The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

Kjun, you had a good view...any comments? Anyone look good or bad?

What happened late there, looked like we almost choked on the scoreboard.

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I hope PDG can keep his head attached to his body but that guy plays with an edge and we need that.

I was in 105 tonight and had a wonderful view of that hit.

I'm a PDG fan.

He's the real deal. Scotty Walker with twice the talent, and that is NOT a slam on Walker's skill, BTW. It's just that PDG is just straight-up talented.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I thought the passes out of the d-zone were outstanding all night but you could tell the forward lines need some time to get in rhythm.

as to be expected.  Ateast this team has a good defense.  When was the last time we could say that?

Went to the game last night.  A few tidbits.....

D looked solid.  McKeown looked tentative at first, but got better as the game went along.  Didn't even notice Faulk was gone.

Hanifin looked good.

Aho looked good.  Nothing too fancy, and had a few good looks on offense.  He definitely looked like he belonged out there.

TT looked good as well.  I think the Lindholm line with be our scoring line this year.

Its sad, but Stempniak might be Skinner's best linemate since Jokinen.  Stempniak played a decent game.  

Skinner played a solid overall game, but didn't do much on offense.

Bickell didn't look so good.  Super slow, which surprised me coming from the fastest team in the league.  He's definitely the next Brad Malone.

Stalberg didn't look too much better.  He skates decent, but no hands whatsoever.

Lucas Wallmark was actually pretty decent.  I felt bad for him that he was being paired with Bickell/Stalberg.  I foresee him being our #1 call up from Charlotte.

PP was about average.

37 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Went to the game last night.  A few tidbits.....

D looked solid.  McKeown looked tentative at first, but got better as the game went along.  Didn't even notice Faulk was gone.

Hanifin looked good.

Aho looked good.  Nothing too fancy, and had a few good looks on offense.  He definitely looked like he belonged out there.

TT looked good as well.  I think the Lindholm line with be our scoring line this year.

Its sad, but Stempniak might be Skinner's best linemate since Jokinen.  Stempniak played a decent game.  

Skinner played a solid overall game, but didn't do much on offense.

Bickell didn't look so good.  Super slow, which surprised me coming from the fastest team in the league.  He's definitely the next Brad Malone.

Stalberg didn't look too much better.  He skates decent, but no hands whatsoever.

Lucas Wallmark was actually pretty decent.  I felt bad for him that he was being paired with Bickell/Stalberg.  I foresee him being our #1 call up from Charlotte.

PP was about average.

I hope not. I hope he makes the team outright and JMac is waived. We need some speed and skill to go with some jam on the fourth line. PDG - Walmark/Brown - Stalberg is what I want to see for the fourth line.

42 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I hope not. I hope he makes the team outright and JMac is waived. We need some speed and skill to go with some jam on the fourth line. PDG - Walmark/Brown - Stalberg is what I want to see for the fourth line.

I was writing something similar and the power blinked. Wind and rain bands are moving in hereabouts.

I don't know that I'd waive McC yet (not saying I wouldn't, either), but I would sure make Ryan, PDG and McGinn the fourth line. That reduces the line's average age from 31 to 24. Buy out Bicks, retain Stalberg to platoon with McGinn. Give Wallmark, who is just just 21, a year in CLT. You still have Brown as a viable 4C to back-up Ryan.

The only reason I hesitate on Wallmark is maturity and positioning. I think both are critical at 4C, and we're deep enough there that giving him a year on this side of the pond to adjust to the smaller ice makes sense to me.

Funny that Niskanen took exception to what was a clean hit by PDG on Chorney and fought to make his point. The Caps broadcasters both agreed the hit was clean but said that Niskanen likely had a problem with him finishing that check in the preseason. 

So I'm wondering if Jeff Skinner would agree with him...

31 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Buy out Bicks,

There's only a 2 week window for buyouts and it's in June.  That $4m we paid for TT is fixed at this point.  We could still send Bickell to Charlotte, though. 

Edited by LakeLivin

13 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

Funny that Niskanen took exception to what was a clean hit by PDG on Chorney and fought to make his point. The Caps broadcasters both agreed the hit was clean but said that Niskanen likely had a problem with him finishing that check in the preseason.

Their logic doesn't make sense to me.  This is a kid striving to make the team.  He should curtail his play because of "protocol"?

Edited by LakeLivin

So I'm hearing that Bickell looked very slow and that Stalberg can't finish.

Interesting in the sense of one of the long time debates of the need for grit and sandpaper on a team.

The traditional 4th line would be Bickell/McClemment/Stalberg to grind and play veteran NHL 4th line hockey, and check and maybe hit some people. But based on these reports and McClemment's year last year? That line is not going to put up many points. You don't need a lot of points from the 4th line, but you do need some, and this team needs all the goals it can get.

Instead of a grinding, gritty, slow 4th line with stone hands, what if you had a relentlessly fast 4th line with some scoring upside? Could we maintain that throughout the year? Who would join PDG on that line if we went that way? Ryan and .... or Wallmark....maybe even McGinn? We could honestly roll that 4th line out more too.

That is a bit against conventional wisdom that you need grinders and grit out there. Maybe though, that is mainly because most teams have no choice. Most teams can't go 12 deep in the NHL with speed and scoring threat, frankly most teams can't go 9 deep that way. But where can you? World Cup. You can easily go 4 lines deep with scorers. But guess who decided not to do that? Guess who insisted on getting grit and sandpaper in there? The US team. So that didn't work.

