The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

If he played in the NHL in 2014-15 and 2015-16 but not 2016-17, does that make him a 'second-year professional'?  I guess that's what it comes down to.

I did not put that smiley in there; i copied that straight from the NHL site.  Their smiley, i s'pose...

edit 2 - oh, got it - it's a b followed by a )... this forum must automatically make it a smiley...

Edited by realmdrakkar

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

If he played in the NHL in 2014-15 and 2015-16 but not 2016-17, does that make him a 'second-year professional'?  I guess that's what it comes down to.

So that would imply that he has played enough games. But would need to be extended.

When it says second year players are exempt from needing protection, does that also mean that they can't be offered up? Or just don't have to be protected?

Edited by remkin

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

So that would imply that he has played enough games. But would need to be extended.

When it says second year players are exempt from needing protection, does that also mean that they can't be offered up?

Yep, 'under contract'.  Not 'RFA with a qualifying offer'.  Looks like Francis has to give him an extension.

Dunno about offering second-year guys anyway.  I would presume not because they don't fit the criteria.  The NHL wants Vegas to have tried and true guys so they have a chance, not younglings.

Edited by realmdrakkar

If my math is right and I haven't missed anything we will likely pick from Bickell and Wallmark, then keep our new D men, and let Carrick, McKeown, and Fleury to AHL. That would get us to 23?

canescountry.com seems to think it's already a done deal -

Forwards:

Jordan Staal (11), Andrej Nestrasil (15), Elias Lindholm (16), Jay McClement (18), Sebastian Aho (20), Lee Stempniak (21), Viktor Stalberg (25), Bryan Bickell (29), Phil di Giuseppe (34), Joakim Nordstrom (42), Victor Rask (49), Jeff Skinner (53), Teuvo Teravainen (86), Martin Frk (91)

Defensemen:

Noah Hanifin (5), Brett Pesce (22), Justin Faulk (27), Roland McKeown (55), Ron Hainsey (65), Jaccob Slavin (74), Klas Dahlbeck

Goalies:

Cam Ward (30), Eddie Lack (31)

36 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

canescountry.com seems to think it's already a done deal -

Forwards:

Jordan Staal (11), Andrej Nestrasil (15), Elias Lindholm (16), Jay McClement (18), Sebastian Aho (20), Lee Stempniak (21), Viktor Stalberg (25), Bryan Bickell (29), Phil di Giuseppe (34), Joakim Nordstrom (42), Victor Rask (49), Jeff Skinner (53), Teuvo Teravainen (86), Martin Frk (91)

Defensemen:

Noah Hanifin (5), Brett Pesce (22), Justin Faulk (27), Roland McKeown (55), Ron Hainsey (65), Jaccob Slavin (74), Klas Dahlbeck

Goalies:

Cam Ward (30), Eddie Lack (31)

So I would wonder what we do with  Nakladal? He's a RHD, which would seem to be the need more.

1 hour ago, rocheccw said:

Pesce is exempt because he is still on his ELC next year.

Yeah, my understanding is that ELC doesn't enter into it, just the two years thing, which is why Pesce will be exempt; he's only in his second year as a pro. But a player who is now in year three of his ELC could be exposed (provided he was also under contract for next season), even though technically (when the draft occurs on June 21) he would still be on his ELC.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

So I would wonder what we do with  Nakladal? He's a RHD, which would seem to be the need more.

According to the story, he's having immigration issues and will likely join the team in Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

According to the story, he's having immigration issues and will likely join the team in Vancouver.

Would that put us over on the roster at that point?

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Would that put us over on the roster at that point?

I would think so.  I'm thinking McKeown comes to Charlotte, but i'm just a punter speculating on a message board.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

I would think so.  I'm thinking McKeown comes to Charlotte, but i'm just a punter speculating on a message board.

Yeah that would make sense. Didn't even see McKeown in there on that list.

Unless we want to go with 13 forwards and 8 d-men after Nakladal joins the club.

edit: I doubt they want McKeown sitting so unless we sit Nakladal, guessing we go with 14 forwards and 7 d-men

Edited by LakeLivin

31 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-acquire-connor-brickley-from-florida-panthers/c-282561010

Welp.  Doesn't change much but i was actually fairly impressed with Sutter.

I liked Sutter too but it was also a guess if he could crack and stick in the lineup.  It has turned out to be an interesting day. I'm not sure what I think about the moves. I need to read more about what has transpired before I even make an educated guess on what it means long term.

I see Brickley will report directly to the Chex. It looks to me like we are not only trying to build depth, add quality prospects but give Ulf a chance to take the Chex to the playoffs.  "A Winning Culture"

37 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I need to read more about what has transpired before I even make an educated guess on what it means long term.

Not sure about long term, but to me it indicates that RF thinks he can win now in addition to building for the future. Remember how JR got handcuffed by injuries to his defense a few years back?  Seems like RF is making sure he's got at least serviceable backups on tap if the need should arise. 

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Anyone else having intermittent problems posting?  When it happens I can insert a file but there's no way to add text.  Is it just me?

I have problems when i'm going to quote someone and then change my mind and close it down (happens now and again)... then when i come back to post later the quote still shows up and i can't type anything or even backspace the quote out.  Took me a couple times to figure out i could just submit, go back and delete the post, and then go about my business.  Not sure if that would work in your case.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Justin Falk was put on waivers by Buffalo. I think we should claim him just for the play-by-play possibilities: Falk to Faulk to Frk . . . he scores!!!

I have screamed that many nights, F....F....F....

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Trump got to him.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

11 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Trump got to him.

Now that's funny, no matter which side you're on. :lol:

Edited by LakeLivin