Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

Recommended Posts

Even though technically the Sabres are the home team, the Canes should be big crowd favorites since the Smurf played 3 years in the Soo and he was extremely popular from what I hear.  Here's hoping he gives them something to cheer about before he heads back to Charlotte!

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm not seeing any way we keep PDG off the roster. Brown was also very good. 

 

I liked PDG last year and he's been one of, if not the best forward in the two preseason games I've seen. He also has a little grit to his game, which we need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I liked PDG last year and he's been one of, if not the best forward in the two preseason games I've seen. He also has a little grit to his game, which we need.

No question... now that Terry's gone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top, are you saying that PDG compares to Terry, or more accurately, Terry compares to PDG? Perhaps you are being tongue in cheek, but I don't see your sarcasm emoticon, so can't tell. If not, than I'm going to have to disagree as IMHO, Terry did not bring half of what I've seen in PDG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

top, are you saying that PDG compares to Terry

Inside joke with Kyrule. I once said Terry brought sandpaper. In the end, he brought it to the NHL for approximately one half of one period in one game :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

I liked PDG last year and he's been one of, if not the best forward in the two preseason games I've seen. He also has a little grit to his game, which we need.

 

+1.  And he could be the fastest skater on a fast team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but just saw this article in the N & O about Murphy with this quote:

 

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Ryan Murphy has been slowed by flu-like symptoms, missing training-camp practice Thursday.

Murphy did not play in either of the Canes’ first two preseason exhibition games. He will miss the exhibition game Friday against the Tampa Bay Lightning at PNC Arena.

 

This could explain a slow start. Hopefully he picks it up a few notches.

 

As I type this Chuck is singing the praises of McKeown as being very good in camp and pre season. I still think Murphy gets the nod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but just saw this article in the N & O about Murphy with this quote:

 

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Ryan Murphy has been slowed by flu-like symptoms, missing training-camp practice Thursday.

Murphy did not play in either of the Canes’ first two preseason exhibition games. He will miss the exhibition game Friday against the Tampa Bay Lightning at PNC Arena.

 

This could explain a slow start. Hopefully he picks it up a few notches.

 

As I type this Chuck is singing the praises of McKeown as being very good in camp and pre season. I still think Murphy gets the nod.

 
 
 
 
Houston  We  Have  A  Problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:
1 hour ago, remkin said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but just saw this article in the N & O about Murphy with this quote:

 

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Ryan Murphy has been slowed by flu-like symptoms, missing training-camp practice Thursday.

Murphy did not play in either of the Canes’ first two preseason exhibition games. He will miss the exhibition game Friday against the Tampa Bay Lightning at PNC Arena.

 

This could explain a slow start. Hopefully he picks it up a few notches.

 

As I type this Chuck is singing the praises of McKeown as being very good in camp and pre season. I still think Murphy gets the nod.

 
 
 
 
Houston  We  Have  A  Problem

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, someone has a problem.... :lol:

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Inside joke with Kyrule. I once said Terry brought sandpaper. In the end, he brought it to the NHL for approximately one half of one period in one game :lol:

 

Sorry, been working odd hours and just saw this or I would have commented earlier.

 

Too funny.

 

I just read the game recap for tonight's game, good to see Lindholm bury one from TT and Aho on the PP. Nice to see a win.

 

Apparently our first PP unit was Lindholm, TT, Aho, Faulk......and Bickell.

 

I'm pretty sure we know where #29 was. I wonder if there is any potential there during the regular season. He is a big-body that is very difficult to move, but can he get the job done? Does he have the hands in close to finish, or can he only provide a screen? Can he contribute 5 on 5? Will he even make the starting roster?

Edited by Kyrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read an article that LInds and Finns is looking good, and last night Chuck commented on Stempniak was working on line one.

 

Also I think that first PP unit will be good.

 

As to Bickell, he's one of the guys I wonder about. It's so hard w/ preseason not televised for the most part. In my mind I have him penciled in on the 4th line, but more and more teams want speed 1-12, so PDG could even grab that. Net front is key to Peters though...

 

Mainly just wanted to make sure the vertical type on these posts is fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, there is still a severe lack of scoring.  This team has had one game where they have scored more than 2 goals.  Defense seems adequate but usually when we bank on winning every night 2-1 or 3-2 it hardly ever pans out.  I know I am sounding like I am beating a dead horse guys but if you look at the salary cap for 2016.  The hurricanes are last in the league in total cap hit.  Furthermore, the only team closest to us in the NJ devils and they spend 7M more than us.  Nobody else is concerned about this?