I think if Stemp/Rask/Skinner and Linds and Finns get going, we will be a very hard team to match up with lines 1-3. NSN will neutralize your top O line, then we just have to outscore your 2 and 3 lines. But what if we keep the speed and tenacity and threat to score going on the 4th line too? The balanced attack coaches dream of. We need goals, and part of the problem in that respect last year was too few points from line 4. 

I will freely admit that I have not been able to watch much preseason at all. I have not seen Bickell or Stalberg even one shift, or Wallmark either, so this may be way off, but just throwing it out there as a concept really.

Edited by remkin

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

I did catch in a pregame interview with BP about McClement needing a mental health break, and it sounded like he was going to say more but stopped himself.

However I do not want Lucas on the 4th line.  I think his ceiling is higher, and he'd be better off in Charlotte centering the 1st line.

3 hours ago, dinz said:

Be safe everyone with the hurricane..

Thanks dinz.  Good to see you back on the board, it must be close to hockey season.

53 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

So I'm wondering if Jeff Skinner would agree with him...

No kidding. Matty Niskanen is a criminal in the Brooks Orpik tradition.

54 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

There's only a 2 week window for buyouts and it's in June.  That $4m we paid for TT is fixed at this point.  We could still send Bickell to Charlotte, though. 

Fair enough. Send him to CLT and buy him out next year. There's no place for him on this roster.

Edited by top-shelf-1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:21 PM, LakeLivin said:

TB cut Wiz, so he's now available. :P

Sorry rem, missed your post back last night, and just now am back on,  Yes, I enjoyed the game but as several noted, or perhaps didn't, thought they took their foot off the gas too soon, Without a doubt, Lindy was our best forward, TT and Aho looked smooth and already had great chemistry, Yes, I was very disappointed with Bickell, as I was hoping for some resurgence, but no, too slow for our up-tempo team in the making. Wasn't overly impressed with Staal, but very favorably impressed with Stepniak. .

Yep, top_shelf, you got that right. absolutely no reason for Niskanen to go off on PDG like that, but he paid for it!! PDG handled himself well and Niskanen took several to the face. Wound up cut pretty good. 

17 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Fair enough. Send him to CLT and buy him out next year. There's no place for him on this roster.

No need to buy him out next year...his contract is up. Just shake his hand and wish him luck. And even if we could buy him out now, we really can't because that would take us below the salary cap floor due to the cost savings of the buyout.

32 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I did catch in a pregame interview with BP about McClement needing a mental health break, and it sounded like he was going to say more but stopped himself.

However I do not want Lucas on the 4th line.  I think his ceiling is higher, and he'd be better off in Charlotte centering the 1st line.

If we were running a traditional 4th line, I'd agree with you. But if we run a line setup like the Penguins had at the end of the year with guys that had energy, good 2-way play, and were scoring threats, then I don't feel his development would be hindered by being a 4C for us. Put him in between PDG and Stalberg and that line could easily play 10-12 minutes a game of meaningful minutes without getting us in trouble. Much better option for us than a line of Bickel/JMac/Stalberg which would have two very slow guys and one so fast he gets too far ahead along with a very low scoring threat across the line. I think a line like the one I proposed would be better for the team and be similar to the idea of taking Hanifin last year and sticking him on the 3rd pairing...not the amount of minutes he might get in Charlotte, but enough against better competition and with a smart kid evens the situations out.

14 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

No need to buy him out next year...his contract is up. Just shake his hand and wish him luck. And even if we could buy him out now, we really can't because that would take us below the salary cap floor due to the cost savings of the buyout.

Good point Min.  If I"m interpreting things correctly, even sending him down to Charlotte would result in a $950k reduction to our cap number.  We'd still be over the cap min, but starting to flirt with it, especially if, say, someone like Stalberg went down and was replaced with a yute on an ELC. 

Edited by LakeLivin

4 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

If we were running a traditional 4th line, I'd agree with you. But if we run a line setup like the Penguins had at the end of the year with guys that had energy, good 2-way play, and were scoring threats, then I don't feel his development would be hindered by being a 4C for us. Put him in between PDG and Stalberg and that line could easily play 10-12 minutes a game of meaningful minutes without getting us in trouble. Much better option for us than a line of Bickel/JMac/Stalberg which would have two very slow guys and one so fast he gets too far ahead along with a very low scoring threat across the line. I think a line like the one I proposed would be better for the team and be similar to the idea of taking Hanifin last year and sticking him on the 3rd pairing...not the amount of minutes he might get in Charlotte, but enough against better competition and with a smart kid evens the situations out.

I'd be happy with either Wallmark or P. Brown centering the fourth line. Both showed up pretty well in camp, from what I heard (I'm Stuck with Chuck!(TM)). They are sending P. Brown down to Charlotte, though, so it will probably be Wallmark. The Chin is still with the big squad, so we'll have to see how he fits in, too.

I'm sorry that Bickell hasn't looked so good - I was hoping for at least a little bit of a bounce-back after the inner-ear issues he had. Inner ear doesn't make you slower, at least directly, so the Hurricanes have a problem to solve there.