5. If two of Bickell, Stahlberg, or PDG are productive wingers, we could have a 4th line that could really actually score).

But anyways, we have a legit top 13 forwards if Bickell can play, and 12 if not. There are no Terry's or Bowman's or the like in that lineup.

And as you mentioned, the prospect pool is deep too. Again, it remains to be seen how many can be elite, especially since we're already putting our best prospect in the line up with Sea Bass, but still, even below Sea Bass:

Roy, Gauthier, Kuokannen, Zykov and Sareela really seem to be legit really good prospects. Then we still have guys who could surprise and are due like McGinn and Tolchinsky. Or a few "don't count them outs": Poturalski, Wallmark, Foegle.

There is a ton of depth. Will anyone break elite? We shall see. This year, I'd bet on Lindy, Teuravainen, Rask, or Jordan Staal. (I think Skinner was pretty much elite last year, and need to keep it going). Seems like Aho has it in him, and maybe Gauthier and Kuok, but mostly likely a year or two off. and possibly Roy too. So in a couple of years Gauthier, Roy, Kuok, and Aho are all decent bets to be dynamic NHL players.

In closing...I think we are going to surprise a lot of people. This team will play fast and hard, and push Peter's system another notch up. There simply are no more uninspired vets up front, and as you've mentioned, if someone can't bring it, there is someone else to get a shot. And we could really roll 4 lines at teams.

And while we may not have that protypical top line, we can neutralize their top line with Nest/J/Nord, and then hit you with 2a and 2b, and even possibly throw out a 4th line that could produce like some team's 3rd.

My questions: high end scoring and goaltending.

Edited by remkin

I feel a longer post coming on...

Hey Rem, I won't quote your entire post but I would like to build on it.

For the first time since I can remember I think its pretty safe to say we know who is playing with who.  Skinner with Rask.  Jordan with Nesty and Nordy.  Aho and TT with Lindholm.  Bickell, Mac, and Stalberg.  I guess that leaves Stempniak on the first line.  Maybe it gets shuffled some but Peters was all about finding pairs of guys to stick together.  Then there are two more forward spots. 

Defense is pretty set, so is net.

But what I wanted to say is I hope this results in nothing worse than a .500 October.  A repeat would be so bad in so many ways.

Hey Rem, I won't quote your entire post but I would like to build on it.

For the first time since I can remember I think its pretty safe to say we know who is playing with who.  Skinner with Rask.  Jordan with Nesty and Nordy.  Aho and TT with Lindholm.  Bickell, Mac, and Stalberg.  I guess that leaves Stempniak on the first line.  Maybe it gets shuffled some but Peters was all about finding pairs of guys to stick together.  Then there are two more forward spots. 

Defense is pretty set, so is net.

But what I wanted to say is I hope this results in nothing worse than a .500 October.  A repeat would be so bad in so many ways.

Oh yes. I can't agree more. We need a good start more than ever.

This is where I hope Lake's point about Peters being away at World Cup is not an issue.

The core knows the system really well, and Stempniak has played for just about every NHL team, but TT and Aho will need to get it down. I really think that TT and Aho playing in the World Cup will help them get a good start though. I worry about Aho later in the year. Heck, I'd just ink in a couple of rest breaks along the way for him.

But a good start would be key not only because it always is, but because of our history. I bet interest in the team would build too.

.500 would be absolutely good, but I want to get greedy. I want 7-4-1 over the first 12. Now that would get some interest flowing!

If GMRF had no problem with Peters coaching the World Cup, I'm not really worried about it.  We have other competent staff, and it's not like we are evaluating a bunch of guys as we were last year. 

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 17h17 hours ago

Canes set 57-man training camp roster. Gauthier, Bean among those invited from Traverse City tournament champs. Seven goalies in camp.

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the team's roster for its 2016 training camp. The first on-ice session of training camp will take place at PNC Arena on Friday, Sept. 23, at 8:30 a.m.

Group A & B Roster

Looking at that roster there are a couple things that pop out to me.  First, there are only about 6-7 guys in each group that are a gurantee to wear a Canes sweater.  That's a lot of open positions it seems for the young guys to battle out.  It is a little concerning though that there are really no veteran names that impress besides maybe:  J. Staal, Faulk, Skinner.  The rest are either coming into their sophomore year and have to prove they weren't a fluke their rookie year, or they are 20-40 point scoring guys that will "hopefully" step it up.  After that its guys that have never played an NHL game in their life. I'm not saying I'm down on the roster but man it sure is young and a lot of stuff up in the air.  Could go either way this year.

Second thing is:  We have a lot of big boys, especially group A:  Fleury  6'3 221(hope he makes the team this year, he's got the talent and now the size), Zykov 6'1 224, Gauthier 6'4 225, Roy 6'4 208,  Stalberg 6'3 209 and Bickell I think 6'4 225.  RF said he was going to get the team bigger and he is a man of his word.  At least we are even with the rest of the NHL in size now.

