The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm thinking there will be a couple of surprises but I'm not sure what they will be. With the addiction of the two players somebody has to go. I see our board speculation seems to involve McC and Bickell. I'm going to sit back and watch this unfold.

If everyone but PDG is sent down that's a 23-player roster, which includes Frk and Nakladal.  The Canes don't have to do anything but decide who is in the press box.

Having a couple of guys in the press box isn't the end of the world I guess. Injuries will happen. Also lets some guys try to earn their ice time.

Long term could block chances for some prospects, but not a big issue to start.

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, if I've kept up, roster has to be trimmed to 23 today? Anyone see any surprises in store for us? 

I think when Francis submits his 23-man roster, there will be 23 hockey players of varying talent and potential.  In that respect, i expect no surprises.  That's as close as i'll come to speculating.  Ready for Thursday, even if i will be unable to watch.  I'l catch up later.

You mean like picking up KLAS DAHLBECK, a 25yo left shot d-man who was waived by Arizona?  Yeah, I'd say that was a surprise!

Edited by LakeLivin

rd, you're absolutely correct, but just curious if he locates someone else on waivers. Anyone aware of the deadline for this final 23 man list, 5pm CST? Also, sorry you're unable to watch, and hope i can.

Lake, you posted as I was. Did we just get DAHLBECK?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Yep, we picked up Dahlbeck according to CapFriendly.

Parenteau to NJ, Pulkinnen to Min, so apparently we could have pulled the trigger on Pulk if we had so desired.  NJ had priority to PAP over us.

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

If everyone but PDG is sent down that's a 23-player roster, which includes Frk and Nakladal.  The Canes don't have to do anything but decide who is in the press box.

Frk can't be moved for 30days or 10 NHL games. After that he can't be traded this season without offering him to the other two teams that put in a waiver claim on him.

Also, I believe if we put him on waivers after 30 days then Detriot has first rights to pick him back up if the other waiver claim teams pass on him.

See Zach Boychuk from a few years ago...Canes put him on waivers, Pens & Preds put in waiver claims...awarded to Pens...stayed with them 30 days, or 10 NHL games...put back on waivers claimed by preds who had lost the original claim...stayed with them 30 days, or 10 NHL games...then put back on waivers...where Canes had 1st dibs, & he was awarded back to us...Canes then assigned him to Charlotte without him needing to go thru waivers again...since at that point he had been offered to all 30 teams, & finally cleared.

This was a brilliant move.  Played 71 games for Arizona last year and is an RFA.  He doesn't have to play a single game for us and be exposed to the draft.  Well done RF...well done!

We have to extend him right?

Edited by bluedevil58

Dhalbeck to CAR. (Played D for Arizona. 71 Games last year. Here is your expansion Dman)

Griffith to TOR.

Pulkkinen to MIN

Condon to PIT. (this is the goalie I would have considered for the Canes)

Parenteau to NJ

Edited by rocheccw

So Dhalbeck has a one year contract too. I guess we have to extend him or Nakladal. So Dahlbaeck has to play 9 games? Seems like he gets at least 9 games and some kind of extension, then that issue is done.

NJ was just ahead of us on the waiver list? Min just after? Wonder if we had a claim on Parenteau?

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

So Dhalbeck has a one year contract too. I guess we have to extend him or Nakladal. So Dahlbaeck has to play 9 games? Seems like he gets at least 9 games and some kind of extension, then that issue is done.

NJ was just ahead of us on the waiver list? Min just after? Wonder if we had a claim on Parenteau?

Why does he have to play 9 games? The limit over two years is 70 games and he played in 71 last year from what I read.

50 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Why does he have to play 9 games? The limit over two years is 70 games and he played in 71 last year from what I read.

I was thinking 80.

But rocheccw, doesn't he have to be under contract for next year? (That would be the need to extend him).

Edited by remkin

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

But rocheccw, doesn't he have to be under contract for next year? (That would be the need to extend him).

I'm pretty positive that's the case.

Good point rocheccw. But Dahlbeck only has 2 years of NHL experience to date.  He needs 10 games this year or wouldn't he otherwise still be exempt?  Or does that matter? Can a team voluntarily offer up an exempt player instead of a "qualified" one?  Not that I see any problem in him getting 10 games, but interesting question anyways.

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Oh yeah, my bad, I was thinking 90.

I think you just have to give him his qualifying offer since he is an RFA. That would lock him in for next year.

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Good point rocheccw. But Dahlbeck only has 2 years of NHL experience to date.  He needs 10 games this year or wouldn't he otherwise still be exempt?  Or does that matter? Can a team voluntarily offer up an exempt player instead of a "qualified" one?  Not that I see any problem in him getting 10 games, but interesting question anyways.

I think as long as he has 70 over the past two seasons, which of course he does already, he's good to go.

5 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

I think you just have to give him his qualifying offer since he is an RFA. That would lock him in for next year.

I haven't seen this but it would be lovely if it's the case.

17 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

5 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I think as long as he has 70 over the past two seasons, which of course he does already, he's good to go.

Wouldn't that also imply that we could also offer up Pesce after he plays another 11 games (not that we'd want to).  That doesn't seem right as I know the NHL was trying to get Vegas a better, more experienced expansion team than those of the past.

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Wouldn't that also imply that we could also offer up Pesce after he plays another 11 games (not that we'd want to).  That doesn't seem right as I know the NHL was trying to get Vegas a better, more experienced expansion team than those of the past.

Pesce only has 1 year of NHL experience.

Edited by realmdrakkar

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Pesce only has 1 year of NHL experience.

Right, but 11 games this year would make 2 years NHL experience and 70 games over the past 2 years for Pesce.  Unless he plays at least 10 games this year, Dahlbeck would also only have 2 years NHL experience.

Edited by LakeLivin

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Right, but 11 games this year would make 2 years NHL experience and 70 games over the past 2 years for Pesce.  Unless he plays at least 10 games this year, Dahlbeck would also only have 2 years NHL experience.

Hmm, good point.  For whatever reason i know Pesce cannot be exposed, but now you have me wondering about Dahlbeck.  Maybe he does have to play 10 games...

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Hmm, good point.  For whatever reason i know Pesce cannot be exposed, but now you have me wondering about Dahlbeck.  Maybe he does have to play 10 games...

Pesce is exempt because he is still on his ELC next year.