The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

I was a little dubious about the Lindy to center move but it looks like he has settled in there. If Peters is happy who am I to disagree.

Note: The website changes thread has been moved to the FAQ Forum.  Now back to talking hockey:)

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

Peters says has seen enough of Lindholm at center to be sold on that move. Likes him w/Teravainen, Aho

Watch that line as things progress. High hopes, I've got, high hopes.

No kidding. It sounds like there has been chemistry there right from the jump, and you gotta love the speed.

43 minutes ago, remkin said:

Peters said Murphy out 3-4 weeks with lower body injury

In related news, RF to seek trade for slightly overpaid (cap dump) RHD with 2 years left on his contract. (my idea at least)

I can't see Francis letting this be an issue for the season.  I also can't see them planning on using another rookie defenseman this year.  Not that losing Murphy is really losing a veteran, but a capable RHD is a need.  The team can't afford to stumble out of the gate. 

Edited by super_dave_1

7 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

In related news, RF to seek trade for slightly overpaid (cap dump) RHD with 2 years left on his contract. (my idea at least)

I can't see Francis letting this be an issue for the season.  I also can't see them planning on using another rookie defenseman this year.  Not that losing Murphy is really losing a veteran, but a capable RHD is a need.  The team can't afford to stumble out of the gate. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-ducks-need-to-make-deals-to-find-room-for-lindholm-and-rakell-deals

http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-lightning-search-for-cap-relief-as-kucherov-continues-to-sit

EDIT: 5 of the 7 d-men listed for the Ducks on CapFriendly are right-D.

Edited by LakeLivin

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

No kidding. It sounds like there has been chemistry there right from the jump, and you gotta love the speed.

I hope this line works, only concern I have is age and size.  If im opposing coach I'm putting my hardest hitting guys out there to crush these young 170lb kids and take there confidence away at in first couple shifts. TT and Aho both 5'11 and 170-178lbs.  We all know Lindholm is not a physical player.  This lines gonna need some serious protection or we're gonna see some concussions.  

I don't think Lindy intimidates anyone, but he will lay a hit. I just wonder in today's NHL what the value of the whole "protection" thing is. Goons have mostly vanished.

I think maybe our best protection would be a 25% PP.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't think Lindy intimidates anyone, but he will lay a hit. I just wonder in today's NHL what the value of the whole "protection" thing is. Goons have mostly vanished.

I think maybe our best protection would be a 25% PP.

What I was going to say.  I'd just add that they have to catch those guys before they can hit them.  If they're not elusive they're going to get squashed no matter what line they play on.  But there are plenty of small players currently who've shown it can be done. And plenty of big ones who've shown that size is no protection from concussions.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Hmm. Ducks need to salary-dump to find room for deals, and they have right-hand defensemen? Cam Fowler's 24, so just starting to hit his prime years for defensemen. Bieksa's got a no-move, so he'd have to be protected, I think. Stoner's not worth $3.25 mil, IMO.

Tyler Johnson would be nice to have, but what would TB want in return? How many prospects and/or picks? He was a big deal there in TB last season, so he's not gonna come cheap, even if they're dumping salary to free up space for Kucherov. Johnson being an RFA at the end of 2016-17 could be an issue, too - how is that different in view of expansion to being a UFA?

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

I hope this line works, only concern I have is age and size.  If im opposing coach I'm putting my hardest hitting guys out there to crush these young 170lb kids and take there confidence away at in first couple shifts. TT and Aho both 5'11 and 170-178lbs.  We all know Lindholm is not a physical player.  This lines gonna need some serious protection or we're gonna see some concussions.  

Those big guys are gonna have to catch them first. Aho is especially slippery.

43 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'd just add that they have to catch those guys before they can hit them.

Heh. Didn't see this til after I posted. Great minds think alike--and ours do too!

8 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Stoner's not worth $3.25 mil, IMO.

Yeah, but he's under contract through 17-18, i.e., Las Vegas here I come. And they just put him on waivers.

He played in 50 games last year, would need just 20...

