The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Okposo was the guy I was eyeballin', but the term was long, and he may not have wanted to sign here anyway (a point missed by most people).

Yeah, spot on.  Buffalo does have 2 outstanding centers for Okposo to play off of, which was the X factor of him going there.

We have sort of had this debate before, so not sure I'm adding much, but when has that ever stopped me? I feel a big post coming on...

I really do get the angst expressed by some on here. This team could use a proven stud up front. I mean that is true. It is a fair point. Also, I've been as critical as anyone on the el cheapo model, and right at the moment, we're pretty cheap.

There are differences though, between this year and past years. The main, most obvious thing, is depth. We don't have that super star elite set of forwards and Dman, that cup teams have (or I should say, we don't yet know if we have that). But GMRF has, in a pretty short window, and without getting super bad enough to be in the running for the McDavids, Eichel's, Matthews', Laine's of the draft world, put together some pretty impressive depth.

That depth is in two forms:

1. Organizational Depth. We have some seriously good prospects outside of our top 9 forwards, and top 6 Dmen. Seriously. I've outlined it a billion times, but both on offense and on defense we have mulitple guys who could end up being really good: Gauthier, Kuokanen, Aho (or PDG if you want to put Aho in the top 9), Zykov, Sareela, Roy and I'd still add McGinn and possibly Foegle and Tolchinsky. Defense? Bean has been voted most likely best overall D man in the WHL ahead of Provorov, then there's Fleury, who's looked good and was the #2 pick of Dmen, and McKeown, who Chuck has gushed about. And Carrick's been good too.

That is more prospect depth than any time in the last 10 years, maybe ever, and by a lot too. AND that's with a lot of would be prospects already performing on the big club.

2.  Team Depth. Again, we don't have a Crosby or McDavid, but we do have the potential for pretty amazing depth all the way to #13 up front. We even added serious depth to the 4th line with Bickell and Stalberg not to mention PDG. Same on D. We may wring hands about Murphy, and we'll have to see how bad or good he is, but 1-5 we are solid on D. 

As to adding that elite forward in UFA? Well I would argue that there were none of those available once Stamkos signed back with Tampa. It will be interesting to see what Okposo does away from Tavares (he was probably the closest to elite). It will be interesting to see what direction Ladd's numbers trend over his deal, but he totaled 46 points last year, so not really elite. Erickson was a guy I liked, but while he put up 63 last year, he put up 47 and 37 the two years prior and is 31.  I will admit, I would have liked us getting Frans Neilsen, but he's 32. Further, as others have pointed out, you are not just getting these guys for one year, you are getting them for 6 years, with NTC's at huge money over 30. Eric Staal, Cory Stillman, and many others have shown that really good players can fall off as they age. Even if you say, yes, but Okposo, or Ladd or Erickson, or Neilson or Lucic would all still have been worth it? Well first, that's 5 guys that 24 other teams also didn't get.

I also have noted that Okposo, Ladd, Erikson, and Lucic, all went to play with star centers. Generally good career moves, that we are not in a position to offer. It takes two to tango and while players respect our organization, we are not there yet in terms of winning and not playing in a 2/3 empty building. It's just not that easy to lure UFA's, especially the bigger names, especially right now.

No, really the only way we can add that near elite, 65 point potential guy was a trade. I know first hand that Francis did make offers. I know he made an offer for Drouin. I have to think he threw something at Hall (but that would have taken Faulk), and probably others. But...

Frances has deliberately, and artfully compiled a fairly impressive list of young players. He is not yet ready to part with any of them for less than at least their perceived eventual value. He has made deals that accumulate these guys, and not given up much of anything aside from expiring contracts (btw he really did try to keep Sekera here, but Sekera was asking for the moon). So now, as we are on the verge of finding out what exactly we have, we need to, well find out what we have. Only then will we know what we need.

Looking at trying to predict the 2016-17 future of this team requires a mental reset. This is a new thing for us. This is a bunch of new, fast, skilled exciting players with high upside, but not proven. For this fan, the "proven" skill of the past has not really panned out, sunk an Island actually. The cup team was not a fluke, it was loaded. But it did not ever really get there again. After the lockout, we had Staal and Semin at nearly a ppg playing with their proven linemate Tlusty. We had proven Skinner, and more. Should have been one of the best first lines in the league, except....well we all know that Semin spit the bit and Staal begain his decline.

It is true that this team has a lot of "ifs". No question. But there are a lot of really high upside players that are young and on the natural upslope of their expected career arcs behind those ifs.

Teravainen, Aho, Lindholm? Those are all high skill guys, with huge upsides. And they are our third line.

We all know the talent on the blueline.

So I like our group. Yes, I just said that phrase. I like our chances to make the playoffs, this year as the team sits, with no changes. BUT, if we need a piece, who has more cap space and potential prospects to offer up to get that piece?

Hey, I'm an optimist every year at this time. But this time does feel different. Better.

Edited by remkin

What is awesome about the NHL is you have 30 teams to choose from.  You don't have to be a Canes fan if you live in this area, as is so eloquently demonstrated at every home game.

If your style is getting lottery lucky, drafting generational players and filling in the gaps with spending to the cap you can be a Pens fan.

If your style is buying everything you see, you can be a Toronto or Rangers fan.

If your style is building from your farm system and draft you can be a Redwings fan.  Or now a Canes fan

Or pick one of the other 26 groups, even the lucky Buffalo fans.

It's a small world, they stream all the games, pick one that suits your style and enjoy it!  Don't waste all your time trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.  Peter Karmanos has a well documented way of running a team.  It should not be a surprise to anyone at this point.

I like this group too, more  speed, and     steps has looked real good, skinner too... LIke Mckeoun   sp?  too, the dman who scored last night.