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kyrule said:

I'm pretty sure we know where #29 was. I wonder if there is any potential there during the regular season. He is a big-body that is very difficult to move, but can he get the job done? Does he have the hands in close to finish, or can he only provide a screen? Can he contribute 5 on 5? Will he even make the starting roster?

 

 

Man if he'll plant himself in front of the net on the power play and provide a screen, i'd be content with that alone - hands that can finish would just be icing.  Has this team had anyone who would consistently go to the front of the net on the PP since Ladd?  To be sure he isn't any worse a 4C option than McClement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McKeown sure made his case last night, if Chuck's (breathy) call was any indication. ("Don Corleone's doing the call?" I wondered, and then he interviews Angelo Bumbacco as if to confirm it.)

 

Can't see Roland filling the seven slot without some AHL time, but he's had a great camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Unfortunately, there is still a severe lack of scoring.  This team has had one game where they have scored more than 2 goals.  Defense seems adequate but usually when we bank on winning every night 2-1 or 3-2 it hardly ever pans out.  I know I am sounding like I am beating a dead horse guys but if you look at the salary cap for 2016.  The hurricanes are last in the league in total cap hit.  Furthermore, the only team closest to us in the NJ devils and they spend 7M more than us.  Nobody else is concerned about this?

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Yes, I'm concerned too.  when looking at our NHL line up, only Jordan Staal, Skinner and maybe Rask are  guaranteed to put up some points. everyone else is a maybe.  We have a no name line up and we may suck really bad this year because of it.  Or, maybe RF's "money ball" approach will surprise us and we will have a really good one.  I am with you though on feeling that we needed at least one more move for a proven top 6 forward and we didn't do it. I was hoping for two.  Instead we got zero. I think RF tried but nobody wanted to come here.  I personally believe we will be competitive and hang around .500 most of the season, maybe make a move or two and make a run for the 8th spot in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Unfortunately, there is still a severe lack of scoring.  This team has had one game where they have scored more than 2 goals.  Defense seems adequate but usually when we bank on winning every night 2-1 or 3-2 it hardly ever pans out.  I know I am sounding like I am beating a dead horse guys but if you look at the salary cap for 2016.  The hurricanes are last in the league in total cap hit.  Furthermore, the only team closest to us in the NJ devils and they spend 7M more than us.  Nobody else is concerned about this?

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/

I don't particularly mind the low cap hit, seeing as though a 3rd of our team are on their ELC, and that's kind of the emphasis on GMRF's philosophy.  If anything, we should be happy we're icing the same level of team without overpaying anyone, and having potential to be better.  As our younger players season, our cap hit will increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Unfortunately, there is still a severe lack of scoring.  This team has had one game where they have scored more than 2 goals.  

Wrong. They beat the Lightning 3-2 and won last night by the same score. That's - count the games with me, BD, "one... two..." - TWO games!

 

#ThisPostBroughtToYouByTheNumber2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

 

Yes.  That is the only game where the Hurricanes have scored 3 times this pre-season.  Some people think a shoot out counts.  I do not.

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Unfortunately, there is still a severe lack of scoring.  This team has had one game where they have scored more than 2 goals.  Defense seems adequate but usually when we bank on winning every night 2-1 or 3-2 it hardly ever pans out.   I know I am sounding likeI am beating a dead horse guys but if you look at the salary cap for 2016.  The hurricanes are last in the league in total cap hit.  Furthermore, the only team closest to us in the NJ devils and they spend 7M more than us.  Nobody else is concerned about this?

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/

 

Well....

 

1) Yes, you're beating a dead horse.

 

2) Maybe we are concerned about PK's self-imposed spending limit, but what can we do about it? Not one thing, as far as I can tell. PK says to the rest of the organization "here's your budget. Build the best team you can within it." It is what it is, and personally, I don't see the point in getting bent out of shape about it. All that's gonna do is raise my blood pressure, and I don't need that.

 

Look, BD58, I understand that you care about the Hurricanes enough to want them to do well, win games, qualify for the playoffs and maybe even compete for another Stanley Cup eventually. I would like to see them do all that, and I daresay everyone who posts here does, too. Why else would we speculate on who the Hurricanes will draft or who they'll try to pick up in free agency or whatever?

 

Right now, though, PK's budget is the historical "immovable object", and until an "irresistable force" comes along to bear against it (and who knows what that would be? Would 250,000 potential fans writing in to PK saying "oh, we'd fill your arena to the rafters every single game if you'd spend more money on players" be enough?), it's not gonna change.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...