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, but he's under contract through 17-18, i.e., Las Vegas here I come. And they just put him on waivers.

Assuming that Vegas will select him. Of course, the Hurricanes have a bunch of young guys still in their second year, which means they get to protect either 8 skaters + 1 or 7 forwards + 3 D + 1, plus the ELC players, so it does reduce the choices.

I'm thinking I might start a thread on who the Hurricanes might protect from the expansion draft....

22 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Stoner's not worth $3.25 mil, IMO.

Stoner is a left shot d-man.  We want someone on the right side if Murphy isn't going to do it.

Edited by LakeLivin

26 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Assuming that Vegas will select him. Of course, the Hurricanes have a bunch of young guys still in their second year, which means they get to protect either 8 skaters + 1 or 7 forwards + 3 D + 1, plus the ELC players, so it does reduce the choices.

I'm thinking I might start a thread on who the Hurricanes might protect from the expansion draft....

I get that, but regardless who you protect, you must expose at least one D who is under contract though next year and has played at least 70 games in the prior two seasons. If Murphy or Tennyson can't give us enough games, we've got a problem meeting that requirement.

Edited by top-shelf-1

From an ESPN insider article by Scott Burnside. 

Prediction

There's so much uncertainty at the bottom end of the Eastern Conference standings that you can make a case for most, if not all, of the division teams that didn't make the playoffs to bounce back and sneak into one of the final few postseason spots this season. Carolina is one of those teams. Third in the Metropolitan Division.

And from a different ESPN Insider article by Craig Custace:

The Carolina Hurricanes are starting to emerge as a popular sleeper pick in the Metropolitan division. Our own Scott Burnside picked them to finish third in his division preview. In his fantastic data-driven season preview, analytics expert Micah Blake McCurdy projected the Hurricanes at 90.4 points with a standard deviation of 8.4. The 90-point projection wouldn’t get them into the playoffs, but with improved goaltending it becomes a real possibility.

At least some analysts are noticing the Canes these days.

Edited by LakeLivin

10 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

lol

You obviously strongly disagree with the analysts, but doesn't it at least make you wonder what these guys who have no reason to be partial to the Canes are basing their predictions on?  After so many years of almost no attention from the press, raise the question of what's changed from their perspectives, especially since we didn't make the playoffs last year?

btw, I see 3rd in the Metro as overly optimistic, but not as impossible.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

You obviously strongly disagree with the analysts, but doesn't it at least make you wonder what these guys who have no reason to be partial to the Canes are basing their predictions on?  After so many years of almost no attention from the press, raise the question of what's changed from their perspectives, especially since we didn't make the playoffs last year?

Don't feed the trolls...

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

btw, I see 3rd in the Metro as overly optimistic, but not as impossible.

I think it will come down to injuries and how the TT-Lindy-Aho line performs.  I am not sure what they will be able to do but we should have a better idea by tonight.  I am hopeful that Lindy progresses and so does TT.  I am still nervous about not having the intangibles that Staal brought to the table.  He was still a really good defender and possession player and I think that is over looked by several of us including myself.

The Custace article I referenced above was actually about what he calls "hinge players".

---------------------------------------------------------------

Every year, we identify hinge players whose performance could alter the success of a borderline playoff team. Goaltending may be the biggest hinge in Carolina, but you can say that anywhere, so no goalies allowed.

The Hurricanes lineup has several hinge player candidates. If Teuvo Teravainen takes off this season, that’s a game-changer. Peters has also liked the play of Phillip Di Giuseppe, the 22-year-old second-round pick from 2012. The left winger made a positive impression last season in 41 games and has looked even better in camp after a strong summer.  “He has real good speed,” Peters said. “He’s tenacious on the forecheck. He has a real good shot. He’s got good hands.”

But there isn’t a bigger hinge player on the team -- and maybe not in the entire Eastern Conference -- than Elias Lindholm.  They need Lindholm to break through, and they need it to happen at center.  “It’s time,” Peters said. “It’s time to take a step. He hasn’t taken that big step. He has to take a big step and get consistent in his game.”