12 minutes ago, hag65 said:

What is awesome about the NHL is you have 30 teams to choose from.  You don't have to be a Canes fan if you live in this area, as is so eloquently demonstrated at every home game.....

+1

I'm not going to pick a fight with someone wearing that thing on their head Hag65 ;)

15 minutes ago, hag65 said:

What is awesome about the NHL is you have 30 teams to choose from.  You don't have to be a Canes fan if you live in this area, as is so eloquently demonstrated at every home game.

If your style is getting lottery lucky, drafting generational players and filling in the gaps with spending to the cap you can be a Pens fan.

If your style is buying everything you see, you can be a Toronto or Rangers fan.

If your style is building from your farm system and draft you can be a Redwings fan.  Or now a Canes fan

Or pick one of the other 26 groups, even the lucky Buffalo fans.

It's a small world, they stream all the games, pick one that suits your style and enjoy it!  Don't waste all your time trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.  Peter Karmanos has a well documented way of running a team.  It should not be a surprise to anyone at this point.

This might be the best post yet on the matter.  Why continue to whine about the team when there are so many others to choose from?  True, you can't go see the others 41 times a year, but if you're lucky the team you choose will come to Raleigh now and then.

13 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

+1

I'm not going to pick a fight with someone wearing that thing on their head Hag65 ;)

hehehe...  If I only had a helm like that.... in Red of course.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I think we should remember that this is year 4 of what has become apparently a 5 year rebuild. 

Year three actually. Ronnie became GM, and BP was hired, in 2014. (Although the complaining of some might make it feel like BP and RF have had the reins longer!)

Edited by top-shelf-1

There's going to be a year soon where the boys figure out how to be men and unlike so many other teams who have to keep making deals with the devil to get back under the cap, Ronnie will actually be able to afford his team. 

With how deep our defense is, the moment a decent forward whose right for us comes along Ronnie isn't going to have a hard time making an offer someone can't refuse.

El Cheapo, staying the course,  prepping for the future.  Either way more than half of the teams in the NHL make the playoffs.  So that is the expectation .   Anything less is a complete and utter failure .   86 points last season.  Due to the lack of moves I trust RF is confident with who he has so expect a 93 - 98 point season.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Year three actually. Ronnie became GM, and BP was hired, in 2014. (Although the complaining of some might make it feel like BP and RF have had the reins longer!)

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

There's going to be a year soon where the boys figure out how to be men and unlike so many other teams who have to keep making deals with the devil to get back under the cap, Ronnie will actually be able to afford his team. 

With how deep our defense is, the moment a decent forward whose right for us comes along Ronnie isn't going to have a hard time making an offer someone can't refuse.

It was always a 5-year rebuild and I feel pretty good considering we made a 15-point jump in points in year 2.  There is nothing preventing GMRF to use the trade deadline this year to improve the team.  Year 4 is going to be interesting because I fee that will be the year GMRF can move pieces around to his advantage.  Who knows what the team will look like in year 5, but I'm encouraged.

And in my humble opinion this approach by management has fans coming back in good faith that the team is going to be good sooner than later.

Edited by coastal_caniac

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Teams like Buffalo have no idea how lucky they are.  While they don't exactly win, they are not afraid to spend money and have a owner committed to winning because he makes all his money from his gas mines. 

*edit*?? They don't exactly win but have a owner committed to winning.:unsure:

We could always wish for the good old JR days, which would have seen EStaal resigned last summer for 4 years at $6M.

I'm pretty confident GMRF tried to make some moves, but he has taken the Hippocratic Oath to "First, do no harm".  Free agents are free to sign where they want, and he can't make one sign.  To overpay in money or years violates the Hippocratic Oath.  I'm with Coastal on seeing the knowledgeable fans being excited by what they see happening.  If you build it, they will come.  Francis is building it now.  JR was warming up the same Swanson tuna casserole every night.

Oct 7

Today 7:30 PMPNC Arena · Raleigh

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Washington Capitals

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Thoughts, and best wishes to all Caniacs towards the coast. I hope everyone stays safe, and the storm isn't as bad as it might be.

Thanks caniac6. We're right on the probability line for between 10 and 15 inches of rain. We received over 2" yesterday and last night, and ol' Matt is still 500 miles south of here :) 

Peters said Murphy out 3-4 weeks with lower body injury.

The plot thickens.

I personally think this might open the door for McKeown, since he's a right shot and Carrick and Fleury are left. Chuck was very complementary to McKeown the other night. If so, that would be a bit of an unexpected turn.

Edited by remkin

One more from Chip:

Wallmark will get another game, with Bickell and Stalberg.

So, no McClement in the last preseason game....

Is he injured? Do we just want one more look at Wallmark? Or could there be a real shot here for Wallmark?

I'd be surprised, but McClement really struggled last year. Wonder if he could be traded for a draft pick? Probably just giving Wallmark one more look, then down.

Edited by remkin

Also per Chip' phone probably:

Capitals have one more preseason game after this, so no Ovechkin or Backstrom.

CuKuirQWYAAUJp3.jpg
Edited by remkin

10 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Who is exposed to the draft if Murphy remains injured for a considerable amount of time?

This,  Look for a FA signing, a trade, or a Hainsey or Tennyson extension soon, i would think.  The Hurricanes cannot] lose Faulk to the expansion draft for nothing, and they can't risk Murphy's recuperation taking longer than expected, or for another injury, concussion or not, to take him out again.  This raises the stakes.

On a separate note, former (brief)-Icecap Todd Reirden is an assistant coach for the Capitals?  Somehow i missed that.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

Peters says has seen enough of Lindholm at center to be sold on that move. Likes him w/Teravainen, Aho.

Watch that line as things progress. High hopes, I've got, high hopes.

Excellent, I like it. I think that line has a ton of energy that can be very dangerous.