The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

We have different kinds of sports to watch here in Charlotte the past couple days.  Good time, good times.  Anyone who makes it to camp, get some good notes.  I'm going to try to get to Chex camp this year.

This is just the point I was making in discussing TT on another thread. The odds are in his favor that he takes the next step, but for the first time in years, we've got bonafide forwards and not enough openings for all of them. The competition at camp this year will be amazing, but even better is the fact that if the guys who win jobs don't produce, the motivation their replacements will have to stick, and their own to get back, will be greater than it's arguably ever been, certainly more than a any point in recent history. That's really key, and it's happened in just two years' time.

I feel we have PDG to fill the void. But past that I don't think any other forward is ready yet. Touchy, Ryan, McGinn all did not do very well in their stint here. But at least we can rely on PDG if a forward falters. I still feel our forwards are very questionable. We will see how this pans out at the 20 game Mark. From there we will have a good perception of where this team is heading.

I feel we have PDG to fill the void. But past that I don't think any other forward is ready yet. Touchy, Ryan, McGinn all did not do very well in their stint here. But at least we can rely on PDG if a forward falters. I still feel our forwards are very questionable. We will see how this pans out at the 20 game Mark. From there we will have a good perception of where this team is heading.

BD, did you watch the Prospects Tournament? 

I did.  But remember that was against other prospects.  So take what you saw with a grain of salt.  Tolchy lit it up one year in the prospects tournament and wowed all of us.  There was even talk about putting him on the top line.  So he strolls on over and plays with NHL calibre defensemen and forwards and drops a goose egg.  I'm cautiously optimistic but I also think it is hard to judge if one is reayd bu doing well in a prospect tournament.  Unless I am missing something?  I truly fill we have gone through the over haul with who is all in our system.  We might not have prospects ready now but good ones in the pipe line.  I think we're at that juncture where this team should consider acquiring a top end forward if things start to falter this season.

Edited by bluedevil58

By 'Touchy' do you mean Tolchinsky?  I'm not saying he lit up the opposition, but i also can't say he 'did not do very well'.  2 games, 1 assist, +1 on a majorly-minus team.  Meanwhile Ryan played 6 games, 2 goals, and a +1.  Neither really played enough games to do well or not so well, but i'd say both did well enough considering the 4th-line minutes they received.

McGinn did not do very well, i fully agree with you there.  Neither of the others played enough to really make a statement either way, but nothing in their numbers tells me they 'did not do very well'.

I watched all of the Finn games at the WC......of hockey. The team was not great, and TT was scratched from the first day, and basically the entire team failed to score, essentially at all, but....

I have heard interviews with players who say that the pace was incredibly fast, and the defense and goalies very tight and hard to find time and space, and yet Aho, and TT both made plays and generally looked good out there, especially considering how young they are (especially Aho). When then settle in with this team I think we are going to be very pleased.

Is Peters in some sort of deep dark bunker under the ice?  What the heck is he doing for Canada anyway?  How many coaches do they need?

Is Peters in some sort of deep dark bunker under the ice?  What the heck is he doing for Canada anyway?  How many coaches do they need?

Yeah, that's a good point, maybe he could get an early release. But I'm sure he wants to be there for the end.

I have no idea, but I'd want him in the press box with comm direct to the head coach, football style. He sees the whole ice so well from behind the bench that I'd have to think he'd be a veritable secret weapon if he had a bird's-eye view.

By 'Touchy' do you mean Tolchinsky?  I'm not saying he lit up the opposition, but i also can't say he 'did not do very well'.  2 games, 1 assist, +1 on a majorly-minus team.  Meanwhile Ryan played 6 games, 2 goals, and a +1.  Neither really played enough games to do well or not so well, but i'd say both did well enough considering the 4th-line minutes they received.

This. And BTW, there's nothing "touchy" about the Chin :)

Ryan actually got time on both the fourth and third lines, and he dominated at the dot (59.3 percent). Everything you want in your fourth-line center--which he could well become if McC tires again, like he did last year.

I didn't know much about Ben Gleason, but I thought he really stood out at the prospects tourney when Fleury went down.  He looked way better than Wesley IMO.  He might get a contract if he has a good camp.

I got there this morning in time for the scrimmage. I was impressed with a lot of the passing with the guys just getting into camp. Slavin was quite impressive in a small sample size portion. Gauthier looked lost at times, but does have a real burst of speed as he shifts gears on the rush. Good speed and as a guy who has been to camp (at least once) for about 10 years now, the speed and size of this group is much improved to my untrained eye.

