The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

Yeah Pulkkinen was a name that popped up when we were talking about taking on Datsuk's cap hit.

This and the Frk pickup off waivers caused me to review the obligation on the team claiming the player. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the team getting the player must keep him on the NHL roster for at least 30 days. I know that if they want to send him down at some point, they need to put him back on waivers, is that after the 30 days? And he cannot be traded before the end of the playoffs without being waived again first.

(rocheccw, you have mentioned waiving Bickell and McClement, which I think would work, but even still, you have to really think the guy you are picking up is worth a roster spot).

The only thing at some point is the idea of clogging up roster spots that block any near-ready AHL yutes from coming up.

Partentneau is a bit surprising though, because just yesterday I heard an Islanders reporter saying he was part of the plan to replace Okposo, since he had played will w/ Tavares in the past. Since the Islanders lost Okposo, Neilsen, and Marin, the replacements were supposed to be Ladd, Parenteau and Chimera. So this is a curious thing for them...

Who knows??? But he went from their first line to waivers...Possibly they don't want to lose a prospect who was just as good in camp, but would also have to go thru waivers...but that is a complete guess.

You can't send someone down who is hurt...so injury is out. Cap hit not an issue at 1.5M...You got me???

Not sure if either one of these guys make it to the Canes...I think they will be gone before our spot.

A lot of good players on waivers today.(Condon, Griffith, Conacher) in addition to these two.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah Pulkkinen was a name that popped up when we were talking about taking on Datsuk's cap hit.

This and the Frk pickup off waivers caused me to review the obligation on the team claiming the player. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the team getting the player must keep him on the NHL roster for at least 30 days. I know that if they want to send him down at some point, they need to put him back on waivers, is that after the 30 days? And he cannot be traded before the end of the playoffs without being waived again first.

(rocheccw, you have mentioned waiving Bickell and McClement, which I think would work, but even still, you have to really think the guy you are picking up is worth a roster spot).

The only thing at some point is the idea of clogging up roster spots that block any near-ready AHL yutes from coming up.

Partentneau is a bit surprising though, because just yesterday I heard an Islanders reporter saying he was part of the plan to replace Okposo, since he had played will w/ Tavares in the past. Since the Islanders lost Okposo, Neilsen, and Marin, the replacements were supposed to be Ladd, Parenteau and Chimera. So this is a curious thing for them...

Yes PA is better than Bickell, & McClement(Combined)...The potential of Pulkkinen is worth the risk to me...Plus we have the cap space to bury a player or two in the minors...this team is on the verge of the playoffs, & needs scoring now(PA), & in the future(Pulkkinen).  I would try for both!

One day the Canes may be the team losing talent on the waiver wire, but that is not today. Plus it doesn't hurt for some of the youth to get a bunch of mins in the AHL for a year or two while they are not requiring waivers!!!

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If we claim Pulkk I can gauruntee you every Red Wings fan is going to blow a gasket.

They are already losing it, after both Frk, & now Pulkk will be claimed.

So how do we get to 23 players???

Murphy to IR

McClement, & Bickell Waived with the intention of sending to AHL, & picking up PA, & Pulkk.

Foegele back to Jrs overage year, or sign & sent to AHL

Ganly, & Carrick to AHL

Wallmark & Miller to AHL

Tolchinsky, & one of Either(Fleury, McKeown, or Nakladal) to AHL

That leaves 23 players..correct me if I'm wrong on someone, & I haven't been able to think of the Canes lineup after these moves, but with cap space to keep 23...got to at least think about it.

Not sure either one of PA, or Pulkk make it to us, but someone will be picking them up.

Yeah I have to think both of these guys get picked up, likely before our turn.

PA Parenteau: The braintrust must not have liked what they saw, and they do have some seriously grade A yutes, maybe they liked what they saw from them, and are going with a semi youth movment, but the plan put our there was for Parenteau to be a first liner.

Clearly if we want to go with a 4th line that can score, we would have the pieces picking him up, especially if Frk is all that. Frk, PDG, Paerenteau. Just need someone to play dang center.

Parenteau at 1 yr 1.25 million is essentially free. Gotta think someone else gets him probably.

Pulkkinnen at $800K is just a roster spot issue. He is coming off shoulder surgery. He will be an RFA next year. He underperformed in the NHL last year with 12 points in 36 games, and the year before. His NHL career production is .29 ppg (23 points/year) over 70 NHL games. BUT he was the number one goal scorer in the AHL the previous year with 34 goals and 60 points. He's another smallish guy, but he shoots right. Many think he has the scoring chops. But he is 24, so not like a phenom.