He’ll play on a line with Sebastian Aho and Teravainen to start, and Peters wants to be able to send that trio out without thinking twice about it.

“We need it to be a line consistent offensively,” he said. “When we go on the road, they have to play against the best players in the league. It’s three guys with elite hockey sense, all three can play the center position, so whoever gets back first can play down low.”  It’s a line loaded with skill, and if Lindholm can lead them to success, the Hurricanes could very well meet expectations that continue to grow.

Edited by LakeLivin

23 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I get that, but regardless who you protect, you must expose at least one D who is under contract though next year and has played at least 70 games in the prior two seasons. If Murphy or Tennyson can't give us enough games, we've got a problem meeting that requirement.

True enough, but if Murphy's going to be out three to four weeks, there's still plenty of time for him to get 40 games in. Stoner only played in 50 last season, so he's arguably no more durable than Murphy. Is it worth basically paying $162,500 a game for Stoner to come in for 20 games to keep us from losing Faulk?

Besides, the fact that there are penalties defined (I don't know what the penalties are, but they do exist, as mentioned here - https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592 ) tells me that there are ways around the requirement to expose at least one D and two forwards who meet the game-count restrictions and one goaltender (who is either under contract for 2017-18 or is an RFA who has received a qualifying offer before the expansion draft).

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The Custace article I referenced above was actually about what he calls "hinge players".

---------------------------------------------------------------

Every year, we identify hinge players whose performance could alter the success of a borderline playoff team. Goaltending may be the biggest hinge in Carolina, but you can say that anywhere, so no goalies allowed.

The Hurricanes lineup has several hinge player candidates. If Teuvo Teravainen takes off this season, that’s a game-changer. Peters has also liked the play of Phillip Di Giuseppe, the 22-year-old second-round pick from 2012. The left winger made a positive impression last season in 41 games and has looked even better in camp after a strong summer.  “He has real good speed,” Peters said. “He’s tenacious on the forecheck. He has a real good shot. He’s got good hands.”

But there isn’t a bigger hinge player on the team -- and maybe not in the entire Eastern Conference -- than Elias Lindholm.  They need Lindholm to break through, and they need it to happen at center.  “It’s time,” Peters said. “It’s time to take a step. He hasn’t taken that big step. He has to take a big step and get consistent in his game.”

He’ll play on a line with Sebastian Aho and Teravainen to start, and Peters wants to be able to send that trio out without thinking twice about it.

“We need it to be a line consistent offensively,” he said. “When we go on the road, they have to play against the best players in the league. It’s three guys with elite hockey sense, all three can play the center position, so whoever gets back first can play down low.”  It’s a line loaded with skill, and if Lindholm can lead them to success, the Hurricanes could very well meet expectations that continue to grow.

I also think Bickell could be some sort of X-Factor.

Edited by bluedevil58

lineup pretty close to dress rehearsal status. Wallmark's had a good camp, and he'll get another look tonight.

forward lines: Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen Nordstrom-Staal-Stempniak Skinner-Rask-Di Giuseppe Bickell-Wallmark-Stalberg

defensive pairs: Slavin-Faulk Hainsey-Pesce Hanifin-McKeown

Tonight's  game will be broadcast on NHLNetwork with no local blackout restrictions.

at least nine more players will have to be cut by end-of-day Tuesday

I expect most the roster decisions have already been made but could we have some surprises?

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I expect most the roster decisions have already been made but could we have some surprises?

Maybe.

RIght now the Hurricanes are carrying 9 defensemen. If they plan on 7, that means two of Carrick/Fleury/McKeown will be sent down. My guess is Carrick & Fleury are sent down and McKeown stays.

Forwards? HCBP says that Wallmark's had a good camp. I think P. Brown has had some flashes of brilliance, but enough to stay up? I don't know. My guess is that Foegle, Ryan, McGinn, Tolchinsky are sent down. I can't choose between Wallmark and P. Brown for the #14 forward slot.

OR

If Murphy's going to be out for three to four weeks, put him on IR (NHL IR is at least seven days) and keep both Fleury and McKeown for that time....

Edited by JonKerfoot