The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

CANES AGREE TO TERMS WITH JAKUB NAKLADAL

Defenseman skated for Czech Republic at World Cup of Hockey

Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Jakub Nakladal (YA-kuhb nahk-LA-dahl) on a one-year contract. The deal will pay Nakladal $600,000 for the 2016-17 season.

“Jakub was solid in his first professional season in North America last season, and played well at the World Cup,” said Francis. “This gives us additional depth and experience along the blue line as we open the season this week.” Nakladal, 28, appeared in 27 games with the Calgary Flames in 2015-16, totaling five points (2g, 3a) and six penalty minutes, and averaging 14:11 of ice time per game. The Hradec Kralove, Cze., native also appeared in 35 American Hockey League (AHL) games with Stockton, earning 14 points (2g, 12a). Prior to signing with Calgary, Nakladal spent the 2014-15 season with TPS Turko in Liiga, the top Finnish professional league, netting three goals and adding 12 assists (15 points) in 50 games.

Nakladal has represented the Czech Republic in a number of international competitions, most recently appearing in all three games for his home country at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. He also appeared for the Czech Republic at the 2012, 2013 and 2015 IIHF World Championships.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

CANES AGREE TO TERMS WITH JAKUB NAKLADAL

Defenseman skated for Czech Republic at World Cup of Hockey

Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Jakub Nakladal (YA-kuhb nahk-LA-dahl) on a one-year contract. The deal will pay Nakladal $600,000 for the 2016-17 season.

“Jakub was solid in his first professional season in North America last season, and played well at the World Cup,” said Francis. “This gives us additional depth and experience along the blue line as we open the season this week.” Nakladal, 28, appeared in 27 games with the Calgary Flames in 2015-16, totaling five points (2g, 3a) and six penalty minutes, and averaging 14:11 of ice time per game. The Hradec Kralove, Cze., native also appeared in 35 American Hockey League (AHL) games with Stockton, earning 14 points (2g, 12a). Prior to signing with Calgary, Nakladal spent the 2014-15 season with TPS Turko in Liiga, the top Finnish professional league, netting three goals and adding 12 assists (15 points) in 50 games.

Nakladal has represented the Czech Republic in a number of international competitions, most recently appearing in all three games for his home country at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. He also appeared for the Czech Republic at the 2012, 2013 and 2015 IIHF World Championships.

Am i missing something here?  Is Nakladal even expansion draft eligible?  Or do KHL games count?  I can't imagine any other reason to be signing another defensive prospect - we do have a couple already me thinks.

I finally get power back and am late for work and two moves. Are these two way contracts? Why only one year for Nakladal? He has 25 games with Calgary? Don't we want expansion draft protection? Wouldn't that require a two year, or can we extend him if he gets there?

Frk,Off waivers. Don't we have to play him?  The guy put up some nice goals in the AHL. Makes me think Bickell is not long for this team. Or McClement maybe? Does Frk play any center? I'd love to look this stuff up, but gotta run! check in later to see what people think!

Edited by remkin

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Wing fans like Frk - claiming better shot than Nestrsil, good possession player.

I've read he has a booming shot and will help on the PP.

From Hockey's future:

Frk was one of the QMJHL's leading scorers during his junior days playing on a dominant team that had players like Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon but he has not had the same success in pro hockey. He has a quality shot and plays with an edge, but the rest of his game needs work. His skating, while not a huge issue at the ECHL level, has prevented him from competing more successfully at times in AHL play. Frk has improved at carrying the puck and using his teammates but still requires polish and development. As his mobility on the ice improves so will his overall play.

Future

Frk made the move up to the AHL in 2015-16, finishing second on the Grand Rapids Griffins with 27 goals. He also showed a feisty side to his game, finishing the year with 89 penalty minutes. Heading into the third year of his original entry-level contract, Frk will be challenged to crack a Detroit lineup with several young forward prospects. His scoring ability could prove attractive to a team in need of offense.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/martin_frk/#HS23GHCL06pQ58HO.99

27 goals in 67 games not shabby. 

He's a R handed winger. But since not a great D player or skater, who does he replace?

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I finally get power back and am late for work and two moves. Are these two way contracts? Why only one year for Nakladal? He has 25 games with Calgary? Don't we want expansion draft protection? Wouldn't that require a two year, or can we extend him if he gets there?

Frk,Off waivers. Don't we have to play him?  The guy put up some nice goals in the AHL. Makes me think Bickell is not long for this team. Or McClement maybe? Does Frk play any center? I'd love to look this stuff up, but gotta run! check in later to see what people think!

Nakladal:  would need 27 NHL games and be extended for a year in order to be expansion bait.  But Murphy's out 3-4 weeks, and who knows what's really up with Faulk.  And our Checker's right shot d-men aren't exactly NHL proven.   Nakladal does have some NHL experience and presumably Peters got a good firsthand look at him against some of the best players in the world at the WC.  I'm guessing at this point it's more an actual hockey depth move instead of an expansion one.  Of course, what do I know?