Gonna be a fun camp, I predict a couple of unexpected guys make the roster and have good rookie years.  Here's to hoping Gauthier, Fleury, Aho, and maybe a Poturalski or Kuccanen surprise us and have Calder cup years.   We are gonna need it.

Edited by danimal-ch1

What struck me is that this is without question the deepest camp I've ever seen for the Canes.

I actually don't think there are many spots open at all, knock on wood, barring injury.

There are no forward spots open. There may be one D spot open, but I think Murphy has the inside inner inside track for that due to: 1. NHL time in the bank 2. The team needs more offense from the back 3. We might be lining him up to take the fall on the expansion draft.

We have 12 forwards that can be inked in: J. Staal, Skinner, Lindholm, Rask, Aho, Stempniak, Nordstrom, Nestrasil, Stalberg, Teuravanen, PDG, McClement. I would add Bickell will have every chance on the face of the Earth to at least be a 4th liner give his paycheck, and I would predict he makes the team. Defense: same thing: Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk and Hainsey 5/6 are locks, and Murphy makes 6.

But the depth? Wow. Here is a list of guys who are long shots to make the team out of camp, all of whom have a real shot at an NHL career:

Fleury, McKeown, Gauthier, Bean, McKeown, Kuokkanen, Roy, Zykov, Sareela, then maybe a half notch lower, Tolchinsky, Poturalski, McGinn, Carrick. Then there's the vets: Ryan and Torres and Tenneson. Then there's the mass of guys who still could surprise, and the goalies.

I doubt any of those guys make the team out of camp. But what a lot of nice prospects percolating just below the surface.

My question is the same as always. Which if any of the guys on the roster, and that massive depth rise to elite levels? But prospect depth has never been even close to this good before.

Edited by remkin

What struck me is that this is without question the deepest camp I've ever seen for the Canes.

I actually don't think there are many spots open at all, knock on wood, barring injury.

There are no forward spots open. There may be one D spot open, but I think Murphy has the inside inner inside track for that due to: 1. NHL time in the bank 2. The team needs more offense from the back 3. We might be lining him up to take the fall on the expansion draft.

We have 12 forwards that can be inked in: J. Staal, Skinner, Lindholm, Rask, Aho, Stempniak, Nordstrom, Nestrasil, Stalberg, Teuravanen, PDG, McClement. I would add Bickell will have every chance on the face of the Earth to at least be a 4th liner give his paycheck, and I would predict he makes the team. Defense: same thing: Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk and Hainsey 5/6 are locks, and Murphy makes 6.

But the depth? Wow. Here is a list of guys who are long shots to make the team out of camp, all of whom have a real shot at an NHL career:

Fleury, McKeown, Gauthier, Bean, McKeown, Kuokkanen, Roy, Zykov, Sareela, then maybe a half notch lower, Tolchinsky, Poturalski, McGinn, Carrick. Then there's the vets: Ryan and Torres and Tenneson. Then there's the mass of guys who still could surprise, and the goalies.

I doubt any of those guys make the team out of camp. But what a lot of nice prospects percolating just below the surface.

My question is the same as always. Which if any of the guys on the roster, and that massive depth rise to elite levels? But prospect depth has never been even close to this good befo

I guess there are less spots open than I thought.  I didn't count PDG,Aho,Stalberg,Bickell and TT as guarantees.  I think all those spots are open for the taking by the best  in camp, except maybe Aho who will probably be given a chance even if he has a bad camp.  I figured if you take those names away that leaves 4 forward spots to fight for and 1-2 D spots.   How many players do we carry on the roster opening night?  Probably will end up being 3 out of 5 of those names opening night.

I guess there are less spots open than I thought.  I didn't count PDG,Aho,Stalberg,Bickell and TT as guarantees.  I think all those spots are open for the taking by the best  in camp, except maybe Aho who will probably be given a chance even if he has a bad camp.  I figured if you take those names away that leaves 4 forward spots to fight for and 1-2 D spots.   How many players do we carry on the roster opening night?  Probably will end up being 3 out of 5 of those names opening night.

I would say Stalberg, Aho and TT are pretty much in stone, Stalberg as a designated 4th line vet with upside. Further, Bickell is a big body who we are paying big bucks to. I have to think that at the very least we have him bang on the 4th line.  And PDG is going to have a serious inside track mainly because for a first year player, playing on multiple lines, he actually produced.

PDG played 41 games and scored 7 goals and 17 points. That's .415 ppg. For comparison, putting PDG's first year against the following players' BEST year with at least 20 games:

PDG: .41 ppg

Terry: .35

Bowman: .17

Boychuk: .19

Riley Nash: .36

If PDG upped that to just .49 ppg, that's 40 points.

He's of the right age, has 41 NHL games under his belt.

If Aho wasn't such a lights out phenom, PDG would be a near lock for top 9, I think.

Edited by remkin