After the scrimmage, Team B practiced. They ran the usual drills and as the boys got gassed, the passes started going wild. At the end, the coaches had the guys skate until I thought somebody was going to puke. Fun times for all.

I didn't know much about Ben Gleason, but I thought he really stood out at the prospects tourney when Fleury went down.  He looked way better than Wesley IMO.  He might get a contract if he has a good camp.

Agree. Wesley struck me as a carbon copy of his dad, and I mean that in the best possible way. He brings new meaning to "stay at home defenseman." He's never going to be a goal scorer, and it'll be interesting to see whether that brand of D becomes passe as the game continues to get faster. I don't think so; I think every D corps will need at least one of "those guys."

Edited by top-shelf-1

Agree. Wesley struck me as a carbon copy of his dad, and I mean that in the best possible way. He brings new meaning to "stay at home defenseman." He's never going to be a goal scorer, and it'll be interesting to see whether that brand of D becomes passe as the game continues to get faster. I don't think so; I think every D corps will need at least one of "those guys."

I'm guessing that a "shut down" d-man can succeed even if he doesn't score a lot.  But only if he can effectively move the puck; that's going to be a requirement for survival going forward, imo. 

Edited by LakeLivin

It's hard to predict if players that age will improve their skating.  My limited impression of Wesley is he's not an overly gifted skater.  I thought Gleason, over those few games, moved well for a big man and he looked faster and better at generating breakouts.  I learned his number fairly quickly as he kept doing things.  Good luck to him if he doesn't break the organization.

I don't know what Wesley is, I don't know if I'd call him shut down, but he doesn't impress me as a puck mover either.  He's a project but I thought he looked improved over last year.  Being a defensive prospect in our org is tough now days, especially if you are a lefty.

Per Michael Smith:

"Sergey Tolchinsky netted the first goal of the scrimmage for Group A, bursting down the wing with speed and sniping one top shelf. He's building on the strong showing he had in Traverse City."

Just something to keep an eye on. Still don't think there are really any forward spots up for grabs barring injury or massive breakout for a guy like Chin. But for a team that needs more scoring, something to keep an eye on.

I'm guessing that a "shut down" d-man can succeed even if he doesn't score a lot.  But only if he can effectively move the puck; that's going to be a requirement for survival going forward, imo. 

It's hard to predict if players that age will improve their skating.  My limited impression of Wesley is he's not an overly gifted skater. [...]

I don't know what Wesley is, I don't know if I'd call him shut down, but he doesn't impress me as a puck mover either.  He's a project but I thought he looked improved over last year.  Being a defensive prospect in our org is tough now days, especially if you are a lefty.

I don't consider him shut down yet either, just thinking that what it looks like he's being developed for, that stay-at-home guy who supports the rush, versus generates it. Regardless, his skating is definitely not there yet.

The good news is that current management will not elevate him due to his "legacy" status, as former management surely would have.

Wish I could have been there. Hope Ganley is OK.

Some good stuff about m'boy McGinn. Don't count him out yet!

Despite all of our interesting young guns up front, and assuming Aho is already assured a spot. And PDG is pretty much 13th man at least,  I still like Tolchinsky and McGinn as first men up this year, and especially McGinn really has to show this year based on age. That drag move by Tolchinsy was pretty sick. Still, not enough spaces sans injury for McGinn or Chin.

From the Cane's main page:

McGinn opened the scoring in the second period with a backhand that beat Alex Nedeljkovic and evened the score at one.

"I felt like he skated really well," Smith said of McGinn. "He's been through this a few times, so I'm sure there were no nerves with him. He's a guy who needs to have a good showing in camp. He's a guy who has an opportunity to make our team. If he continues to skate the way he has, I think there will be a lot of good things for him."

Edited by remkin

Also some cuts made, pre Peter's return:

Forwards Hudson Elynuik (Spokane - WHL), Steven Lorentz (Peterborough - OHL) and Spencer Smallman (Saint John - QMJHL); defensemen Noah Carroll (Guelph - OHL) and Ben Gleason (Hamilton - OHL); and goaltenders Callum Booth (Quebec - QMJHL) and Jeremy Helvig (Kingston - OHL) will join their respective junior clubs whose seasons are already underway.