Frk:  Young, promising Czech who Detroit didn't want to expose but had no choice. I'm thinking maybe RF and BP saw Nestrasil 2.0 and couldn't pass it up?  None of Bickell, Stahlberg, or McClement are likely to play for the Canes past this year, and given our payroll, we presumably could easily afford to pay one or more of them to play in Charlotte.  So if there's a chance that Frk makes us better, both short and longer term, why not?  And I think we could still eventually send Frk down to Charlotte if necessary, of course, we'd have to expose him to waivers if we did.      

Edited by LakeLivin

In my mind our top 9 is set baring injury, and in my mind PDG does not go back to Charlotte.

That leaves Bickell, McClemment, PDG, Stalberg, and now Frk, That's 5 guys, 3 chairs. Start the music.

I guess we can scratch two, but after reading on here about Bickell, I would have to be really wondering about him.

I was just browsing the Wings forum over at hfboards and boy, are they pis. . .  er, upset about Frk.  I copied one of their fans posts below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hold on, I think I've found a video clip of Ron Francis:

price-is-right-air-guitar-o.gif

You'll notice that the price, as indicated in the background, was 0.00. The price was most definitely right!
Edited by LakeLivin

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

In my mind our top 9 is set baring injury, and in my mind PDG does not go back to Charlotte.

That leaves Bickell, McClemment, PDG, Stalberg, and now Frk, That's 5 guys, 3 chairs. Start the music.

I guess we can scratch two, but after reading on here about Bickell, I would have to be really wondering about him.

I'll actually gain respect for RF if he sends down 2 of Bickell, McClemment, or Stalberg if he feels that will make the Canes better.  Because playing the cheap yutes while relegating (and paying) the vets to play in the minors seems like it's counter to convention in most organizations.  

It's ironic that we continue to pluck players from the poster child team for draft and develop because they can't manage their cap.

Isn't it great to have roster and cap space?

Keep throwing darts at the dartboard. 

Francis has made a lot of nice smaller moves that are starting to add up.

Just interesting to see who doesn't stick overall, but especially of the bottom 5 forwards.

Edited by remkin

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's ironic that we continue to pluck players from the poster child team for draft and develop because they can't manage their cap.

If it means the playoffs sure.  Otherwise ,  no not at all.

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Keep throwing darts at the 

To me Staal's wingers and the fourth line aren't set and those are the spots that might look different going to opening night.  Then the need for a guy to play with Hanifin on the right side.

Puck drop follows next Thursday. 

It's getting thin for time.

12 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Keep throwing darts at the dartboard. 

I don't think either Nestrasil or Frk were available due to cap issues, I think it's a matter of them not managing their prospects so as to avoid waivers.  Which may become an issue for RF down the line IF a bunch of our yutes develop as well as we hope. 

Edited by LakeLivin

45 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't think either Nestrasil or Frk were available due to cap issues, I think it's a matter of them not managing their prospects so as to avoid waivers.  Which may become an issue for RF down the line IF a bunch of our yutes develop as well as we hope. 

I think we are saying the same thing.  It's ultimately is a cap issue for them, because the Wings still have to get under the cap now, and the last time I looked they were projected to only have 4-mil available assuming additional moves.  The Wings aren't in a traditional rebuild, they are in JR hell.  Their system is clogged up with older veteran players.  But they draft and develop guys to be ready to play, which is a credit to their system.

I finally get power back and jump on the board and we have made two moves.  Now I'm playing catch up

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

As far as nicknames go, we now have Faulker, and Frker. Could get dicey during some interviews.

Meet the Frker's

Bob McKenzie: Hearing that there may have been as many as three teams that put a waiver claim on Martin Frk (Det). The Hurricanes had the least amount of points last season and were awarded Frk.''

Listening to NHL on XM yesterday the host said something to the effect of (paraphrased): "hard to believe Frk doesn't make that Detroit team, tons of interest in him, but Hurricanes get him. Good for them."

Parenteau on waivers

The New York Islanders placed forward P.A. Parenteau on waivers Monday. Parenteau joined the Islanders as a free agent this summer after scoring 20 goals and adding 21 assists with the Toronto Maple Leafs last season.

Hard not to see him getting picked up for only 1.25M one year deal.

Also, Teemu Pulkkinen from Det.

Either one would be a nice pick up...Waive Bickell & McClemment, & pick up these two!!!

9 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Parenteau on waivers

The New York Islanders placed forward P.A. Parenteau on waivers Monday. Parenteau joined the Islanders as a free agent this summer after scoring 20 goals and adding 21 assists with the Toronto Maple Leafs last season.

Hard not to see him getting picked up for only 1.25M one year deal.

Also, Teemu Pulkkinen from Det.

Either one would be a nice pick up...Waive Bickell & McClemment, & pick up these two!!!

Why in the world would a guy who scored 20goals last year be placed on waivers?