The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

The question, IMHO, as I postulated above, is what identity do you want that 4th line to have. 

I like the idea of a team that just blankets with speed and forecheck and with some scoring upside. But can we put that together and would it be best? I think yes and yes, but again, I am relying on people's reports on here in terms of Bickell, but it doesn't sound good.

If Bickell is slow, then he would need to be able to cycle, throw the body and plant in front of the net. But can he keep up? 

If Stalberg has the speed, he's probably ok. He has put some points up in the past.

I've been on about McClement for a long time. Not sure what is going on with him, but last year was not good enough.

I just hope that the brain trust puts the best line out there irrespective of contracts. I do think that they will. 

Edited by remkin

How can he be physical if he can't keep up? I am agreeing with rem, that we change the 4th line's traditional identity and thus play to our strength.

On another front, it's been said that taking Faulk out early last night was just precautionary. anyone hearing any different, and if he is out for a bit, wonder who might step in? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

How can he be physical if he can't keep up? I am agreeing with rem, that we change the 4th line's traditional identity and thus play to our strength.

Well, if the fourth line is a cycling sort of line, then he would have plenty of time to get in the offensive zone and get himself in front of the net. However, as you say, that's not the Hurricanes' strength, so I too would lean to having an "energy" fourth line instead of a "grind line".

All other conditions - puck possession, etc. - being the same, of course....

Edited by JonKerfoot

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

.... the Torres experiment is over.

There was a Torres experiment?  You can always count on ESPN to keep us in the know. Thanks ESPN! ;)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Oct. 8, 2016

HURRICANES TRIM ROSTER TO 29 PLAYERS
Ryan, Brown, McGinn to be assigned to Charlotte

What's more interesting than the players released are the ones still there.  Forwards still on the Canes roster include: Tolchinsky, Wallmark, Foegele, and Andrew Miller.  I'm sure all of these will also be sent down over the next couple of days, but I wonder if the order signifies anything?

edit: I was just told that the only reason Miller hasn't been sent down yet is that he's hurt.  Not sure why that would effect anything, though . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

I was there. 

On Bickell, as others noted, you don't notice how slow he is until you seem him live.  He's slow.  Stalberg's a grinder only so I'm not sure what more anyone expects. He grinded mostly, but he did get off a shot or two and threw a couple of hits.  I though Wallmark did fine, particularly on faceoffs - I haven't looked but he won most of his draws.  Very encouraging.

The defense moved the puck very well.  They gave up two goals very quickly when the team was down to 5 defenseman and it was noticeable they were a little discombobulated. 

The offensive lines were rusty.  The cycle wasn't where it needs to be...yet.  The Linds and Finns line was our most dangerous.  If those 3 can get it together they will get some good matchups to show their skill.

I can see our PP being better than last year - way more skill and hockey smarts to work with.  The overtime was a lot of fun.

Cam got lucky a couple of times, the game could have easily been 4-2 Caps in regular time.

Thanks for the update coastal. 

Interesting to see what they do with Bickell. I can't imaging PDG is going anywhere. I guess we're paying Bickell either way could just health scratch him. 

I continue to wonder about McClement's future. Is there a better option...

A better PP would help on a couple of fronts. 1. We need goals. 2. Keep teams from taking as many liberties. 

Linds and Finns...high hopes.

Seems like the open questions: line 4, Dman 6.

Edited by remkin

This might be the solution for Bicks:

If he plays just one game with us and we reassign him to CLT, he would have to clear waivers. If no one claims him - and unless he really wants to keep riding the bus (and/or management feels having him on the roster in CLT is worthwhile) - we could do what the Blues did last December with Scotty Gomez: put him on unconditional waivers, which equates to an unconditional release from the team.

Also called $125 waivers, the process gives every team in the league a chance to claim the guy. (If they do, it costs them $125, thus the name). But assuming he clears waivers, we'd retain his cap hit (which we need) and he's free to pursue other options. (Or join the coaching staff, which wouldn't surprise me given BP's history with him and BP's stated value of Bicks' presence for the yutes.)

The Sens finally took Gomez last March, two months after the Blues waived him, and after he'd signed a PTO with Hershey. He ultimately played 13 games for the Sens from March through the end of the year. He's now happily hung them up in his native Alaska. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don't know what the team will eventually do with Bickell, if anything, but it just seems to me a guy who can't keep up with the play just doesn't fit what we are trying to do out there.

I'm interested in the talk above about adding a defenseman.  Losing Murphy so early makes me nervous - more from the expansion draft predicament than replacing him, because I think McKeown could probably do no worse.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I don't know what the team will eventually do with Bickell, if anything, but it just seems to me a guy who can't keep up with the play just doesn't fit what we are trying to do out there.

I'm interested in the talk above about adding a defenseman.  Losing Murphy so early makes me nervous - more from the expansion draft predicament than replacing him, because I think McKeown could probably do no worse.

Agree completely. It'll be interesting to see how Ronnie solves this one, but I've got no doubt that he will.

44 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

a 6th man  mobile positionally sound d man should do.  I would say stay at home guy I don't think that fits the style.of this team.

Oh, is that all? I'm sure we can find one cheap at this point since the rest of the league no longer needs someone like that. Frankly, I think we have that in McKeown. So if I were GM, I'd be looking for a D-man whose played 70 games last year and put him in the press box, then turn the young guys loose.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think the Bickel problem is not one, to be honest. We don't want to lose him so we can make the cap floor, but we don't want to play him because he's too slow. So, put him in the press box. He is there for an emergency, practices with the guys so is still a good presence in the room, and allows guys who didn't make the top 12 to stay in the AHL to get better. Win, win, win.

1 minute ago, MinJaBen said:

So if I were GM, I'd be looking for a D-man whose played 70 games last year and put him in the press box, then turn the young guys loose.

This is why I was surprised we didn't snag Seidenberg. He only needs nine games.

8 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I think the Bickel problem is not one, to be honest. We don't want to lose him so we can make the cap floor, but we don't want to play him because he's too slow. So, put him in the press box. He is there for an emergency, practices with the guys so is still a good presence in the room, and allows guys who didn't make the top 12 to stay in the AHL to get better. Win, win, win.

Except that he occupies a roster slot. I'd much rather use the fourth line to get our yutes ice time in an emergency. Emergencies are why Slavin and Pesce are now regulars, and why it's gonna be hard to keep PDG off the roster.

15 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Oh, is that all? I'm sure we can find one cheap at this point since the rest of the league no longer needs someone like that. Frankly, I think we have that in McKeown. So if I were GM, I'd be looking for a D-man whose played 70 games last year and put him in the press box, then turn the young guys loose.

That is pretty much the.norm.  D men who can skate and play a positional game are a dime a dozen. .I think you assumed I said we needed someone who could put up 20 points.  I did not.

Was anyone else trying to figure out who the player with the initials F. R. K. is? Like OEL or RNH?  Canes fans need to take up a collection to buy Martin a vowel. :P

Another Czech who looks like he played on the same WJC team as Nestrasil in 2010-11.

Some more info on Frk:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/10/martin_frk_working_hard_to_sho.html

Edited by LakeLivin