Interesting if we got either of these guys.

I keep thinking, well they have to at least be better than Bickell and McClemment. They are not better options than PDG though.

I would not take Frk, Parenteau, or Pulkkinnen ahead of PDG in terms of roster spots. And while I'm not sure all agree, I would not put any of Frk, Parenteau, or Pulkkenin ahead of Nestrasil or Nordstrom on J's line since none of them are as good all around as Nest and Nord, and that cycling, defense and all around game is what makes that line work.

Nor would I put any of Frk, Parenteau or Pulkannen on our top line or break up Linds and Finns.

So picking up these guys to me is all about creating a 4th line with scoring pop, and having depth if we need it.

The problem then, is this: can any of these guys play center? Because it would appear that our weakest links on that line are Bickell and McClement. To waive McClement, someone has to play center.

It is an interesting thought though...getting one or both of them. Have to think that the Isles have to know when they waived Parenteau that they waived goodby to him. At his salary, he is gone. Pulkk probably too. Will they drop to 18? The problem is that teams are inversely ranked by badness. So at these guys price tags (cheap, one year) can 17 worse teams pass on them? Probably not...

Edited by remkin

I can see Frk getting some 4th line minutes and a good look in "Ovi spot" on one of the PP units. He has a cannon of a shot that is going to have to be respected. 

Power back around 4 p.m., 38 hours without, all told. 

BP's comment about mental health time for McC makes we wonder if he's decided to hang 'em up, or if there's been a falling out. If true, it's a surprising thing for a coach to divulge to the press. If not, it's suggests a dispute.

Unless Bicks is really wanted on the AHL roster (or is really excited about playing there again) I think he is unconditionally waived, letting us keep his cap hit but resolve the "where to go with him?" issue. If he's okay playing there, however, it never hurts having a guy with a ring in your AHL room.

Clearly something is up with the fourth. Interesting times. 

The NHL roster deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesday with the regular season starting on Wednesday.

Teams will have to have a 23-man roster ready before then.

Someone please clarify. Just got my power back here in Clinton, so unable to keep up and ask this question, and perhaps has already been addressed. In regards to Frk,  If he was AHL player last season, does he still need to be put on waivers to go down to Charlotte? I think I vaguely recall that its based on time and number of games in AHL, so answer is yes, but unsure? 

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm very interested to see what we do tomorrow. Opening day roster coming up.

Some teams have finalized their rosters already.  I think RF is waiting to the last minute to see if he can snag any last guys from teams in difficulty, cap or otherwise.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Someone please clarify. Just got my power back here in Clinton, so unable to keep up and ask this question, and perhaps has already been addressed. In regards to Frk,  If he was AHL player last season, does he still need to be put on waivers to go down to Charlotte? I think I vaguely recall that its based on time and number of games in AHL, so answer is yes, but unsure? 

First off, I think we have to keep him up a certain amount of time but I'm not sure how long.  And if we assign him to Charlotte he does have to go through waivers.

9 hours ago, hag65 said:

Some teams have finalized their rosters already.  I think RF is waiting to the last minute to see if he can snag any last guys from teams in difficulty, cap or otherwise.

It gives the day some added interest. 

10 hours ago, hag65 said:

I read that he has to be on the NHL roster for 30 days, but it was only one source. I know we cannot send him down without putting him back on waivers, but I think that might be after 30 days? That's the part I'm not sure of.

So, if I've kept up, roster has to be trimmed to 23 today? Anyone see any surprises in store for us? And, oh, I saw where Ondrej Pavelec was put on waivers  by Jets? Wonder why we didn't consider, but guess Peters is okay with our tandem?

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, if I've kept up, roster has to be trimmed to 23 today? Anyone see any surprises in store for us? And, oh, I saw where Ondrej Pavelec was put on waivers  by Jets? Wonder why we didn't consider, but guess Peters is okay with our tandem?

I'm thinking there will be a couple of surprises but I'm not sure what they will be. With the addiction of the two players somebody has to go. I see our board speculation seems to involve McC and Bickell. I'm going to sit back and watch this unfold.

I don't think Pavelec would be much of an upgrade.

I'm guilty of the Bickell and McC speculation for sure. Don't have room for everyone unless we have multiple scratches every night. I think if we had a center among our 4 line prospects McC would be gone.

I wonder when we find out who got Pulk and Parenteau.

Edited by remkin